PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, question about full internet access

kleraudio
03-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted before but I'm not too good with the search function (I didnt get any hits on my search criteria).

Its been a while since I have had a blackberry and I just recently purchased one on Ebay. I dont have the phone yet but it should be here Monday.

I remember back in 2005 when I got my first 7290 that it was a nightmare to set up FULL internet access through Cingular/AT&T. I had to set up the APN and such to use 3rd party software. (along with about 20 calls to Cingular)

I have read that thread just now and it brought back memories, Im just wondering if times have changed and if I can use third party software without a problem or do I still have to set up the APN and user name and password stuff that I did before??

I hope that all made sense!

Thanks in advance!

Jim

option94
03-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (t-mobile pearl)

You'll still need to have the apn set.

Its really simple though.

Its
wap.cingular

The user name is
WAP@<hidden>

And the password is
CINGULAR1

JSanders
03-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

Your question makes sense. The APN access is still needed and is quite easy to set in your BlackBerry at Options > Advanced > TCP. There is a thorough guide in our FAQ site.
I've never had a problem with it on any BlackBerry, on any of my carriers.
Good luck, and welcome back.

ezrunner
03-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Wirelessly posted

Jim

It really depends on what apps. Some require the APN to be set up. Most users set it then they don't have to worry about it. No calls to carrier required except to add appropriate BB data plan

kleraudio
03-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the quick help guys! Im glad I wont need to make a ton of calls!

So I take it that setting up this APN on cingular/AT&T is allowed and I wont incur any extra charges?

Cant wait to get this phone!

Jim

option94
03-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (t-mobile pearl)

Your aloud to set it up. There won't be any extra charges.

kleraudio
03-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Sweet, thanks again guys!

Im looking here on AT&T's website about data plans. They are saying its $35/month for Blackberry Personal Plans but they include text messaging as well.

I dont know what to make of it....

Jim

ezrunner
03-22-2008, 06:04 PM
if you do not text you can get BB data plan for 30 dollars

kleraudio
03-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Yea I just gave them a buzz and after a little wait, the nice lady gave me some info on what she knew about blackberries.

30 bucks get you unlimited BB Data plan

35 bucks gets you unlimited BB plan + 200 Text Messages....

I'll probably get the one for 35 bucks, I dont send many but I do send/receive about 50-100 per month.

Thanks again everyone!

Jim

TroyDBrown
03-22-2008, 09:00 PM
if you do not text you can get BB data plan for 30 dollars

I didn't realize they offered that plan.

ezrunner
03-22-2008, 09:15 PM
they sure do