PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade OS

NyAznBoy64
03-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Okay so as I stated in my previous post I am new to the world of Blackberry. I recently purchased a Cingular Blackberry 7280 on eBay and I am currently using it with a prepaid T-mobile account. I noticed that my OS is out of date [v3.7.1.21 (platform 1.6.1.23)] when I tried to update my Blackberry, near the end of the wizard I received a warning stating "After completing the loading operation, you must activate your device wirelessly to continue to send and recieve messages and use other Blackberry services." I am unsure about if i should upgrade my OS. For all that i know T-mobile prepaid does not offer any type of data plans BIS or the generic data. Would it be safe to upgrade my OS if all i do with the Blackberry is make and receive calls and send SMS text messges

NJBlackBerry
03-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes, it would be safe to do that. T-Mobile does not offer BlackBerry Data Plans on prepaid accounts, and you will be able to use voice and SMS texting after the upgrade.

The 7280 is fairly old; I am not even sure that the latest version is...

aiharkness
03-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g)

My opinion: If you are only using phone (and PIM apps) and it is working ok for you, I wouldn't bother.

NyAznBoy64
03-23-2008, 11:37 AM
what is the real benefits of upgrading my phones current OS, should i expect it to run a bit faster or anything.

NJBlackBerry
03-23-2008, 11:42 AM
No, it won't run any faster.
There are always some bug fixes, but there are no release notes.

aiharkness
03-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g)

Upgrades fix bugs and sometimes add features/function. I don't know if there's a newer version than what you have, or not, and what would be new or fixed even if there is. That's whay I say leave it alone if you don't have any complaints. But as NJ says, if there is a newer version, it won't hurt anything to upgrade. It's up to you, if you want to spend the time and effort.