PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Manager killed my DVD drive?

AJamesR
02-20-2008, 04:37 AM
*I've Searched the forums with no luck on this topic, if it's been discussed I'm sorry but a link to the post would be great*

My laptop is running Windows Vista Prem. Home and I tryed to intall the desktop manager softwear that came on the disk from Verizon. The softwear seemed to install fine with the exception of the media player saying it couldn't access a folder due to premission stuff (after reading these forums I see how to fix that but have not tried it yet). After install desktop manager worked fine, but I restarted my computer and my DVD RW drive wouldn't show up anywhere and device manager said it had an error with the drivers and couldn't find a fix. So I system restored to right before desktop manager install and DVD drive worked perfect. I also tried downloading desktop manager (4.3) from the blackberry website and had the same thing happen. Not a huge deal 'cause I've got it working on my Desktop (XP) but it would be nice to be able to use the lappy too. And suggestions?

Sci-Tek
02-20-2008, 04:57 AM
very strange that this happends, try downloading DM without roxio..

AJamesR
02-20-2008, 05:22 AM
very strange that this happends, try downloading DM without roxio..

Do you think the Roxio not installing right could have done it? where do I download it without that? I didn't see it on the blackberry site, maybe I didn't look hard enough

Sci-Tek
02-20-2008, 05:25 AM
I'm not sure, but people come here all the time with DM without roxio.. hehe..
DM4.2 SP2 , maybe?

SteveO86
02-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Well first things first, uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and get your DVD working, then try to install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager again, I've installed 4.2.2 and 4.3 on Vista Home Prem., I would turn off the UAC (user account control)in the control, only for the install process then you could turn it back on.

Do you have any other Roxio or DVD burning software?

AJamesR
02-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Well first things first, uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and get your DVD working, then try to install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager again, I've installed 4.2.2 and 4.3 on Vista Home Prem., I would turn off the UAC (user account control)in the control, only for the install process then you could turn it back on.

Do you have any other Roxio or DVD burning software?

I'm gunna try it again today and see if I have any luck after changing the account settings. Once I uninstalled the Desktop Manager the DVD drive worked perfect both times.

I'm not sure the name of the softwear for burning to DVD it's just whatever came with the laptop I think it's something made by Sony.

AJamesR
02-21-2008, 01:03 AM
I tried installing the program as the admin like other threads have said should work for making the Roxie work, but it still came up with the error that the dir it was trying to use couldn't be used. so no different, still killed the DVD drivers. I guess now I try a older version of Desktom man?

FF2
02-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Could it be an issue with the dvd drive LETTER being bumped up (like to E: or F:) and therefore, not showing up in MyComputer (Explorer).

Sith_Apprentice
02-21-2008, 09:42 AM
yep i would bet the letter assignment is to blame. i hate vista, and thus have not had much dealings with it, but the process in XP is start menu > settings> control panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

see if the drive is listed there, but has no letter