PDA

View Full Version : BB 8830 vs Pearl 8130 on Alltel

shoppergirl
02-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Can some of you give me some feedback on comparison of these two models?

I know that 8830 does not have camera but has international abilities. The Pearl has camera but no international. I know Pearl has Suretype and 8830 has Qwerty. I know those things but what I am interested in durability, reliability.

I had someone tell me that their work recommended the 8830 over 8130 due to the reliability issue but I wanted to see if anyone else could post relative to this.

Also is there anyway to get the Suretype to be more like the Qwerty because I understand Suretype is like T-9 on Razr and I hate T-9.

I really don't use my camera much on my Razr and don't travel internationally so those are not major issues. I want something that is going to hold up and work. I really like that the Pearl is smaller and that you can do some neat gadgety type things with it (i.e. change trackball color, etc.) but since my eyesight isn't what it used to be, I like that the 8830 has a little larger screen.

So as you can see, it is pretty much a dead even toss up between the 2, so that is why I thought I should look at the reliability, durability issue. Also if 8830 has been out a while, it may be replaced soon.

I am on the Alltel network because I live in a small town and we don't get good coverage for the larger cos like Verizon, Sprint, AT&T so I hope someone has some input with Alltel.

Thanks for all help. I am just torn over which one. I may just have to flip for it.

I want a phone, PDA gadget phone. I don't have to have it for work but would like to have everything in one.

aiharkness
02-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

If features/functions don't make the decision for you, my advice is to go to a store if you can and handle each one, see which you like the feel of better. Some people don't like suretype and never get used to it. Maybe that's you. If you think so, then your decision is made.

I can't comment on the reliabilty question. I just don't know anything.

juwaack68
02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I actually have both the 8830 and 8130 from Sprint (one is work, one is personal).

The SureType is actually very good, and I prefer to type on the smaller keyboard over the full keyboard - I can type a LOT faster. What I tell people is to NOT look at the screen as you're typing - just press the keys you need (once) to spell the word you want and when you get to the end of the word the device will give you the word you want (95% of the time anyway).

I will tell you, that in my experience, the trackball on the 8830 seems more durable than on the 8130.

I am 99% sure you cannot change the trackball color on the 8130 - only on the 8100 device.

shoppergirl
02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the input.

juwaack, do you notice a big difference in the size of Pearl vs 8830 since you use both?

Do you use a screen protector or case for either or both?

juwaack68
02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the input.

juwaack, do you notice a big difference in the size of Pearl vs 8830 since you use both?

Do you use a screen protector or case for either or both?

Well, there is an obvious difference in size since the 8830 has the full keyboard. I do like the 8130 for phone calls since it is smaller, and the standard headphone jack is VERY nice, along with the dual ear headset that comes with it (nice that it has a mute button right on the cord of the headset). The 8830 doesn't even come with a wired headset...or any headset.

And I don't use screen protectors, but both have leather cases. The 8830 has the stock swivel holster that came with it and the 8130 has the stock leather 'sleeve' that came with it (and makes it fit nice in my pocket).

shoppergirl
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
juwaack, so it sounds like you prefer the 8130, just from what you said. Sounds like the headset to the 8130 quite a bit.

Is reception about equal or better on one than the other?

juwaack68
02-07-2008, 09:27 PM
The reception is the same on both, from what I've experienced.

shoppergirl
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
the standard headphone jack is VERY nice,

So what size is the headphone jack on the 8830?

juwaack68
02-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Smaller than a standard head phone jack, so you have to use one that is specific to Blackberry devices (or cell phones, too, I think). All of my previous devices (7510, 7520, 7100i, 7130e) all came with a wired earpiece and I could use the same one on any of those devices.

The 8130 has a larger jack so you could use iPod headphones if you wanted (just for listening to music). For phone calls, you'd obviously need the earpiece with the microphone.

shoppergirl
02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks juwaack.

I still cannot decide. Everytime I think I have decided someone points out something else that tilts the scales the other way. Back and forth, back and forth. Guess I just need to flip a coin because it seems to be an even comparison for my purposes, wants, etc.

I'm not good with decisions especially when they are so close.

juwaack68
02-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Does Alltel have a return policy where you can try it out for 2 weeks or something? If so, I'd recommend trying out the 8130, and if you really hate the keyboard you can get the 8830.

shoppergirl
02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I think they still have like a 15 day return policy. I would have to ask to be sure what it is now. That is a thought.

I do keep going back to a couple of things with the 8830. My cousin has just gotten one in the last wk or so. She choose the 8830 over Pearl because her employer does not recommend the Pearl partly due to Quality. And the screen on the 8830 is probably a little larger, just because of the Qwerty keyboard.

juwaack68
02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
That's a good point - the screen is larger making it a wee bit easier when browsing the web.

Not sure about the quality thing.....the 8130 is pretty sturdy (have dropped mine, but while in the holster). Just the trackball thing I mentioned above.

shoppergirl
02-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Any comments on comparison of loudness of ringtones. I have read some comments about 8830's ringtones being very low. And 8130 having good loud ringtones.

Any comments?.....

Redflea
02-08-2008, 01:21 PM
8130 is plenty loud for me, don't know about the 8830 loudness.

I can say that the 8830 keyboard was a big disappointment for me. Didn't like the feel and response at all.

juwaack68
02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I can say that the 8830 keyboard was a big disappointment for me. Didn't like the feel and response at all.

I'm with you there - the keys are so close together on the 8830 it can be difficult to type.... I prefer typing on the 8130.