PDA

View Full Version : Can you have internet without the full BB package?

thelastgoodbrother
03-15-2008, 09:37 AM
I just got a new curve (which I love) and my daughter wants my old 8700. I don't want to spend an additional 30 per month for a 17 yr old. I tried to just added unlimited internet under her number and then switch the sim card to the 8700. The problem is that it says that the "data connection is refused"...my carrier is T-mobile. Anyway around this? thanks

aiharkness
03-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm a liitle confused. If you and your daughter share a family voice plan, the additional blackberry plan would be 19.99, correct? What was it you added to your daughter's line?

On your question, see the article at the faq http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page on using a blackberry with a generic data plan, when the site is back up. In some cases, users can use opera mini with a basic carrier's data service, without blackberry data service.

Dubdub
03-15-2008, 01:57 PM
"Data connection refused" means there is no BB data plan associated with the BB.

The BB really doesn't work that well with it either. Some use a regular data plan and have manged to get Opera Mini to work, but from what I understand, it is not the easiest of things to do. Once you get it working, it seems to be adequate, however.

John Clark
03-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Try adding the following to Options >Advanced Options >TCP:

apn:wap.voicestream.com
username
password

leave username and password blank.

Then download and install www.operamini.com

Otherwise you'll need to add the $19.99 blackberry data plan to the account.

thelastgoodbrother
03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks I will try that when she gets back...