PDA

View Full Version : email sync with outlook

paddyoperry
07-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know if in addition to the calender and contact sync features of the desktop manager one can sync sent and received email?
Thanks,

penguin3107
07-17-2005, 09:52 AM
No, e-mail on a Blackberry does not sync using desktop manager.
In fact, it doesn't sync at all.

tsac
07-17-2005, 11:29 AM
I have a 7290 that is running 4.0 and uses Cingular for a provider. I have no problem with the email sync and Outlook. The one option you must set is wireless reconciliation is you want to delete both the BB and your desktop email. I tried this and found i had deleted email i wanted to keep on the desktop so i changed the option to "no"
The software running on your desktop may also be optioned wrong. i first set up for desktop sync and found that i had to be online and in my email program for that to work. Changed to server sync and all is working .Hope this helped.

tsac
07-17-2005, 11:33 AM
One other thing, your are using some form of corporate server for email i hope otherwise you will need a service provider to support the email transport to your BB

tsac
07-17-2005, 11:38 AM
good luck

eruggels
07-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Hello tsac I’m dealing with kind of the same issue. I want emails deleted on my BB to be removed from the cingular mail server BUT NOT from my outlook inbox (to help deal with an issue resulting from the cingular server filling too fast).

Currently I’m looking into the 7100 literature and experimenting and thus far, turning the reconciliation feature off prevents my BB from reflecting mailbox changes in the blackberry on the server. All I’m looking to do, as expressed, is keep mail on my outlook and remove it from the blackberry and cingular mail server which receives forwards from my primary account as a means of relaying information to the black berry.

please advise if you have any ideas. when looking in desktop manager i see the conduits for all but mail also.

tsac
07-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Ok if i understand you this is how it works at Cingular, if you are using a corporate BES to do the email. Your email server simply forwards the email to your BB. Cingular does not save or store any email. Your corporate server is where it is kept. The BB desktop option " wireless reconciliation" is what determines either the BB AND your corporate email is deleted or just the BB email is deleted. As i said before i found the double method very painful when i deleted the wrong email. If you dont have a BES server in your company, then you are using the desktop redirector to send the email and you should be able to also control the deletion of email with the same option. Aslo if you are using the desktop options then you must keep the machine up all the time to prevent problems.
Another problem i discovered is with the max storage limit imposed by my IT department. If i excede the max ( 30 megs storage ) they stop all sending from both the desktop and BB. The only was to avoid this is to clear emails from the desktop and then all is working. This is just one big pain imposed by the goons in IT.
If you are using Cingular as an email service for storage, i would still try the various options.
Another hint! Cingular does have a level 3 blackberry support. you have to get past the front line people who have trouble spelling Blackberry. they are usually very good at most problems.
again , good luck