PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a wet BB

TeritaM
03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
So I got my replacement from Asurion. I'm trying to figure out if I can backup my dead and drying berry or do I have to go with the last update from a week ago that is saved to my pc? Or should I just start from scratch again? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thatzmister2u
03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
How long has it been drying? Did you take the battery out immeadiately and have you left it out?

JSanders
03-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

Read the FAQ "I got my BlackBerry wet" at http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page
If you do all that is suggested, there is nothing else to do. Good luck.

Thatzmister2u
03-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

Read the FAQ "I got my BlackBerry wet" at Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page)
If you do all that is suggested, there is nothing else to do. Good luck.

That FAQ is still busted....

sloopercat
03-21-2008, 11:54 AM
I got my old BB wet. Lucky I was at work. I pulled the battery right away. I took compressed air and blew it as dry as I could then stuck it in a dessicator for 24 hours. It fired right up, used it for a year and gave it away. It had water spots on the back of the display, but other than that...

TeritaM
03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
thatzmister-I took the battery out wednesday night and its been sitting on a towel on a radiator ever since.
jsaunders-I couldn't get that faq to open.

dtdt
03-21-2008, 01:14 PM
I seem to recall reading in the faq that one should pull out the battery right away and leave the device for about 5 days in a dry area. An old trick we used to do when an SLR film camera got submerged: turn your oven on the lowest setting (usually 150`F) and place the camera, back opened, lens removed, on a potholder in the middle of the oven. Leave for 2-3 hours in the heat (closely monitored, of course). Worked 2 for 2 times!
I know this is like apples and oranges, but the theory was that the heat would expedite the internal evaporative process.

Good luck!

Thatzmister2u
03-21-2008, 01:14 PM
The radiator isn't a steam one is it? Hopefully not, you want DRY heat. I would give it until Sunday and then try putting the battery in and see if it will boot. Even if the LCD is dead as long as your can connect to DM then you can snag a backup.

I hope that it all works out!

Good Luck!

E-

TeritaM
03-21-2008, 02:02 PM
thanks for the tips...I hope it works out too.

Thatzmister2u
03-21-2008, 02:11 PM
thanks for the tips...I hope it works out too.

Good Luck Terita! We will have our fingers crossed for ya! Let us know how it goes!

E-

TeritaM
03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
ok, so it seemed dry. I put the battery in it and tried to fire it up. clearly it wasn't. the thing didn't come on at all. so I just restored from the old backup. oh well.

Thatzmister2u
03-21-2008, 06:56 PM
ok, so it seemed dry. I put the battery in it and tried to fire it up. clearly it wasn't. the thing didn't come on at all. so I just restored from the old backup. oh well.

Ahhh!! All of our advice and you just toss it all out the window and shove the battery in?!?! I'm *appalled*!! (Just teasing) Well let it dry a few days...might come back to life and you can sell it. Otherwise keep it for spare parts!

E-

TeritaM
03-21-2008, 07:15 PM
man I wanted to use my berry...two days without one is a long time. I was going through withdrawals!:cry:

it seemed dry. I don't think I'll be able to sell it, I can't imagine someone would want a chewed up berry with water damage lol.