PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with my BB Messenger? :(

adorkable
02-28-2008, 12:04 AM
I upgraded my OS and did the whole optimize for max memory thing, and in the final process, I accidentally unchecked the BlackBerry Messenger box. Once everything was done, I realized my mistake, hooked the phone back up to my computer and ran the application loader to put the messenger back on my phone. Once installed, I opened it up and tried to re add my contacts, but every time I try to do so, the application closes and I get the following error message...

Uncaught exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException

I thought maybe while optimizing for maximum memory I had accidentally moved one of the required java files to the removed modules folder, but it didn't look like it. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and I'm still getting the same error.

Any ideas?

ezrunner
02-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Have you tried a battery pull while powered on?

adorkable
02-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Yup. No luck. :/

adorkable
02-28-2008, 12:33 AM
VaBeach? You're right around the corner from me! :D

adorkable
02-28-2008, 12:43 AM
I just installed Facebook, and now when I try to open it, I get a similar error...

Uncaught exception:
net.rim.device.api.system.UnsuportedOperationException

I'm going to assume they are related. *shrug*

John Clark
02-28-2008, 01:09 AM
I suggest putting all the java files back in the java folder to add back all the apps you removed. Then see if you can add back BBMessenger and get rid of your errors.

adorkable
02-28-2008, 03:27 AM
That fixed facebook but not BB messenger.

I went ahead and removed and then reinstalled the messenger after adding all the modules back, but that didn't work either. I think I am going to just going to overwrite all the OS files on my computer and try again.

Edit: Well, after doing that, as soon as I hooked my BlackBerry to my computer, I was told that the core applications needed to be upgraded. I went ahead and reinstalled messenger along with the core applications update, but I am still getting the error. I give up for now. I need sleep.

adorkable
02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
The problem was with the database for BlackBerry messenger being corrupt, so if anyone else experiences this problem, here's how to fix it:

Hook your phone up to your computer and open the desktop manager. Select backup/restore, and then click on advanced. On the right side, select blackberry messenger from the list and then click on clear. :)