PDA

View Full Version : 8320 & Gps

RckStar1
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I currently have T-Mobile and want the 8310 because of the GPS, but I find it better to get the 8320 from T-Mobile since I'll get a discount and avoid retail/much higher price. Is there a program that I can install on the 8320 so I can get GPS on it? Or will I have to get the 8310 unlocked?

NJBlackBerry
03-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Welcome to BB Forums!

You would need to get a GPS puck (check in the GPS and Mapping forum) as the 8320 does not have GPS hardware built it.

RckStar1
03-02-2008, 02:53 PM
oh, so I would have to carry this "puck", when i want to use gps? is this the only way? it seems more convenient getting the 8310.

update: so i've been reading around here and some have problems with the 8320 and the gps pucks. So I think I might go with the 8310. Will I need a data plan to use gps with T-Mobile?

Dubdub
03-02-2008, 03:05 PM
oh, so I would have to carry this "puck", when i want to use gps? is this the only way? it seems more convenient getting the 8310.

update: so i've been reading around here and some have problems with the 8320 and the gps pucks. So I think I might go with the 8310. Will I need a data plan to use gps with T-Mobile?

Yes. You need an unlimited BB data plan to use the map applications. The BB only downloads the portion of the map that you are currently using and then downloads additional sections as you move. There is no way to store map data on the BB or on the SD card. The apps use a lot of data, hence the need for an unlimited plan.

I have heard of using a regular data plan but it takes some workarounds to work and then it doesn't always work as needed.

JSanders
03-02-2008, 03:15 PM
You need an unlimited BB data plan to use the map applications.

Well, actually an "unlimited data plan" is not required, as any "BB Data Plan" with less than unlimited (say 5mb, 10mb per month) will work, although not wise, as GPS does use a GREAT deal of data, as Dubdub very aptly describes.