PDA

View Full Version : does GPS work during phone call

bosoxfan
02-07-2008, 10:06 PM
New to this forum- just got Curve this week (AT&T) and have a question regarding the GPS functionality.

Does the TeleNav GPS continue to work if you get a phone call? I tried both at the same time today and it seemed that the TeleNav was tracking my progress, but I did get a message that said "could not connect to server". Then when I disconnected call, I had to restart TeleNav.

What is suppose to happen?

Thanks.

Sith_Apprentice
02-07-2008, 10:06 PM
yes it will continue, you will hear telenav in your ear telling you the next direction. it shouldnt give an error unless it is trying to download the traffic data while you are on the call.

DallasFlier
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
yes it will continue, you will hear telenav in your ear telling you the next direction. it shouldnt give an error unless it is trying to download the traffic data while you are on the call.
It might also possibly give an error when it tries to download the next section of map to display? I think its supposed to be silent in both of those cases, but if it throws an error, I'd think it would happen for any download, be it traffic data or maps, since its trying to contact the same server either way.

It should definitely keep navigating though, although the map display will quit updating.

bosoxfan
02-07-2008, 11:07 PM
thanks for the responses.

I am new to TeleNav, so still getting used to the differences between that and my Garmin GPS. I did notice that every few minutes, TeleNav gives me an audible message that it is checking for traffic. I wonder if that is what gave me the cannot connect message.

I'll have to check the settings of TeleNav and continue to play around with it.

kjjb0204
02-08-2008, 12:07 AM
From Telenav site:

If you answer the call, TeleNav will be operating but “suspended.”
After the call, press the Escape key to end the call. At this point,
TeleNav should resume from its suspended state. If you are
navigating and have gotten off the route, TeleNav will sound a
deviation jingle and obtain a new route for you.
NOTE: When TeleNav briefly uses the data network, incoming calls
may be blocked. When you are on an incoming call, TeleNav is still
running and will periodically collect a GPS fix from the internal GPS
receiver. When this fix is taken, there may be a very brief loss of
intelligibility on the received audio from the caller.

http://www.telenav.com/support/user-guide/files/TeleNav%20v5.1%20Users%20Guide%20-%20ATT%20BB%208100%208300%208310%208700%208800.pdf