PDA

View Full Version : BB 8830 used as USB storage device to play mp3

mvg
03-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I have a JVC stereo system in my truck which has a built in USB port for external storage media. So far I have only tried a Sandisk which works fine. I have a 2 gb mini card installed in my BB8830 and thought I would be able to access the card via the USB cable provided by BB. The phone at first displayed the Insufficient Current For Charging message which I was able to clear, then the Mass Storage Yes/ No message appeared. I clicked Yes but nothing happened. My stereo eventually displays READ FAILED.

Has anyone else tried this? Will this work, is there a setting on the phone?

Thanks

dangray
03-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Hi. I have an Sandisk 8GB SDHC card and I store mp3 files on it, and it connects to a bluetooth stereo headset just fine. Maybe format the card using your computer to Fat32 and using a USB cable to copy the music files over after that might work. (Thats what I did). Good luck.

tavella
03-17-2008, 08:04 AM
I also have a Sandisk 8GB SDHC card and I use my bb8830 (actually right now) as a mp3 player. I enable the mass storage and use WinAmp to play my music. The 8GB card may show the correct space, but I've heard that you cannot exceed somewhere around 3.3 gigs on the card before it will cause problems. I had an issue where I pulled the card from my phone, plugged it in the PC and copied some files and then when I put it back in the phone, the entire card became corrupted. It couldn't even be read in the computer. Had to format and start over. When the new update comes, it is supposed to fully support the 8GB cards.