PDA

View Full Version : Is this okay to do?

Dinan3
02-19-2008, 11:32 PM
The device im using is currently unlocked and was formerly under a BES. There is still an IT policy on it, but to my knowledge has no known disabilities. I'd like to have my own BES account for a small business that i'll be starting here very shortly. My question is, do i need a new BES software package or can i just reactivate the old account under my name instead? What would i need to do?

Things I've done so far.
- Unlocked AT&T 8310
- Network T-Mobile
- installed DM 4.3
- installed OS 4.2.2
- free up memory by re-installing OS without unwanted apps.
- Added BIS

John Clark
02-19-2008, 11:52 PM
If you want BES I suggest one of the hosted solutions like Premium Hosted Exchange 2007 services; Exchange Hosting (http://www.exchangemymail.com)

Running your own BES requires your own Exchange server, etc. and is not recommended if you're not good with servers etc.

markhutchison
02-19-2008, 11:54 PM
The device im using ... I'd like to have my own BES account ... do i need a new BES software package or can i just reactivate the old account under my name instead?

BES software links directly to an existing email server. If your email account is located on the same server as the BES then your BlackBerry could be activated on that BES.

From your post, however, I'm under the assumption that your email account is not linked into the old BES. Do you operate your own Exchange, Lotus or Groupwise server for email? If so, you would need to download either BES Express or BlackBerry Professional Software.

If you do not have your own email server then you will need to subscribe to a Hosted BES solution.

Dinan3
02-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Thank you guys for your suggestions. No, I am not linked to the former BES account in any way. A Hosting solution would be the way to go for me since the IT field is just as familiar to me as sight is to a blind person (no offense). This raises a couple more questions for me since im not too familiar with BES.

1. Is the BES software loaded on to the server or the device or both?

2. Since my device was previously under a BES account, will doing a dump and re-load be wise? Keep in mind that I do not have any security keys or passwords if such promts were to arrise. So I don't know if everything will completely be detached from my device since there is still an IT policy, or if by doing so, i'll lock myself out from using it ever again. However, there seems to be no restrictions to it. How can i find out if its password protected? Password protection is disabled for now, but that doesn't mean that it isn't password protected, does it?

3. Finally, T-Mobile does offer BES. Is that the hosted solution that Im looking for? And if I do chosse their BES activaton, do i still need BIS?

I am so freakin pissed at myself for jumping the gun and buying this curve without asking the proper questions to the seller. I was so excited to find one at the price i got it for and in such great condition...totally slipped my mind.

Thanks again...

John Clark
02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
There is no extra software needed on the BB. You do, however, need a BES data plan from TMobile.

If you are not required to enter a password to get into the device then it's not password protected. If nothing seems to be restricted, then I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Hosted BES is the best way to go. I'm not familiar with TMobile's hosted BES but the "BES data plan" isn't a hosted BES. You need the BES data plan AND the hosted BES.

Dinan3
02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Got it JC, thanks a bunch.

Stayed up for about an extra 3 hours last night educating myself on BES.