PDA

View Full Version : Synchronizing issues

tuga11
02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
While setting Intelisync, when it asks me to select what application I want to synchronize, I sellect MS Outlook.
If I click ok it says:
" The file or database associated with MS Outlook is missing, invalid or points to a file of zero lenght(which obviously is not zero).
Use the browse button to locate the file or database you wish to use with this application"

If I try to do that and select ms Outlook- it does not give me the option to do it(the browse button is there-does nothing when I click it and the field to the right isn't highlighted and doesn't even let me copy and past the path.)

I'm stuck and need help.

8700g not on BES and have to do all this by USB only....Thanks guys

hudres
02-29-2008, 10:13 PM
While setting Intelisync, when it asks me to select what application I want to synchronize, I sellect MS Outlook.
If I click ok it says:
" The file or database associated with MS Outlook is missing, invalid or points to a file of zero lenght(which obviously is not zero).
Use the browse button to locate the file or database you wish to use with this application"

If I try to do that and select ms Outlook- it does not give me the option to do it(the browse button is there-does nothing when I click it and the field to the right isn't highlighted and doesn't even let me copy and past the path.)

I'm stuck and need help.

8700g not on BES and have to do all this by USB only....Thanks guys

Tough question

First: Use the Control Panel applet on windows to remove the Desktop Manager. Reboot and then reinstall. This probably won't fix the problem but it is a necessary first step

IF the rest of the functions during sync work correctly AND this is your only problem, and, if Outlook is in regular use and works correctly, AND IF you have not redirected Outlook to store is data in some other location (as many people do for data integrity purposes), THEN I would recommend either a repair of Outlook (might work but low probability), or a complete reinstall of Office. If you choose to try the repair, make sure you use the original install disk, not the repair off the menu bar Help tab.

You clearly have some file on the PC that is slightly corrupt, not enough to kill Outlook, but enough to keep the Desktop Manager from finding it.

The sure fire fix (I know you won't like this but I do guarantee results here) is to wipe your hard disk, reinstall Windows and Office and everything else. It is not a bad idea to do this every two or three years anyway. The problem is that when certain Windows or Office files become corrupt even a new install will not fix them unless the disk is re-formatted. I have received a lot of flack for this solution from people whose computers I sometimes support (like when they get into real trouble and can't find a fix elsewhere). It is like major surgery: painful, time consuming, a recovery period, but in the end, worth the effort.

The alternative is to try everything else and when that doesn't work, you will end up with this solution and will have spent a lot more time than if you bite the bullet up front.

So: 1. Reinstall Desktop Manager
2. Try Cd-based repair, if that doesn't work,
3. Remove Office, reboot, reinstall Office
4. (Total desperation) Wipe and reformat hard disk, reinstall everything.

No pain no gain. Sorry . . .73

tuga11
03-02-2008, 05:45 PM
thanks hudres
I will try that, least painful to most painful, in that order.
Tuga