PDA

View Full Version : 8700 series

ep8703
02-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi guy's I'm using the 8703E and Alltel stop selling it on there site. Which has always been Alltel’s weak spot getting phones and not seem to get the phones other carriers get? They have the 8830 world addition which I'm not a big fan of
I first tried the Q and it was no turning back I the went the treo 700wx.
How do you update your phone when you're limited by what the carrier has to offer? I would like to stay in that series or find some other that has the same type of keyboard. And size I mean with wearing xxl gloves I need something I can hold on to.

I also can't find my post or question about email is there a extra charge from BB to use there push mail service?

Sith_Apprentice
02-10-2008, 09:44 AM
You want to stay in the series of the Treo? Keep in mind that although the 8130 pearl is smaller in size, the buttons are actually much larger than other PDAs.

JSanders
02-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Get a BB from another carrier or a trusted used device (such as from our Buy Sell section here) and have it unlocked to use on Alltel. Make sure you get a BB on the CDMA network such as a Sprint device.

Sith_Apprentice
02-10-2008, 09:47 AM
JS, I thought alltel only allows their equipment on their network, since they are basically a verizon wannabe? They use Verizons network but only allow alltel ESNs to be activated

JSanders
02-10-2008, 09:48 AM
ok, That I didn't know about Alltel.

Sith_Apprentice
02-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, they are a typical CDMA carrier, "only our devices work on our network". Its a load of BS actually since Sprint will be unlocking their devices to use on other networks "SOMETIME" in the future

aiharkness
02-10-2008, 09:57 AM
To the OP, are you locked into Alltel? Is there another carrier that would be as good for you?

On your other question, you will need a blackberry data plan -- which sounds like you would use BIS -- to get push email. I don't know Alltel's plans. It might be bundled or an add on.

ep8703
02-10-2008, 10:10 AM
You want to stay in the series of the Treo? Keep in mind that although the 8130 pearl is smaller in size, the buttons are actually much larger than other PDAs.

no there's no way i could use a pearl and i don't want to stay with the treo
I'm becoming a BB fan so i wanted to stay with that type of size phone 8700 series. i had a old samsug sprint phone which after fighting with sprint to give me unlock code i was able to get alltel also with a fight to active it. but it worked. i also believe cause it was cdma phone that it should but tech scared me with roaming since they would get a bill a month after the current month so that could be huge:-( didn't want to take the change.

Sith_Apprentice
02-10-2008, 10:14 AM
There are no other devices that are close in size to the 8700 besides the 8830. The curve for cdma is rumored to be releasing soon, but havent heard much about alltel. i am sure they will get it when/if sprint/verizon get it, but thats all the info i have seen

ep8703
02-10-2008, 10:38 AM
To the OP, are you locked into Alltel? Is there another carrier that would be as good for you?

On your other question, you will need a blackberry data plan -- which sounds like you would use BIS -- to get push email. I don't know Alltel's plans. It might be bundled or an add on.

what's OP ? that circle with alltel is hard to beat!!! i like the plans but not there phones
they get them late and the first to drop them. sprint still has the 8703e in there line up.

aiharkness
02-10-2008, 10:45 AM
op = original post/original poster

Sith_Apprentice
02-10-2008, 10:46 AM
alltel's my circle would be useless for me, just as Tmobile's MyFaves is. If you talk to more than 20 people, you get a rough deal on the plan minutes.

aiharkness
02-10-2008, 10:54 AM
The TMO faves worked out real well for us . . . Still have daughter on our family plan. I don't know how someone can do thousands and thousands of minutes (and that's on top of the bukoo text messages). If it were just me and my wife, no big deal.

If there were another carrier that provide same or better coverage where I live and work and the blackberry were that important to me, I would switch. We had Alltel originally. When I decided to get a blackberry, we switched to TMO. At the time, Alltel here didn't even sell a blackberry.

ep8703
02-10-2008, 10:55 AM
i don't have 20 people its for for my wife and grand daughter
how is it rough on you min?

Sith_Apprentice
02-10-2008, 10:56 AM
you are talking to someone with over 10k contacts :razz: I talk to WAY too many people to have a max 20 free. Alltel and Tmobile dont have the same subscriber base as ATT/Verizon. Mobile to Mobile keeps my minute usage with those two under 4000/mo lol

I was saying if you have more than 20 people you talk to regularly, the myfaves or my circle plans are not good deals

JSanders
02-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I was lucky when I got my first cell plan, it was for free ANY mobile to mobile, any carrier. That was with PowerTel, which became VoiceStream and finally TMobile. My plan was grandfathered in. :)

Sith_Apprentice
02-10-2008, 11:11 AM
and used to be Sprint Spectrum. I loved activating those phones. all you do is hand the phone to the costumer, say, call this number, and that was it.

ep8703
02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
this mine for this month
Used
Anytime Minutes 187
Night and Weekend Minutes 277
Mobile-to-Mobile Minutes 2197
Outgoing Text Msg 144
Incoming Text Msg 120
DataKB 33544

the circle works for us my son,daughter inlaw,wife,are all on alltel.

Sith_Apprentice
02-10-2008, 11:13 AM
yeah for small groups it is fantastic. just saying for those with more than 20 frequently used contacts, its not so good

orangehoody
02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi guy's I'm using the 8703E and Alltel stop selling it on there site. Which has always been Alltel’s weak spot getting phones and not seem to get the phones other carriers get? They have the 8830 world addition which I'm not a big fan of
I first tried the Q and it was no turning back I the went the treo 700wx.
How do you update your phone when you're limited by what the carrier has to offer? I would like to stay in that series or find some other that has the same type of keyboard. And size I mean with wearing xxl gloves I need something I can hold on to.

I also can't find my post or question about email is there a extra charge from BB to use there push mail service?

they actually do still sell the 8703e on there website

takeshi
02-11-2008, 02:04 PM
How do you update your phone when you're limited by what the carrier has to offer?
That's one reason why I prefer GSM carriers.