PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of T-Mobile Wi-Fi VOIP

ecoreef
02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
I got 1 more week to decide whether or not to opt out of my Alltel 30-day trial. I get poor reception at work, which is where I spend most of my day and that's a little frustrating. I'm thinking my reception would be similar with Verizon, as it sounds like they use the same towers as Alltel, so one other possibility may be going with the T-Mobile wi-fi VOIP. I have wireless at my 2 places of business and at home, so this may be a logical solution to my problem. I'm looking for any opinion on the VOIP experience? How is the quality when compared to regular cell phone use? Pros and cons? I'd love to hear some feedback.

jeremyckitching
02-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

When I was using the BlackBerry curve calls for me always sounded clear, and I never had any drops unless UMA was just completely down.

ecoreef
02-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Are you using the Pearl with VOIP now?

jeremyckitching
02-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

No. That would be the 8120 and I only have the 8100. I think I migh get the 8120 when it is released for T-Mobile.

monkeypaw
02-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Voice quality over UMA is very good for me. Slightly better than the cell network. I left myself a voicemail over UMA from Asia and it sounded like I was calling from a landline.

Early on, UMA was hit and miss in terms of connecting. I find that in the last 2 months, it's now a real service. Have not had a call problem since some time in December. But I think being in California and close to Tmobile's equipment in Washington? or Oregon? helps.

The only quirk is that some routers don't play well with the Curve. If you could find out what kind of wireless routers you have at work, someone here could probably tell you if they have success with that particular model.