PDA

View Full Version : 6MB the equivalent of 'unlimited'?

Wattie
02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
It is according to Orange UK who told me on the phone that the Blackberry compresses data so much that emails, maps etc only use a small amount of data through everyday use. He said that it compresses it so much that 6MB/month is the equivalent of 'unlimited' data as I wouldn't be able to use it all!
Now this sounds far fetched to me but is it right?

juwaack68
02-26-2008, 05:22 PM
If you are ONLY using it for email (minus any attachments) and not using the browser or 3rd party applications - then that should be enough.

However, if you want to use the browser or 3rd party applications, and you can afford it, I would recommend a larger plan.

femel
02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Well I don't know about orange, but I am on a 4MB plan from Bell, and I will tell you its not enough. I am extremely careful but after three weeks into the month, I am paying extra.

aiharkness
02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Just looked at my account online, out of curiosity. I did 1-3 per day on most days, but did 5, 6 and 7+ MB on some days. I don't tether. Haven't really used maps much this month. But I do get a fair amount of email and do a lot of wap access to BBF, which probably accounts for those 6 and 7 MB days!

milrtime83
02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
6GB maybe, but 6MB is pretty easy to go over. I've used just over 8MB in the 9 days I've had my BB. That does includes a decent amount of OTA program downloads and stuff, but I think even with just email and internet browsing I would get over 6MB pretty easily in a month.

maxsquared
02-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Go with O2, cheaper (10 pound) for 200mb

Sith_Apprentice
02-26-2008, 07:41 PM
6GB maybe, but 6MB is pretty easy to go over. I've used just over 8MB in the 9 days I've had my BB. That does includes a decent amount of OTA program downloads and stuff, but I think even with just email and internet browsing I would get over 6MB pretty easily in a month.

most users wont go over 1gb unless they tether or use streaming video. That being said, i use 1gb without really trying in a month, and if i really try, and tether, i can easily break 3gb. Most users will use that 6mb very very quickly. I honestly dont know why carriers offer small plans like that. also, welcome to the forums

ricpac
02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm on a $30 plan with only 8000Kb and 250 local SMS and zero minutes; I pay $11.25 for the BIS Admin fee, too --- I get charged extra if I use a minute, exceed my Kb and SMS allocations (all figures already converted to US$ based on current forex). Boy am I lucky to be in a 3rd world country!

takeshi
02-27-2008, 10:33 AM
It is according to Orange UK who told me on the phone that the Blackberry compresses data so much that emails, maps etc only use a small amount of data through everyday use. He said that it compresses it so much that 6MB/month is the equivalent of 'unlimited' data as I wouldn't be able to use it all!
Now this sounds far fetched to me but is it right?
It depends on usage. For some it would be. For others it won't. I'd say it's nowhere near unlimited considering that I know I've easily exceeded 6MB in a month. I'd ask them if it's so "equivalent" to unlimited then why don't they just offer unlimited as an option? ;-)

speed4tu
02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
That will never be sufficient. I dont think I could even make it through one day on 6mb!

mdmheath
02-28-2008, 11:36 AM
How can you check how much you've downloaded? I have unlimited access from O2 in UK but I'm going abroad soon. I'm aware of the need to minimise browsing and mail attachment viewing, but I'd like to be able to use Google maps without spending a fortune. Is Google maps more efficient at downloading than BB maps or vice versa?

monkeypaw
02-29-2008, 02:15 PM
6MB is pretty good for just email unless there's an inordinate amount of substantive email. I've got 5 email accounts going to my phone and the number of emails where I need to read more than the top part or download an attachment is extrememly small.

But, throw web browsing in there and 6MB is not enough. When I first got my phone I did not really browse the internet on it and I was below 5MB usage/month. After starting to browse the web daily, but not extensively, and a quick tether per month, I'm in the 20 MB/month range.

goaliemn
02-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I used to use about 5MB/mo on my blackberry.. using email and light browsing. I received about 200 emails a day...

Now, that I have a curve with a camera and GPS navigation software, I go through 5MB in acouple of days..