PDA

View Full Version : Push Weather or BB Weather?

Joemero
02-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Which one is better? I had trouble making BB Weather work. I downloaded it directly to my 8830 and I it locked up after opening the application and gave me an exception error. I had to restart and then I deleted the application.

Joemero
02-20-2008, 09:20 AM
OK ....I just noticed on Blackberry FAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_get_BB_Weather_to_work_on_the_8800%3F)how to make BB Weather work.

But before I reinstall it, I would like to know which one most of the users here prefer. BB Weather or the push weather provided on blackberry.mobile.com

Thanks!
Joe

Walt
02-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I use Weather Underground (Mobile) (http://m.wund.com/)
Just put in your zip code and you get current weather, forcasts and doppler radar.

Which one is better? I had trouble making BB Weather work. I downloaded it directly to my 8830 and I it locked up after opening the application and gave me an exception error. I had to restart and then I deleted the application.

KOR
02-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Just noticed you posted & got some posts while I was typing my dissertation...

I think that BB Weather is well worth reinstalling & trying out. I think you'll like it - it's my favorite BB app by far.

==

Are you referring to AccuWeather push? If so, I prefer BB Weather. It's faster since it's not pulling up a web page and I've noticed that AccuWeather's home screen icon doesn't update very often. In addition, the multiple location support & hot-keys make BB Weather pretty user friendly. If I recall correctly, I ran into some install/configuration problems with BB Weather, as well, but once I worked through them it's performed like a champ.

If you search the forums you can probably find a solution to the error you saw. I think the most current version of BB Weather is .75. If you search for stinnsondog(sp?) and browse out to his web site, there's a link to download. Hope this helps.

Joemero
02-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah I was referring to AccuWeather Push. I'll retry the install on the BB Weather though.

I downloaded a zip folder to my PC from Strinsondogs website for BB Weather it has 3 .cod files, 1 .alx file and 2 .txt files. Do I use BB DM to install, I know not to worry about the .txt files, but do I install the other 3 files or just the .alx file? IS it easier to do it this way or should I just download it directly with my 8830?

Thanks!

Joemero
02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
OK maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, I installed it thru BB DM. It decided by itself which were the files required to install on the device.

I figured out not to press the menu button because it will freeze up. So i clicked the trackball and installed my profile settings for my city. After I exit options and click save, it says
"Retrieving Weather, please wait..."

Then after a little while, I get

"Error: Open tunnel - max timeout"

I did click on Disable MDS, because I'm using BIS. Please help!!
This doesn't have anything to do with the BIS outage does it? I was able to log in to my Sprint BIS a few minutes ago with no problem.

Joemero
02-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Allright, I got it to work. I promise this is my last BB Weather question ;-)

Do you "Exit" or "Close" when you get out of it?

I notice that if you "close" and you go back in it instantly tells you the weather, updated of course. But I wonder if leaving it running like that in the background will drain the battery faster or make the device slower.

I notice if you "exit" and you go back into it, it takes a quite a few seconds while it says "retrieving weather"

Sorry for so many questions, I guess I'm obssesed with my new Berry and want to be the most efficient user on it. :razz:

KOR
02-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Allright, I got it to work. I promise this is my last BB Weather question ;-)

Do you "Exit" or "Close" when you get out of it?

I notice that if you "close" and you go back in it instantly tells you the weather, updated of course. But I wonder if leaving it running like that in the background will drain the battery faster or make the device slower.

I notice if you "exit" and you go back into it, it takes a quite a few seconds while it says "retrieving weather"

Sorry for so many questions, I guess I'm obssesed with my new Berry and want to be the most efficient user on it. :razz:

Better to exit. Closing leaves the app running and the more apps running the faster the battery runs down. And, it retrieves the weather so quickly that it's not much of a difference.