PDA

View Full Version : Moving to new BES/Exchange Server - Anyway to keep user's settings?

MedEdGuy
02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
We need to move several users to a completely new Exchange server and BES server located at another site (completely different AD domain).

Obviously the most straightforward was is to delete them on the first BES/Exchange, wipe their devices, and reprovision them on the new Exchange server and BES. However, that will delete most of their settings.

Is there any way to preserve their device settings (ring tones, options, etc)? Can I just do another enterprise activation for the new server without wiping? Or is there a way to backup/restore from the desktop app if the user will be using a different MAPI profile for the new Exchange server?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

hdawg
02-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Are you staying in the same Exchange Organization? You can preserve device settings by performing a backup with DM if you're moving Exchange Orgs. If you're not moving Exchange orgs then all you need to do is move the BES users to a new server using a shared configuration database.

MedEdGuy
02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Are you staying in the same Exchange Organization? You can preserve device settings by performing a backup with DM if you're moving Exchange Orgs. If you're not moving Exchange orgs then all you need to do is move the BES users to a new server using a shared configuration database.

Thanks for the quick response! It will indeed be a NEW Exchange org. So, if I understand you correctly, I can to a backup/restore with DM regardless of the fact that they'll be different Outlook/MAPI profiles?

Thanks!

hdawg
02-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Correct; you should choose a selective restore and only backup what is required. You're not going to be backing up any MAPI / mailbox info, only device settings / etc.

Good luck!