PDA

View Full Version : Sprint 8830

superbobu2
03-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I am curious about some 8830 applications.
What exactly does provisioning do, and master radio reset and wiping a handheld. Why and when do you use these features?
Also where can I get step by step tutorials? Sprint website is useless!

thanks for info. :smile:

juwaack68
03-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Welcome to the forums!

- Provisioning makes your device active on the cell network
- Master Radio Reset is for Nextel BB deivces only and will reset the radio (wireless)
- There are 2 kinds of wiping: 1) security wipe which only removes all existing data and 2) OS wiping which will remove the Operating System and all applications

There are instructions here (just need to search around) and/or at the FAQ site (link in my signature).

superbobu2
03-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks. But I am still curious why you would have to provision? Why would a phone lose its provisioning? I have had to do it a bunch of times and costing me time. Also wondering why wiping or master radio reset is necessary? Does the OS just get corrupt and you have to wipe it?

juwaack68
03-21-2008, 01:30 PM
You typically only have to provision a device when you first get it. I only deal with corporate devices, and when I receive them for users I do all the provisioning steps. I did also do my own (personal BB) since I know how to do it.

I am not sure if personal devices are provisioned for people at the store, though.

A phone shouldn't 'lose' it's provisioning unless something was changed with the voice or data. What steps are you doing to re-provision it?

A security wipe is sometimes done during troubleshooting a device issue (when having issues getting the device to activate on a corporate BlackBerry server). Most comonly it's done when a device is given from one person to another.

Master Radio Reset (again, ONLY Nextel devices - not Sprint devices - use this) is done when a number is first assigned to a device (this is the 'provisioning' steps, if you will) or if the device is having issues connecting to the network.

superbobu2
03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I am doing it in a Corp environment also. Client will have phones for weeks and just won't connect one day. I have to provision it and then it start to receive data again.

thanks for info