PDA

View Full Version : Wife's Corp 8703e

untethered
03-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Am I playing with fire if I try to upgrade the OS? She's running v 4.1.0.377 and works for a bank (BES). No messaging, orig browser etc. Pretty boring... I would upgrade her OS etc and install Empower email viewer, some new themes and Opera Mini if it would work - but I don't want to do anything to trip her up. Suggestions / opinions before I do it and send her to bberry jail???

option94
03-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (t-mobile pearl)

Well, are there any IT policy's on it. You may not be able to di anything at all.

Dubdub
03-21-2008, 08:13 PM
If the device belongs to her employer and is paid for by her employer, yes you are playing with fire. My guess is they have an IT Policy on the BB which restricts messaging, browsing, etc.. Trying to circumvent or get around it could put her in position to get fired.

juwaack68
03-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I strongly recommend against upgrading her OS.

First of all, if she is on a corporate BES server, her device will have to complete an Enterprise Activation to work with the BES again - and as soon as she calls the IT dept to request a new password, they ask why and know what was done.

Playing with fire...not a good idea. Buy the wife her own BB that is BIS only, is my advice.

untethered
03-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah - that's what I was afraid of. Oh well - maybe it's an excuse to add a Pearl to the family to play with... Thanks. I didn't want to even try anything if there was a chance of IT coming down on her...

03-21-2008, 10:56 PM
First of all, if she is on a corporate BES server, her device will have to complete an Enterprise Activation to work with the BES again - and as soon as she calls the IT dept to request a new password, they ask why and know what was done.

I was subject to the IT department ire when I did exactly what Juwaack suggests NOT doing. I think they stonewalled me a bit becasue I was causing more work for them...never make IT mad....