PDA

View Full Version : PIN and Blackberry Messenger

berryisthenewblack
03-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Hello all,

Is there anyway to trace deleted PINS or Blackberry Messenger threads? Either on a BES or not on a BES? We're trying to make sure that all deleted corporate information is gone for security purposes and some of our guys have BES while others don't. Carriers are all in Canada.

Thanks for the help.

penguin3107
03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
How do I enable PIN and/or SMS logging? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_enable_PIN_and/or_SMS_logging%3F)

The BES enabled devices could have their PIN messages and/or BlackBerry Messenger conversations audited.
Wiping the handheld will not delete any audit logs that are stored on the BES, or any BlackBerry Messenger conversations that have been audited and emailed to an auditor.

option94
03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
If you do a security wipe, it will remove all traces of any pins and messages stored on it.

berryisthenewblack
03-24-2008, 11:04 AM
How do I enable PIN and/or SMS logging? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_enable_PIN_and/or_SMS_logging%3F)

The BES enabled devices could have their PIN messages and/or BlackBerry Messenger conversations audited.
Wiping the handheld will not delete any audit logs that are stored on the BES, or any BlackBerry Messenger conversations that have been audited and emailed to an auditor.

Who would know if they are being monitored? We're using a 3rd party BES for those accounts.

Sith_Apprentice
03-24-2008, 11:06 AM
whoever the BES admin is, they can enable the audit

berryisthenewblack
03-24-2008, 11:21 AM
How difficult is it to restore deleted PINS/Messenger threads without a security wipe?

penguin3107
03-24-2008, 11:24 AM
How difficult is it to restore deleted PINS/Messenger threads without a security wipe?

Not sure what you're asking.
What do you mean by 'restore deleted PINS'?

You want to put them back on the device?

berryisthenewblack
03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Not sure what you're asking.
What do you mean by 'restore deleted PINS'?

You want to put them back on the device?

If I delete a PIN on my device is there any way to retrieve that PIN later on? Is it stored anywhere on the device or elsewhere that can later be recovered?

penguin3107
03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
If I delete a PIN on my device is there any way to retrieve that PIN later on? Is it stored anywhere on the device or elsewhere that can later be recovered?

You can only put it back on the device if you've backed up your PIN messages using Desktop Manager.
You could then restore the PIN messages from your backup.

If you just want to see the PIN message... but not necessarilly put it back on the device... then you can try speaking to your BES admin about it.
If they're logging PIN messages, and they're willing to assist, they should be able to get you the content you need.

berryisthenewblack
03-24-2008, 11:40 AM
You can only put it back on the device if you've backed up your PIN messages using Desktop Manager.
You could then restore the PIN messages from your backup.

If you just want to see the PIN message... but not necessarilly put it back on the device... then you can try speaking to your BES admin about it.
If they're logging PIN messages, and they're willing to assist, they should be able to get you the content you need.

I think I get it. So if there's no physical backup (ie cable) and there's no BES then PINS and Messenger threats are gone for good from the device?

Thanks a lot Penguin, you are super helpful as is this entire forum.

penguin3107
03-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I think I get it. So if there's no physical backup (ie cable) and there's no BES then PINS and Messenger threats are gone for good from the device?

Thanks a lot Penguin, you are super helpful as is this entire forum.

That's correct. Without BES logging the messages... and without a manual desktop manager backup... they're gone for good.

You're quite welcome.