PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my 7290.

stealingfrom
02-04-2008, 02:20 PM
My phone is constantly sending and receiving data (it has the arrows in the upper-right corner) despite inactivity. I'm not doing anything with the device to make it do this. As it does this, the battery drains like crazy, as well.

Also, on a bit more tolerable note, my phone has stopped displaying the numbers/names (given I have the numbers programmed in already) when I receive calls. Everything comes up as UNKNOWN NUMBER. These two things started occurring around the same time.

Thanks.

JSanders
02-04-2008, 02:57 PM
When was the last time you pulled the battery and rebooted? With the device powered ON, remove the battery and replace, reboot.

That may help some application which might be running in the background, to close. Your data arrows you will see even at odd time because your BB is constantly communicating with the internet and local cell towers to update your location, etc.

stealingfrom
02-04-2008, 03:37 PM
When was the last time you pulled the battery and rebooted? With the device powered ON, remove the battery and replace, reboot.

That may help some application which might be running in the background, to close. Your data arrows you will see even at odd time because your BB is constantly communicating with the internet and local cell towers to update your location, etc.

I've tried that (battery thing) multiple times since it began doing this, but the problem persists.

I'm familiar with it doing updates like that, but this is completely different. What my BB is doing is pretty much ceaseless whenever the device is turned on and, as I said, it drains the battery at an alarming rate.

I appreciate your assistance, though.

JSanders
02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Are you in a low signal area? That will drain a good battery faster than anything. Are you working in a new building, etc?

stealingfrom
02-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Nope, not that either. It's happening in places with full service bars, places I've used it from hundreds of times. I've been using the phone for a good while now and it only recently started doing this.

Another thing: when it's doing the constant arrows thing, people trying to call my phone often can't get through and instead go straight to my voicemail. I don't understand.

JSanders
02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Are you using some additional application that you have not used in the past? Is an active data application (like a web browser) pulling data?

stealingfrom
02-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Nope, no new applications, and I have it set now to deny connections to anything that isn't the phone.

JSanders
02-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Offhand, that is about all I can think of. Basically, your BB has not applications using data actively, on it?

Let's wait and see what input another might have.

mavsx
02-12-2008, 09:53 AM
i got nothing for ya.. i'd wipe it man.

EDIT: and when i say wipe..i mean JL_Cmder wipe :)

crisambo
02-13-2008, 05:16 PM
7290 is a GSM device... your profile shows Sprint as your carrier. . . I would assume that it's one or the other . . If you're truly using a 7290 and on a GSM network, is it possible that you're roaming between at&t and tmo (or another gsm carrier)?

stealingfrom
02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm very glad you mentioned that. I had always assumed my phone to be a -90 (going by pictures and what someone had told me), but I just checked and it's a 7250. Does this change anything about how I should be approaching the problem? Thanks!

crisambo
02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
. . . Another thing: when it's doing the constant arrows thing, people trying to call my phone often can't get through and instead go straight to my voicemail. I don't understand.

Typically, calls to a mobile number that gets forwarded straight to Voicemail system is a sure sign that your device is not registered/connected to the carrier's network at that point in time, hence the constant send/receive action of the BB trying to validate a network connection. As JS had mentioned earlier, a BB that constantly hunts for a signal will drain its battery faster than a device that's firmly latched on to the network.

You may want to call Sprint's tech support and mention that calls to your device are being redirected to VM instantly even though you have signal bars indicated on your handheld.