PDA

View Full Version : buying a used curve-tips??

madlib
02-29-2008, 03:51 AM
I plan to buy a used curve soon. Anything in specific I should look for? check to make sure everything is ok?? thanks

monkeypaw
02-29-2008, 04:08 AM
I wouldn't recommend doing this since this is a relatively new device and the warranty is something you should really have. But if your heart is set on doing this, I would ask the seller why they're selling the phone. If it's someone who just has to try new things, or they bought one, but their new job gave them another phone, you might be ok.

If they didn't have a good experience with the phone it might be a device that should have been warrantied and wasn't. Lots of devices work well enough that people think the device has a design problem, when they're really defective.

Dinan3
02-29-2008, 04:57 AM
I bought a used 8310 from craigslist and I love it. works great.

Precautions to take note of:
beware of stolen property. the easiest and best way to find out is to call the device's branded carrier and have the rep do an IMEI/ESN check. Common answers from people selling a stolen product:

- "i already have one, and someone bought this for me for christmas, birthday gift, etc..." pretty rich friends/family if you ask me, buying without contract as a "gift".

- "i want to upgrade to a different device."

- "im switching carriers"

- "i just don't know how to use it or i just don't need it"

although these reasons are sometimes valid and real, just be careful.

If the carrier rep reports a clear IMEI/ESN, the next question you should ask the seller is..."does this device have an IT policy attached to it from BES"?
you can find out yourself by going into; options > security options > general settings. Then scroll down to find IT policy.
***this was my mistake, my device has an unrestricted IT policy. Although, I can use the device with no probs, it still bothers me***

Third, ask how old the device is. How long they've had it for. Did they buy it new or used. A good question to ask the carrier rep while you're doing the IMEI/ESN check is "what is the date of initial activation".
***you'll carry over the manufacture's one year limited warrenty (from date of initial activation) on over to you if you chose to activate with the branded carrier.***

Pretty much, same questions as buying a used car.

GOOD LUCK!!!

*****GET A RECEIPT FROM THE SELLER AND THEIR CONTACT INFO FOR RECORD*****

ezrunner
02-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Also look in the bbfaq there is an entire article about buying used devices

Also check out the buy sell trade section here in BBF

ep8703
02-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Say away from this guy on e bay this is the worse experience I had on e bay.
This guy lies after lies sold me a phone with a crack lens would answer e mail till you file a negativity report. Oh then he's your buddy don't believe him. never did get the phone replace. he said he would send it out after you drop you're compliant he wont. just a lie to get on to drop it.
So you see this name on e bay go the other way.
eBay My World: calicellshop

madlib
02-29-2008, 02:37 PM
this is exactly i was looking for THANK YOU! btw how do I contact the carrier rep?? I'm gonna be looking to purchase t-mobile phones.

I bought a used 8310 from craigslist and I love it. works great.

Precautions to take note of:
beware of stolen property. the easiest and best way to find out is to call the device's branded carrier and have the rep do an IMEI/ESN check. Common answers from people selling a stolen product:

- "i already have one, and someone bought this for me for christmas, birthday gift, etc..." pretty rich friends/family if you ask me, buying without contract as a "gift".

- "i want to upgrade to a different device."

- "im switching carriers"

- "i just don't know how to use it or i just don't need it"

although these reasons are sometimes valid and real, just be careful.

If the carrier rep reports a clear IMEI/ESN, the next question you should ask the seller is..."does this device have an IT policy attached to it from BES"?
you can find out yourself by going into; options > security options > general settings. Then scroll down to find IT policy.
***this was my mistake, my device has an unrestricted IT policy. Although, I can use the device with no probs, it still bothers me***

Third, ask how old the device is. How long they've had it for. Did they buy it new or used. A good question to ask the carrier rep while you're doing the IMEI/ESN check is "what is the date of initial activation".
***you'll carry over the manufacture's one year limited warrenty (from date of initial activation) on over to you if you chose to activate with the branded carrier.***

Pretty much, same questions as buying a used car.

GOOD LUCK!!!

*****GET A RECEIPT FROM THE SELLER AND THEIR CONTACT INFO FOR RECORD*****

Thatzmister2u
02-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I plan to buy a used curve soon. Anything in specific I should look for? check to make sure everything is ok?? thanks

Please...please review this link (there is very important information that will save you some potenial HUGE headaches!)

Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ.com (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay)

Good Luck!

E-

madlib
02-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Please...please review this link (there is very important information that will save you some potenial HUGE headaches!)

Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ.com (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Buying_a_BlackBerry_off_eBay)

Good Luck!

E-

thanks thatzmister2u I did read those but I was looking more of a "phsyical" check of the phone since I plan to buy it from someone in person 8-)

Thatzmister2u
02-29-2008, 03:57 PM
thanks thatzmister2u I did read those but I was looking more of a "phsyical" check of the phone since I plan to buy it from someone in person 8-)

Well you are getting in "person" as long as you know where they live that's all the insurance that you need! :wink:

ScottMB4
02-29-2008, 03:59 PM
buying a used curve-tips??

Don't

Just because I am very leery of buying expensive things used. :razz: