PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Sync Issue

rodhyman
02-24-2008, 03:48 AM
Recently when syncing my BB Pearl with my PC it stopped with around 50 contacts to go with a message "Unable to write or update application data". I assumed a software malfunction but as I was buying a new PC I ignored it. I now have the new PC with sync software freshly installed and I am still getting the same error - has anyone experienced the same?

I previously had this with Tasks but all I needed to do was check that there were no conflicts (it seems to be sensitive to Task conflicts but resolves others) and occasionally uninstall and reinstall the sync software. But that is not working this time. Any help would be appreciated.

ricpac
02-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Is that the Desktop Manager? Or a different sync software? If it's the DM, which one? v4.3? If so, I recommend v4.2sp2. And since you have already reinstalled the software, how about if you try a different PC? Just keep isolating.

Sci-Tek
02-24-2008, 06:33 AM
What are you syncing against? Outlook? lotus?

Could it be that one contact has a entry which no others have, DM don't know where you place it in outlook and therefore it fails?
Maybe some special chars or something?
Seems to me that one contact is doing this.

aiharkness
02-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Most likely there is an empty name (first or last) or company name field. Or perhaps the address book database is corrupted.

See BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11366&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=101378002&stateId=1%200%20101376142)

If you can't find the error and correct, the best solution is probably to use desktop manager (look in backup/restore) to delete the address book data base and then resync the PIM on the computer to the blackberry.

rodhyman
02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Guys

Thanks for all the good oil. I am using the BB sync program - yesterday I discovered an old Contacts directory that I had deleted was adding reminders back into my file as they came up. I permanantly deleted this directory. I then followed your good advice and deleted all the contacts on my BB and reloaded and it still stopped at the last 50 records with the same message.

I have over 700 contacts but will try to see whether there are some duplications causing the problems but this will take some time.

Thanks again for the help - I will keep you posted

Rod

irosas
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
What helped me get rid of "Unable to write or update data" was doing a hard reset on the BB. Instructions on this available at BlackBerry Technical Solution Center (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02) 141&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=31750759&stateId=1 %200%2031756028