PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Personal (hotmail, BIS, etc.) email separate from company (BES) email

rmkoll
02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
My comapny uses a BES Server to push my comapny email to my BlackBerry Pearl 8130. I have setup 2 mail accounts, my company email account which sync wireless with exchange server (BES) and another Hotmail account (setup using BIS) in which the BlackBerry added an additional icon and mail queue on the BlackBerry desktop. The new email queue for the Hotmail account is fine and I receive all of my Hotmail there, but I also receive copies of the same Hotmail email is the main, exchange server BES queue, which is very annoying. I would really like to keep my personal and company email separate. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Rob

aiharkness
02-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

See http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BES_Users_FAQ#I_want_to_keep_my_personal_mail_and_work_mail_separate.__How_can_I_separate_my_BES_mail_from_my_BIS_mail.3F

I think I read the app mentioned is not compatible with the newer OS versions but not sure. Search before you go to any trouble.

x14
02-17-2008, 02:21 PM
You need Empower BES MailBox

Empower Your BlackBerry (http://www.getempower.com/Empower_BES_MailBox.php)

rmkoll
02-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info. Is there a good third-party app that will read my Hotmail while keeping it separate from my BES email?

Redflea
02-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Empower's BES Mailbox is not compatible (yet) with the 4.3 OS.

rmkoll
02-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Do you know if any good third-party Hotmail viewers that will keep the mail separate? I doesn't need to be fancy just the basics. Thanks.

Redflea
02-17-2008, 03:03 PM
There's no way to keep the Hotmail messages out of your Messages folder on the BB.

You can view only the Hotmail messages in the Hotmail account folder on your BB, but you can't view only your Work emails...they are always mixed together w/your other account emails in the Messages folder.

ryanclemson
04-30-2008, 07:53 PM
My girlfriend has a pearl 8130 (os: 4.3) and was wondering how to separate her gmail and and bes messages. She called verizon and they recommended this workaround which allows you to setup a shortcut key to filter the messages in your Messages folder.

Here's how:

-At the home screen, open Messages.

-Press options (the button with all of the dots to the left of the trackball).

-Scroll down and select Search

-Scroll down and change service to Desktop, leave everything else blank/default.

-choose menu > save.

-Set the title to something (ex. BES Mail) - it doesn't really matter

-then choose a shortcut letter (this will be the shortcut key). we chose the ! key

-Save your settings.

When you return to the messages folder, you can filter out your BES messages by pressing ALT and the shortcut key you assigned earlier. not ideal, but a good workaround.

ryan

legacyb4
05-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Works for me!

My girlfriend has a pearl 8130 (os: 4.3) and was wondering how to separate her gmail and and bes messages. She called verizon and they recommended this workaround which allows you to setup a shortcut key to filter the messages in your Messages folder.

Here's how:

-At the home screen, open Messages.

-Press options (the button with all of the dots to the left of the trackball).

-Scroll down and select Search

-Scroll down and change service to Desktop, leave everything else blank/default.

-choose menu > save.

-Set the title to something (ex. BES Mail) - it doesn't really matter

-then choose a shortcut letter (this will be the shortcut key). we chose the ! key

-Save your settings.

When you return to the messages folder, you can filter out your BES messages by pressing ALT and the shortcut key you assigned earlier. not ideal, but a good workaround.

ryan

takeshi
05-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Do you know if any good third-party Hotmail viewers that will keep the mail separate? I doesn't need to be fancy just the basics.
Why are you looking for a Hotmail viewer? You should have a separate icon for Hotmail. AFAIK there isn't one. You'd need to use the Empower app to separate BES mail.

Dubdub
05-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Just keep in mind that it is never a good idea to mix personal info, email, contacts, SMS, and phone calls on a company supplied cell phone, BB, PDA or what have you. There is considerable debate as to what the company can look at as far as email goes, but I don't think it is worth the risk.

Just my opinion.

GrandMstrBud
09-01-2008, 06:54 PM
You need Empower BES MailBox

Empower Your BlackBerry (http://www.getempower.com/Empower_BES_MailBox.php)

It's a shame you have to pay for a 3rd party application in order to separate your e-mails. RIM should include this capability in their OS.