PDA

View Full Version : Recommended apps for a newbie?

dragoro
02-10-2008, 02:10 AM
I know its probably been asked a thousand time, I've looked through the faqs and have no idea what I'd search for. I have jive and opera so far. Sorry for being a pain in the butt :(

Getup1995
02-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Check the Aftermarket Software section there are many great apps listed, detailed, and reviewed there.

ricpac
02-10-2008, 08:11 AM
that's all you need! if you want the list of apps, pls head on over to the AfterMarket Software Section (http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/)
there's a thread there that lists all apps http://www.blackberryforums.com/aftermarket-software/61499-list-latest-versions-3rd-party-software-mini-version-tracker.html

aiharkness
02-10-2008, 08:17 AM
It depends on what you need to do. I would recommend Beyond411 as something most people would probably want on their blackberry. Other than that, I agree with the above post about browsing the aftermarket software forum. And just try stuff. If you don't like it or don't need it, uninstall it and try something else. Just watch your memory and be cautious and do a little research on what you are installing.

Rainbowtyedye
02-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I've used DialByWord quite often. Since my BB doesn't have traditional phone letters on the number keys I found it hard to call companies who use words for their phone numbers. DialByWord will translate the word in to the number then dial it for you.

I think it was the first app I downloaded.

Sith_Apprentice
02-10-2008, 09:41 AM
I've used DialByWord quite often. Since my BB doesn't have traditional phone letters on the number keys I found it hard to call companies who use words for their phone numbers. DialByWord will translate the word in to the number then dial it for you.

just hold the ALT key while dialing and dial the letters
to dial 1800 flowers, you dial 1800, hold alt and type the letters F L O W E R S

the blackberry will translate the letters into numbers

JSanders
02-10-2008, 09:42 AM

On your BB, just hold down the ALT key and spell the word you need to dial, such as 1800 CONTACTS. Hold down the ALT key for the CONTACTS part, and let the BB figure the numbers.

Much simpler, and it works.

Rainbowtyedye
02-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Dangit! I want my $2.99 back for buying DialByNumber. Ah, live and learn.

Don't mean to threadjack, but since you mentioned that ALT plus the letter works, does it also work the same when you call a number, get the automated directory and they ask for you to put in the first 3 letters of the last name of the person you are looking for?

juwaack68
02-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Yep, it does work the same.