PDA

View Full Version : Need Client License Help

BB8830WE
02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Recently purchased the 8830 WE BB, my place of employment has a BES but I am not of a rank where I can use it, unless I get special permission. I am thinking of offering to pay for the license myself.

How much would 1 additional license be for a VZW BES? Is this a montly cost? Or just a one time thing?

PLEASE help, would like to start using features asap.

Thanks!

penguin3107
02-20-2008, 04:29 PM
BES CALs are a one-time purchase, not a subscription.
They are typically around $100 each.

Good luck convincing your IT department to allow your device on the BES. I have a feeling you will not be successful and that the reasoning has little to do with the cost of licensing.
It is certainly not uncommon for corporate environments to disallow the use of privately owned BlackBerry devices on a corporate BES.
There are many legitimate reasons for keeping them off.

juwaack68
02-20-2008, 04:31 PM
A BES CAL (Client Access License) is a one time purchase. I think they run around $50 each (EDIT: or higher ;-) )

BB8830WE
02-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the responses! The good news is that it is not much money, but the bad new is it sounds like I may still have trouble doing it. What are some of the reasons compaines are hesitant?

juwaack68
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, from a BES Admin perspective, they may not want to support a non-corporate device in the event you start having BES-related issues.

From YOUR perspective, you need to know what you are getting into. There is a wonderful thing called an IT Policy that will get pushed to your device. The goodies in this policy *can* include the following:

- Enforced password (you will have to set a password and type in it when the device locks - and it may be set to lock anywhere from 2-60 minutes of inactivity, or lock when you put it in the holster, etc).
- Disallowing 3rd party application downloads (no more downloading apps over the air for you....maybe)
- Restricted BIS functionality (can be set so you can receive BIS email, but not send AS the BIS account - all email can be forced to go from the BES account).

And there are others.....so buyer beware.

mreynaga
02-20-2008, 05:22 PM
license is about $100 but as mentioned above i seriously doubt that cost is the reason they will not allow you to add it to the BES. plus also as mentioned above the IT policy can cripple your blackberry, everything down to internet access and even using the camera can be blocked.

if something happens to your blackberry software or hardware expect ZERO support. and if you end up not liking it you lost out on $100.

not to mention some companies simply may not like the idea of certain people having access to emails outside of the company. plus you may not want this as the company now knows you are getting your emails 24/7 and may want you to respond to them 24/7.

if you really want access to your work emails then setup a BIS account and setup a rule in you company outlook that will forward emails to BIS. this wont cost you anything and will deliver your emails and let you reply from your work address.