PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Push Hotmail - (newbie )

techovia
02-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi,

I think I am about to get a BlackBerry to replace my WM6 Blackjack but one feature that I really want to retain is Push Hotmail email.

I have a Windows Live Hotmail Plus email subscription ( paid yearly ) and have been doing push email with no problems on my BlackJack. I have had this email account for at least 5 years.

I have read multiple threads on here that stat that Hotmail push will work / wont work, or that its date related or if its a paid subscription etc etc etc

Can anybody please confirm if Windows Live Hotmail Plus will support push email on the Blackberry (not forwarded to another account ) and if there are any specific BlackBerry's that it will work with etc. Also do I need any Blackberry subscriptions to make this work .

Sorry for the questions, I am perhaps slow on the uptake, and am just trying to get the definitive answer as the local phone stores could not give me a convincing answer ( as they were giving me different answers! )

Thank you in advance

:smile:

JSanders
02-08-2008, 02:53 PM
The Hotmail Plus accounts absolutely do work with Push email. You don't have anything to worry about. On all BlackBerrys.

And, welcome to the BBF.

Sith_Apprentice
02-08-2008, 02:56 PM
in addition there is a work around where you can forward your hotmail account to the @<hidden> account and then you can set the reply to address to your @<hidden> account in the BIS settings

Josh615
02-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Could one of yall explain this in stupid peoples terms? I mean how to do it. I would love to get my hotmail pushed to the bb. I spent hours a couple months ago trying to figure out and eventually just gave up.

Sith_Apprentice
02-08-2008, 07:58 PM
log into hotmail. go to settings, and set up forwarding. forward to your BIS email address (BISID@<hidden>). Now log into your BIS account, go to your BIS email address and hit edit. under replyto address type yourid@<hidden>. When you receive an email it gets forwarded to your BIS account, when you reply it shows from your hotmail account

Redflea
02-08-2008, 08:22 PM
He said "Stupid People's Terms," Sith. You were supposed to call him "Mongo" as well. Sheesh - people just don't care about protocol any more...

;-)

Techovia...welcome (hopefully) to the BB world. :)

Sith_Apprentice
02-08-2008, 09:07 PM
He said "Stupid People's Terms," Sith. You were supposed to call him "Mongo" as well. Sheesh - people just don't care about protocol any more...

;-)

Techovia...welcome (hopefully) to the BB world. :)

LOL i keep forgetting thats in the ToS :oops:

NickiJ
02-08-2008, 10:53 PM
You can also just set up your hotmail account as an account on BIS. That's what I did and it's great. I never bothered with a blackberry.com email. I also have gmail and one IMAP account which I forward to my Windows Live Mail account. I have separate mailboxes for my IMAP and my WLM, so it makes both checking and responding very easy.

Sith_Apprentice
02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
you can only set it up if you have hotmail premium or a grandfathered hotmail account. most do not have POP3 or IMAP access

NickiJ
02-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I thought that's what s/he said they had - Windows Live Hotmail Plus the paid subscription (which I believe became Windows Live Mail).

Sith_Apprentice
02-08-2008, 11:05 PM
i thought live mail seemed to be the MSN email and hotmail still seems to be seperate on their site. again i havent checked in about 2 weeks on this though.

ricpac
02-09-2008, 01:42 AM
i think they're one and the same, or i could be wrong; nevertheless, i have hotmail and it still works

Sith_Apprentice
02-09-2008, 01:45 AM
yeah either way it works on the premium service (y)

abigailwheeler
05-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Is it not the case that signing up to Hotmail Plus enables you to have your hotmail emails pushed through to your device?

JSanders
05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
abigailwheeler, having a Hotmail Plus account should alleviate any problems.

Welcome to the Forums, also.

Bigmark173
05-19-2008, 09:28 AM
You may also note that the Folks in Canada (RIM) and the folks in Washington (BG and his boys) have recently annouced a collaboration that will allow Hotmail/MSN/MSNLive to be accessed on the BB. This is SUPPOSED to be worked out this summer, but we'll see what happens. I can SEND using my MSN account on my BB, but I cannot receive yet. I don't use it enough to merit paying the additional $20/year for premium service...especially with all the junk mail I get with MSN.

Snownation
05-21-2008, 03:40 AM
Is it the case that post 2002 accounts need to be upgraded to access email from their BB?

I can currently SEND emails from my BB, but not RECEIVE, so i need Plus?

shanahan meathorn
06-06-2008, 06:22 PM
i have 2 hotmail accounts one i have been using since about 1999 and one i created last year. i configured both on my blackberry and the 9 year old account never responded. the new account i could send emails but not receive. i decided it was worth the $20 to upgrade the new account to premium hotmail and i could immediately send and receive emails on my bb. so i have not found the grandfather rule to be true and i would say the $20 is well worth the hassle of identifying a truly effective work around...which is unlikely

Germerican
06-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Since this has not yet been mentioned here, I will repost what I already mentioned in another post.

I've heard so many people say that you need a Hotmail Plus account in order to add Hotmail to your BB. Here's my experience...

I've had my main hotmail account since August of 1999 and upgraded to a Plus Account a couple of months back. Added it to my BB without any problem. Then I created a brand new hotmail account and tried to add this one to my BB. Wouldn't work... until...
I added the account in Windows Live Mail.

Once the account was added I was able to add it to my BB without any problems as well.

Now, I'm not sure why I was able to add my main account right away. Could be one of three reasons:

1. Because it was grandfathered.
2. Because it is a Hotmail Plus Account.
3. Because I had it added to Windows Live Mail.

I think it was either reason 1 or 2 (or maybe both).

The new account I created I was only able to add to the BB after adding it to Windows Live Mail.

So, if you have trouble adding your Hotmail account, download Windows Live Mail, add the account there and try again.