PDA

View Full Version : All of the sudden my battery life sucks??

14pups
02-29-2008, 07:57 AM
v4.2.1.74 (Platform 2.3.0.54)

Now I know there can be a hundred reasons for this and I DID search but.........

The only thing I changed app-wise was add Viigo a couple months ago (set to update once per day) but this prob really has just started within the last week. I've made no changes or added any new apps within the last week.

Frustrating. I need to charge regularly now overnight. Can the battery just be too old and I need a new one?

Any ideas?
TIA

cmguerra77
02-29-2008, 08:32 AM
How long does your charge last? Also how old is the battery?

djm2
02-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Do you have any applications other than the standard that are open continuously?

JSanders
02-29-2008, 09:08 AM
And charging regularly overnight is not a bad thing, I do it. Your BB should NOT be drained down each time to 10-20%. That in itself is not recommended for these type batteries. They are intended to be charged regularly whenever possible, 10 mins here and there.

14pups
02-29-2008, 09:15 AM
How long does your charge last? Also how old is the battery?

The charge lasts less than 24 hrs before it goes into 'red" mode on the indicator.
It is the original 8800 battery - so 2 years old or less (??)

JSanders
02-29-2008, 09:23 AM
You should not allow it go to the red so often.
There are hundreds of threads and posts on the board here about batteries.
Read this: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ.com (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Maximum_Battery_Life)

ezrunner
02-29-2008, 10:47 AM
At 2 years of age it is time for a new battery truth be told.

tgeekb
02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Why not try a new battery if you are planning on keeping the phone? They're not that expensive.

rivviepop
02-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm one of those infamous IT type guys - the battery is just dying, our Dell laptops barely last more than a year and a half before we're buying new batteries for them.

Every time one dies the story is the same - it was working fine (holding a charge) with no indication of problems, then *boom* the next day it's holding a 10% charge and effectively dead. It makes trying to plan for buying them ahead of time a real chore...

I can't put this part to any scientific test, but it *seems* that the batteries that die quicker are the ones that spend more time plugged in to an AC source than the ones used by very-mobile warriors who actually use the battery to it's full potential. Sorta knowing that, I choose not to plug in my BB to an AC source until I'm down to one or two battery bars left, and my battery is still going very strong, I get days of life out of it (8320 T-Mobile).

My personal Thinkpad laptop here even has a piece of battery charge software (from IBM/Lenovo) that will not charge the battery until it dips below 70-something percent, and stops charging it when the battery reaches 98% full. They (the software) claims it's the best battery saving mode possible for the laptop, so I just roll with their belief... (and both of my laptop batteries are fine 2 years later).

Conversely I have an old Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop I bought back in... 1997? that still runs fine to this day with it's battery; it sits under my stereo and plays MP3s plugged into AC all the time, and when I yank it off AC using the battery, that battery is still just as good as the day I got this thing. Go figure. (poor guy got his drive fried though in the last bought of storms we had, took a power outage hit)

14pups
03-03-2008, 07:36 AM
OK mucho thanks for all the replies.

The prob I believe was some app that I downloaded and forgot about. It must have been running in the background.

I went into Options- Advanced Options- Applications and started deleted apps I never used and must have downloaded on a whim. Not sure which one specifically was the prob but maybe it was "Mobile Monitor" which tracks your data usage.

At any rate all is well now with the battery and it has holding a charge like only a BB can.

Long live the'berry.

Papa-Pompous
03-03-2008, 08:00 AM
yeah definitely buy a new one. Do BBs do like Motorola does? If your battery through Motorola dies then the rules are your cell phone carrier gives you a new one and takes the old and its 100% free!

*my bad but I still think it needed to be said.