PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Contacts

Masood_anwar
02-06-2008, 05:04 AM
Hi All

I have somthing strange going on with a Blackberry pearl and I thought I'd pick your brains.

I have several contacts on my sim phone book and in the address book. When users are calling the numbers are showing up as unknown although they are in the phonebook and contact list.

Numbers are definatly not being with held
I have tested creating myself in the contact list and phoning and the number shows up and my name so it appears it happens only on several users.

One thing I did notice is that several number have a +44 which was used when I was out of the country, would that make a difference now I'm back in the UK recieving calls.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks In Advance

crossbones
02-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Are all callers coming up as unknown?

It states unknown when the person calling has their number witheld.

Also check your Smart dailling settings are setup for your area.

I assume you are in the usa, go into the call log, hit the menu button and select options. Then scroll to smart dialling.

Set your country code to the correct one and make sure your national number length is set to the correct one for your country.

If thats all setup then Ive no idea!

crossbones
02-06-2008, 07:27 AM
ooh just to add, if the names on the SIM or device have exactly the same number and name doubled up, it won't display the caller correctly either!

Masood_anwar
02-06-2008, 07:59 AM
In UK as opposed to US
Currently set up as +44 so right country code

Weird thing is that it doesnt happen to all contacts only certain contacts
numbers are not with held as have had user call the number comes up on the handheld but not the name.

User is definatly in the sim phone book and contacts list

have had +44 in front of the number
but works fine on other contacts with +44 in front.

Bit stumped really.

crossbones
02-06-2008, 08:54 AM
In UK
Weird thing is that it doesnt happen to all contacts only certain contacts

The people calling you have their number witheld then. Thats the message that appears on a blackberry in that event.

For instance my brother always comes up as that as his number is withheld at network level.

Ask them to test it by calling you with the code *31# infront of your number and see if it comes through. Also try deleting the number from the sim or the phone. Though I don't think that makes much difference on BB's

a.petrov
02-29-2008, 06:51 AM
i feel your pain :-( join the club :-(
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/119913-caller-id-no-address-book-name-only-number.html

Klotar
02-29-2008, 08:04 AM
A work around is if you want to keep those numbers for use while out of the country, yet have them still work for dialing out and caller id while in the country, is to set up a second number for each contact that this affects.

Keep the old number where it is, and add the new number without the +44.

This also solves SMS problems so that names show up instead of just numbers.