PDA

View Full Version : copying your address book

ph wakeboarder
03-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Im new to the blackberry pearl 8100 and i was wondering if i copy my contacts to the phone from the sim when it asks me too. If i broke my phone and had to put my sim card in another phone would i still have my contacts. When i go to my address book i can click on sim address book and all my numbers are still there, but i just wanted to double check just to be safe. Thanks for all the input.

JSanders
03-02-2008, 01:21 AM
yes, if they are on your SIM, they will be there when you move the SIM, as long as you don't add any to the Address Book.

That really is a not so good way to move your contacts, but possible.

Sith_Apprentice
03-02-2008, 01:23 AM
what you should do is backup to your computer to save your contacts. If you lose your device your SIM would be lost too so it wont matter if you have contacts on it or not.

Saffer
03-02-2008, 08:53 PM
SIM backup is important as you can then easily transfer between phones.

So is doing a backup using the desktop, but this does not allow you to transfer to another non BB phone.

So, can this be done or not?

John Clark
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
It can be done. You have to sync with Outlook and then sync Outlook to the "other" phone. If that's not possible then sim card backup might be the best way. However, why would you want to go from BB to another cell phone except in a dire emergency??

TroyDBrown
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
SIM backup is important as you can then easily transfer between phones.

So is doing a backup using the desktop, but this does not allow you to transfer to another non BB phone.

So, can this be done or not?

I have never used a SIM to backup. As JSanders stated lose the Phone you lose the SIM.

The SIM card is capable of saving Name and Phone number, That is easily reconstructed, I need the addresses, email address, notes etc.

And as for backing up to desktop not allowing you to transfer to a non BlackBerry phone is not true.

Just about every phone out these days has an interface to Outlook / Windows Contacts etc which allows for an easy transfer to another device with all of the information.

Can you back up to the SIM? Yes one number at a time open up the contact record to save use the trackball to move to the phone number to copy, press the application button and choose copy to SIM phone book. You will need to do this for every phone number for every contact.

Sith_Apprentice
03-02-2008, 09:01 PM
and a SIM backup doesnt help if you lose the SIM :razz: Carriers also offer remote backup to their servers. It doesnt backup as much information as the Device (the same as the SIM, Name and primary number). ATT i know offers this, but i forget the name.

TroyDBrown
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
and a SIM backup doesnt help if you lose the SIM :razz: Carriers also offer remote backup to their servers. It doesnt backup as much information as the Device (the same as the SIM, Name and primary number). ATT i know offers this, but i forget the name.

AT&T Mobile Backup $1.99 a month.

John Clark
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Connecting to DM once a week is free.

TroyDBrown
03-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Connecting to DM once a week is free.

I am on the once a day plan, with Auto Backup! :smile:

samcallahan
05-03-2008, 07:09 PM
how do you backup on your computer?

jbairdjr
05-04-2008, 12:19 PM
You can actually back up the pst file from Outlook.
I back mine up once a week to a removable storage drive.
Just do the export function in Outlook, and save the pst file to the removable storage.

cglover2
08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
So, is there a clean link somewhere that tells you how to transfer all the information in your addresses from one BB to another of the same model? I just bought a "new" used phone because my old 7520 broke and I'm just trying to transfer all my addresses over. I'm not on a BES and I'm not setup right now to sync with Outlook (actually not sure if I can without BES since I don't have the original cd that came with the phone, since it was most likely lost somewhere a couple years ago). So, trying to figure out how to transfer all the addresses without retyping or losing half the info by copying over to SIM card.

Thanks

JSanders
08-01-2008, 03:49 PM
The old device: Desktop Manager > Backup.

The new device: Desktop Manager > Restore.

You may also enjoy using Desktop Manager > Switch Device Wizard, which will move all your data from the old to the new.

cglover2
08-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks. This may show my lack of knowledge on this but the Desktop Manager option, etc is where? On the computer or on the BB?

The old device: Desktop Manager > Backup.

The new device: Desktop Manager > Restore.

You may also enjoy using Desktop Manager > Switch Device Wizard, which will move all your data from the old to the new.

JSanders
08-01-2008, 04:31 PM
On the computer--get this--AFTER you install it.
BlackBerry Desktop Manager Downloads - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Desktop_Manager_Downloads)