PDA

View Full Version : 2 Blackberrys, BES and BIS at same time?

joemz
02-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Odd situation.

Had an AT&T personal BB on company BES
Company just mandated using company issued BB. They gave me a VZ 8830 with a new telephone number. I plan to keep the AT&T BB as my personal phone

Obviously the VZ BB wirelessly synchs with the BES server, and just as obviously I can't also have the AT&T BB wirelessly synch with the BES

But, can I use BIS to keep the AT&T calendar/contacts in sync by doing a wired BIS intellisynch?

I have BES DM on the pc, so that I can backup the VZ BB. Does this mean I can't use BIS synching?

Is there a better way to keep the personal ATT BB current with contacts and calendar?

Dubdub
02-26-2008, 06:29 PM
First of all, make sure you remove all the IT Policies from your ATT BB, if any as that will reduce your problems.

If your company allows you to, you should be able to sync contacts and calendar with your personal BB, however, that would mean you'd have two copies of the same data, one on the company BB updated wirelessly and in near real time, and your personal BB updated whenever you sync to the PC. Not sure what that would give you, other than some confusion as to which is correct.

BIS is only for email access. You would need to use something like Outlook on your PC to keep the contact and calendar data and then sync the personal BB to Outlook. If you have BES, I don't see the need to use the wired sync for the company BB.

joemz
02-26-2008, 06:43 PM
First, I removed all of the IT policies off of the ATT BB, and I use outlook

Second, if I can 'wired' synch contacts/calendar to the personal BB, then I can leave the company one home on the weekend and still have my contact info and calendar without having to respond to emails all the time.

But, how do I do it? On my company laptop, with outlook and BES DM I didnt think I had the option to set up for a wired synch for one BB and wireless for the other

Dubdub
02-26-2008, 08:44 PM
But, how do I do it? On my company laptop, with outlook and BES DM I didnt think I had the option to set up for a wired synch for one BB and wireless for the other

You might should start with a chat with your IT staff and see if they allow you to connect the personal BB. Not sure if DM will let you sync or not. Try it and see, but talk to your IT person first.

takeshi
02-27-2008, 10:29 AM
I'd also suggest talking to IT. You're going to have to be careful syncing a personal BIS BB and a corporate BES BB using the same install of DM and the same Outlook profile. If you're not careful you'll end up with BES service books on your personal BB again and break delivery to your corporate BB.

You can sync via USB even if you're wirelessly syncing with BES but you have to disable wireless sync in order to do so.

I think I'd actually recommend exporting what you need from Outlook at work, taking it home, importing it into Outlook on your home PC and syncing your personal BB with the home PC only.