PDA

View Full Version : Tethering the 8820

radejr
03-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I have a 8820 and thinking about signing up for a blackberry personal package for the unlimited internet/html browsing what not. I want to tether it to my laptop to use that internet on my laptop will that incur any extra charge? Should I be able to do anything on my laptop and use the unlimited internet from my phone? I called once and a lady was nice enough to email me a link on how to set it up. I got the program set it up did a test run everything seemed to go through it was like a $5 test run since im paying as I go. I called back about 2 weeks later to talk to another guy he then told me no you hafta have a laptop connect card if u wanna use internet on your laptop through our network. I know you can call these people 100 times and always get a different answer.
Would the answer be that tethering my 8820 and having unlimited internet on my 8820 for the $30 a month or $50 with messaging would also allow unlimited internet on my laptop? I am about to go on a 13hr road trip on friday and need something to keep me busy heh. I did some searching, seen alot of people using it, but not a definit answer on it.

Basically I use my cell phone 99% of the time anymore. I started college so I am never home to use my DSL or home phone anymore while working 50 hrs a week and juggling a GF when I am home I am usually sleeping. So I need to find a good way to get rid of my home phone and DSL, but still be able to use my laptop to do my homework for school.

Thanks
Daniel

dakatza
03-03-2008, 10:31 AM
You have to add the Tethering option from what I've heard on here or else you will wacked with an outragous bill. Or you can get a laptop connect card which will get you 3G speeds (addtional charge as well). I just tried tethering my 8820 to see if i could do it and it worked but i wont know if they hit my account with an extra charge for another 3 weeks.

Short answer, Yes you can tether the 8820. You can't use the phone and be connected to the internet though at the same time. Best option if you can afford it as to get a 3g laptop card from AT&T or an EVDO card from Verizon. IMHO