PDA

View Full Version : Emails not being sent from blackberry to specific domain.

balandar
02-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I have 6 blackberry's in my organization. Three of them have been unable to send mail since yesterday to the same organization's domain. They all use pop3.

E.G. Mail sent from someone@<hidden> to someoneelse@<hidden> will not work. But it can send to external email accounts.

I have attempted to resend service books, which has not worked. I have deleted the email account and recreated with no luck.

We are running Exchange 2003 server with pop3 enabled. Nothing has changed on the server since yesterday, yet those three blackberry's are now failing to send. One is a 8830, one a 7130e, and I am unsure about the third as it's out of office.

Any ideas? Or what should I try/look for?

Sith_Apprentice
02-19-2008, 02:34 PM
welcome to the forums. Are you showing the emails as not sent, or not received? Are all these devices on a BES?

juwaack68
02-19-2008, 02:35 PM
And what exactly happens when you do try to send emails to that same domain? Do you see a check mark, or a red X? If a red X, what is the message status?

balandar
02-19-2008, 03:03 PM
It's not on a BES (I think). It's using simple POP3 to retrieve the files.

When sending, the email shows as sent. There is a check mark next to the email and the status is marked as sent. But the email never arrives and no mail failure notice is returned. This ONLY happens with the work domain. They can email other domains, such as gmail, without a problem.

balandar
02-19-2008, 03:08 PM
I just checked. We are not running BES on our servers. We are using the BIS.

Sith_Apprentice
02-19-2008, 03:12 PM
I would think it would be something within exchange. can they receive emails from a PC on the domain?

balandar
02-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes, anyone on the domain can email them. And they can email everyone else directly from webmail, but not their blackberry's. Their blackberry's cannot email anyone on the domain. It doesn't make any sense. We do not have spam filters in place. All internal outlook or webmail based email work without problems. It's just those three blackberry's.

I was on the line with verizon and they are saying it's our server. And I'm trying to think about what it could be, but there are no differences between the working blackberry users and the non-working blackberry users. And no change has been made to the server.

juwaack68
02-19-2008, 04:28 PM
If it were me, I would test it this way....

Log into a PC (that has Outlook installed - like yours) as the service account that you used to set up the BES.

Create a profile for the service account in Outlook and compose a message. Make sure you can see the 'From' field in the email and put in one of the names of the users you're having a problem with (since the service account actually sends mail on behalf of the users).

Send the message. Does it fail there?

balandar
02-19-2008, 04:50 PM
We do not have a BES server.

Do you mean BIS? What do I use as the connection strings for the BIS account (outgoing mail)? Or is this only setup with the blackberry.

Just to confirm I have the correct understanding, with BIS I believe the service uses Blackberry's servers to send the email. Blackberry accesses our pop3 account, checks to see if there are any new messages, and pushes those back to the device.

juwaack68
02-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Ok, somewhere along the way I missed the part where you're not using BES....sorry!

Is there any SPAM filtering that could be blocking the emails from even getting to the recipients?

balandar
02-19-2008, 06:24 PM
None. Our Spam filter has been down for ages. We are looking at upgrading the entire IT infrastructure, but that is weeks away.

Right now, I am restarting the server to see if that fixes any issues as all employees have left. However, I doubt it will fix the issue.

This really has me stumped.

balandar
02-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Reboot did not work. The three blackberry's in question still cannot send emails to the work domain. External domains still work.

whsbuss
02-20-2008, 11:37 AM
I suggest looking at the mail server's logs to see if any connections from RIM's BIS servers is being blocked. When you send mail from the blackberry, it gets sent from the BIS servers and your mail server may be blocking them.

balandar
02-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Ok, I grabbed the log sheet and imported into Access. Here's what I am seeing. All messages that are not coming through from the 3 blackberry's have this event_id pattern. They arrive with event_id 1019, then off to 1025, and finally 1026.

1019 SMTP: Message submitted to Advanced Queuing
1025 SMTP: Started message submission to Advanced Queue
1026 SMTP: Advanced Queue failed to deliver message

At this point they seem to vanish.

whsbuss
02-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Ok, I grabbed the log sheet and imported into Access. Here's what I am seeing. All messages that are not coming through from the 3 blackberry's have this event_id pattern. They arrive with event_id 1019, then off to 1025, and finally 1026.

1019 SMTP: Message submitted to Advanced Queuing
1025 SMTP: Started message submission to Advanced Queue
1026 SMTP: Advanced Queue failed to deliver message

At this point they seem to vanish.

Looks like an internal mail server problem. The BIS looks to me like its connecting successfully but the internal mail delivery (postfix, local mailer) is dropping them. You'll need to investigate further.

balandar
02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
lol, ok, it seems at some point GFI was re-enabled on the machine. It had blocked them despite the fact they were on the white list. And in addition, it seems the license is invalid due to too many AD accounts with our recent influx of employees. Oh the joys of inheriting systems with no knowledge of what mess you are walking into. I should have looked at that first. Ugh. Thanks for the help everyone.