PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Blackberry Shell

raja
07-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello, all, my name is Raja and I just came across this forum today.

I am currently researching patents and copyrights regarding the reproduction of Blackberry shells/housing. I am developing a plan to produce 'chrome' shells for the 7520 and earlier models. Basically, the entire Blackberry, will look the same as the frame that surrounds the screen, the silver area that is.

I have a freind that works at RIM and he is also helping me in this research. Anyway, at this early stage, I am wondering if there is even a market for this. I know myself, personally, do not like the black shell. I would be willing to void the warranty and replace the black with some bling. I am just curious what you all think about this, so any ideas, feedback or questions would be nice.

(I have browsed around the net and this site and have seen a thread where a guy actually painted his Blackberry chrome silver, but I don't recall seeing any pics)

Thanks
8-)
(y)

Dawg
07-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Make me a red housing for a 7520 and I would gladly buy it

techker
07-10-2005, 06:52 PM
so how is it comming?

cohiba smoker
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
I would take a different color shell, not sure about all chrome though.

jfh4k0
07-10-2005, 08:54 PM
will it still be plastic? if so, i say dont waste your time.. what good is plastic bling.. i'll tell you what I would pay for maybe a metal case, but definitely a ruberized impact proof bb. color would be good--yellow and black, red and black--orange and black. but who cares? go for a drop proof device. bb are no longer just an exec communication device. they are for peoplein plants and in the field they need sturdy hardware to deal w/ the bump and grind of the work a day world.

raja
07-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Dawg,

I would definitely be doing all the popular colours, no doubt on red.

techker,

It's very early right now, and I just made this post today. I will try my best to check in here and to post updates, legal issues make it difficult to articulate too much.

cohiba smoker,

What color do you like....how about a different color front and back?

graham53
07-10-2005, 09:13 PM
why not just skinit like 4000 designs and you dont loose the warrenty
www.skinit.com

Jase88
07-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (7250: BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I believe RIM is in the process of developing a "ruggedized" version of the Blackberry. I'm not sure if that would include a metal case or not.

I would suggest, while working on a new shell, develop a holster that doesn't scratch the device and offers better protection. RIM hasn't gotten this right yet--I wouldn't dare use the included holster with my Blackberry.

Dawg
07-11-2005, 06:19 AM
I am not real impressed with skin it I ordered a product from skin it on july 1st its now the 11th and still havent even shipped the product. I ordered my wife a skinit for her i730 I just dont understand why it takes so long to ship.

greggebhardt
07-11-2005, 06:46 AM
I would pay BIG for a red case. Don't want no skins!

raja
07-11-2005, 10:18 AM
will it still be plastic? if so, i say dont waste your time.. what good is plastic bling.. i'll tell you what I would pay for maybe a metal case, but definitely a ruberized impact proof bb. color would be good--yellow and black, red and black--orange and black. but who cares? go for a drop proof device. bb are no longer just an exec communication device. they are for peoplein plants and in the field they need sturdy hardware to deal w/ the bump and grind of the work a day world.

The plastic option will be there as it is cheaper to produce and still makes viable business sense, at least I think so. I think there is enough users out there (like you mentioned) that want the durability of plastic, albeit, in a different colour. Once RIM taps China, there will be an a whole new market.

Plastic bling, lol..that is tacky. The intended chrome will be made from a light shiney metal.

graham53,

Skinning is not the look I want to acheive here, that's more like a hub cap as opposed to a real rim, no pun intended. :D

Jase88,

You are right, point taken. Thanks.

Dawg,

I'd like to know how that skin worked out for you, keep me posted.

greggebhardt,

If you don't mind, what do you think would be a fair price bracket for a red plastic housing, front only?

cohiba smoker
07-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Dawg,

cohiba smoker,

What color do you like....how about a different color front and back?

I'm a HUGE PACKERS fan so yellow/green would be my bling.... but would problem buy more than 1. Like a hat, it needs to match my colors of the day. Easy changing would be great...