PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking the Berry...

ScOObydoo
08-25-2004, 04:32 PM
No, this isn't going to be a commercial post about how to, or me offering to...

I'm just curious how the few commercial firms out there unlock the devices, afaik you need to send it in, do they have some kind of bootloader that removes the lock? Or do they really open them up and do some kind of work inside them?

finch
08-25-2004, 05:55 PM
If I recall from the the BB 6210 I had unlocked for a client there was a cable connected to a loader device which seems to flash the device to unlock it.

Tom
08-25-2004, 05:57 PM
yea, a loader appears to be the only way :(

finch
08-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Great resource for unlocking BB's Bongowireless www.bongowireless.com

AMCELL J
08-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Yeah but isnt it $100 a little bit much for unlocking it? I dont know in my humble opinion thats a little excessive... :shock:

ScOObydoo
08-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Yeah but isnt it $100 a little bit much for unlocking it? I dont know in my humble opinion thats a little excessive... :shock:

When you are the only one capable of doing this you can pretty much ask whatever you want...

I'm just curious why their solution hasn't made it out into the open yet...

AMCELL J
08-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Yes, maybe not too much demand for it....thats my guess...

finch
08-26-2004, 01:02 PM
There are a few who charge more. Yes $100 is a stretch but if you need it done well... I could very well be that there is little need as well especially if you can find a Cingular BB they come unlocked out of the box!

Mark Rejhon
08-26-2004, 09:52 PM
My Rogers 7280 is a former broken Cingular.

Speaking of that, there's a story behind that...

Some of you familiar visitors that come from different Blackberry forums may remember my interesting posts in April in the other forums about giving my Blackberry circuit board a 10 minute bath in distilled water followed by a low-temperature 150 degree bake for a few hours, which fixed a broken Cingular 7280 that I intentionally purchased at less than half the price of a new "contract" Blackberry 7280 or about one third the price of a "non-contract" Blackberry 7280.

Some of the other newer forum members will say in a shocked manner: Huh? You intentionally washed a 7280 completely immersed in water!?"

True, but it is not quite that simple. (It was dissasembled as much as possible first!). It took me a month before I got the guts to put the Blackberry circuit board (sans casing, metal cover and LCD) into a bowl of distilled water, swish it nonstop for 10 minutes, and then put it in an oven on a paper towel preheated to 150 degrees (intermittently turning it back on every 15 minutes for 1 minute to maintain 150 degrees).

Liquid immersion in a circuit-board-safe liquid is the industry standard procedure for repairing water-damaged electronics. It's contaminants that's often the only damage; you simply need to get rid of contaminants with a gentle solvent. Other times it's stubborn moisture stuck in the micrometers of space underneath chips between chips and circuit board, which simply need to be baked out at low temperatures that's much hotter than room temperature. I got a lot of information when researching the repair industry. What happens is that clean liquid washes away dirty contaminants that are causing short circuits and fake resistors, then you bake to evaporate all the clean liquid, and presto -- average 50% chance of successful repair of a water-damaged cellphone | PDA | digicam | etc. More complex electronics such as water-damaged laptops are vastly more difficult to dissassemble and repair, as several components probably need to be replaced, so I don't bother with that.

I did the Q-Tip thing at first, but that did not work (contaminants can get under chips, and short pins of BGA chips, etc, your Q-Tip ain't going to be able to do zip in these cases).

It is important to remove the battery immediately upon first accident with water (the battery is the main reason of damage in water-damaged electronics, water causes short-circuits while the battery is still installed). And resist testing the electronics until it's fully cleaned (washed first in liquid if necessary) and dried out for a few days (or a few hours completely dissassembled under a heat lamp or low-temp baking). Some electronics containing only plastic chips on plastic circuit boards have been successfully repaired after being underwater in a lake for a full week! Certain elements such as LCD screens have a connector that is sensitive to water, especially if the water leaks between the two layers of the LCD glass, so that's why I removed the LCD screen first. (RIM950 LCD screens are very water sensitive, they are always the first thing to break when a RIM950 gets immersed in liquid, but everything else in those are repairable using the wash-and-bake method.)

I should add, it is absolutely critical to completely disassemble any water-damaged gadget before attempting such a procedure. (No casing, no metal circuitboard covers, no LCD screen, just the bare motherboard with all components in plain view) In fact, if possible, dissassembly immediately after first waterlogging accident is important if you want to try and skip the circuit board immersion-cleaning method I used, but one must resist the temptation to test the device until it's cleaned and dried out.

I also posted some of this information in sci.electronics.misc:
Google Newsgroup Article about Fixing my Blackberry (http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=Blackberry+water+damage&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=323f419b.0404121630.12bebeff%40posting.google.com&rnum=1)
Complete newsgroup thread containing different suggestions; Denatured alcohol; distilled water; etc (http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=323f419b.0404121630.12bebeff%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DBlackberry%2Bwater%2Bdamage%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D323f419b.0404121630.12bebeff%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D1)

Family K9
08-27-2004, 09:29 PM
I can confirm what someone wrote earlier about Cingular's being unlocked as I have one and am using it on another network without a hitch!
Nick

guinda35
09-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Would someone please explain what locked and unlocked Berry's mean? I'm debating over where to buy my 7230. Is this something I should be looking at?

eradis
09-17-2004, 06:15 AM
guinda35:

The idea is the blackberry is "locked" to a carrier ( i.e. Cingular ) and you couldn't just replace the SIM with another carriers and have it work like you could if it was "unlocked". The way they do this is Load a MEP ( Mobile Equipment Personilazation ) file based on a carrier onto the device.

vinniet
10-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Hello ... I heard that T-Mobile will unlock it pretty easly. You said that you are traveling over seas and you want ot use your phone. If you have had service for a few months they will unlock the device.

Vinnie

aau007
01-07-2005, 01:22 PM
You can get a Cingular unit which comes unlocked, or be a "good customer" with TMobile for at least 60 to 90 days and they will unlock your Blackberry over with tech support.

spchamp1
01-13-2005, 05:52 PM
I do not know about earlier Cingular Blackberries, but I do know that the Cingular 7290 is unlocked. Keep this in mind guys. I work for AT&T/Cingular, and when we first started getting Triband, and Quadband phones they WERE unlocked, however, now all the phones that were unlocked, are locked. We believe it is because AT&T employees abused the "satisfy the customer" policy we had for special cases where legacy AT&T customers wanted the Razr or MPX220, but didnt want the current Cingular plans.

I do not know if this is temporary or if they are adopting the AT&T policy of phones being locked. I will post more info as I hear it.

To my knowledge though, the Blackberries are still UNLOCKED!!

awatters
01-21-2005, 04:34 PM
ok - so how do you tell if ithe 7290 is locked or unlocked? what is the procedure

timshau
01-28-2005, 01:46 PM
I have found both Cingular and T-Mobile willing to unlock the SIM as long as you have had the phone for a while. The reason I gave, truthfuly, is that I travel internationally and want to use a pre-paid SIM with a local number rather than pay expensive international roaming rates. There is a unique unlock code for each phone based on the IMEI number. T-Mobile says they get this code from the manufacturer once requested by the customer.

Below are the instructions from T-Mobile for the 7100 - just so everyone knows what the process is. Note that you only get 10 attempts to unlock before the SIM is permanently locked, so be careful - stop before step 5 unless you have an unlock code.

This posting does not include the unlock code - you will have to contact your carrier for this and they will send you the information or help you do this over the air. Note that both Cingular and T-mobile wanted to do this from a land line with your mobile available.

You can follow steps 1-4 without any danger to find out if your SIM is locked or not. If unlocked for T-Mobile, the Network is "inactive" rather than "active" in step 4.

----

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Below you will see the Instructions for unlocking your Blackberry 7000 Series.

NOTE: If you receive an error message while performing the instructions below, stop. Please be aware that if an excessive amount of incorrect attempts are made, the phone will be permanently locked. Verify the IMEI by pressing *#06# and submit a new request. You have 10 attempts to enter the correct code.

To Unlock:
1. On the Home screen, click the Tools icon. The Options screen appears.

2. In the tools screen, select the Settings icon.

3. Scroll to SIM Card and select it. You should see the phone number and the SIM ID number.

4. Type 'mepd' to display the first five levels of SIM locking. T-Mobile uses network locking so the Network should display Active. All other states should display Disabled

Please note: For the Blackberry 7100t you will hit the "P" twice when entering the 'mepd' and 'mep2' for steps 4 & 5.

5. Type 'mep2' to display the dialog box asking for the unlock code (Press the Alt + 2 key to get the number 2)

6. Input the SIM Unlock code (it will be 16 digits long)

7. Press ENTER and reboot handheld.

morganc14
01-28-2005, 10:16 PM
I have been aggresively looking for a 7290 that is unlocked to use with T-Mobile. I have been finding some conflicting info. On ebay you can find several for decent prices, but one dealers said that his customers are now saying that Cingular has started locking them and they will not work. I have been a TMo customer for over two years. Do you think that if I buy one of things and it is locked, that Tmo can unlock it if it's locked by Cingular. Also, if anyone can help me find one for uner $250, that would be awesome. Thanks

ngeller
02-02-2005, 09:27 AM
I have been aggresively looking for a 7290 that is unlocked to use with T-Mobile. I have been finding some conflicting info. On ebay you can find several for decent prices, but one dealers said that his customers are now saying that Cingular has started locking them and they will not work. I have been a TMo customer for over two years. Do you think that if I buy one of things and it is locked, that Tmo can unlock it if it's locked by Cingular. Also, if anyone can help me find one for uner $250, that would be awesome. Thanks

T-mobile can't unlock another network's units and vice versa, they don't have access to the codes. Good luck finding one for under $250.00. You may be able to find one in that range with a new subscription or an upgrade (I'm not really sure how those work), but if you are buying it without the activation or contract, expect to pay a little less than double.

vietsb
02-17-2005, 04:24 PM
ok - so how do you tell if ithe 7290 is locked or unlocked? what is the procedure

As per the previous instructions:

-Options
-SIM Card
-Type "mepd"
-Look for tell-tale signs such as "Active" next to "Network", which probably indicates a Network-level lock.

I have an option to "Change PIN2 Code" or "Enable Security" both of which ask for a PIN code and say "3 left" which possibly means we only have 3 chances to enter the PIN in correctly or we permanently lock the phone setting!

carlosaldm
02-23-2005, 09:00 PM
I have a new blackberry 5810 that was supossed to be unlocked but it seems to be locked. The box and phone doesn't have a logo or info about a specific carrier. I made what you said (without the sim card):

-Options
-SIM Card
-Type "ALT" + "mepd"
-Look for tell-tale signs such as "Active" next to "Network", which probably indicates a Network-level lock.

The blackberry shows:
SIM: Disabled
Network: Active
Network Subset: Disable
Service Provider: Disable
Corporate: Disable

Do this means that the blackberry is locked? If locked, what Carries it's locked to, can I get this info? I don't know what to do, I will have to sell this phone. Any help will be very appreciated.

matt_the_katt
03-24-2005, 06:42 PM
On the ATT 7280, I found a site in the uk called: http://www.m-99.co.uk/Mobile_Phone_Unlocking/ Blackberry/blackberry.html

they want $19.95 (EU). all they need is the IMEI number and will send you the unlocking code. you get the IMEI number by entering *#06#

has anyone found that this works?

chucky0014
03-30-2005, 08:47 PM
i have a blackberry 7210 with at&t and i want to use it with cingular does any one know how i can or where i can get it unlocked to use with cingular. i currently have cingular and want to use this phone instead.

scottyv106
03-30-2005, 10:46 PM
cingular is coming out with an AT&T/Cingular sim card that will actually work on the cingular network even thought the phone is at&t... check with your local store. i remeber someone telling me that. good luck..

V12
04-19-2005, 07:05 AM
Hello guys
I'm from Georgia(Caucasian Region). I have just got a BlackBerry 7230, and it is blocked by SIM. When I put my SIM card I see "Invalid SIM card" what can I do against this.
Thank you forward

V12
04-25-2005, 09:02 AM
SOOOS guys, need your help !!!!!

NJBlackBerry
04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
You are going to have to contact the original carrier and see if they will unlock it for you. Since they won't, the only alternative is to use Bongo Wireless. You have to send them the BB, along with $100 US. There are no other unlocking services today.

Just like it says in this thread.

AIRBORNE
06-13-2005, 06:50 PM
You are going to have to contact the original carrier and see if they will unlock it for you. Since they won't, the only alternative is to use Bongo Wireless. You have to send them the BB, along with $100 US. There are no other unlocking services today.

:space:

IF ANYONE HAS HAD THERE BLACKBERRY UNLOCK ! DID YOU TAKE INTO THE CARRIER AT&T , ETC. AND THEY USED A LOADING DEVICE OR HAD THEY JUST ENTER UNLOCK CODES VIA KEYPAD ???? EAGLE EYES !!!!! 8-)

rcg
06-13-2005, 07:06 PM
I requested/received a code from Tmo for our 7100t... it was successful.

AIRBORNE
06-14-2005, 02:34 AM
I requested/received a code from Tmo for our 7100t... it was successful.

:smile:

I need to acquire some samples of matches " imei " number to unlock code you were provided from carrier with to help understand unlock code sequence generation !!! Also , might have unlock fix for all blackberrys within a week and charges $ 50.00 US for service plus shipping !!!! 8-) (y)

sdl32
08-08-2005, 09:41 PM
my BB 7280 has an icon with a circle around it and a line across it and say 507 at the bottom. any ideas? that mean it's locked? cuz the thing won't do anything besides turn on the light.

Smhblackberry
08-08-2005, 10:11 PM
ok, I had a problem with my 7520. called support and they said it was locked. they had me enter some numbers and reboot. below is what my screen now says:

SIM CARD: Security Disabled
Personalization:
SIM Unknown
Network Unknown
Network Subset Unknown
Service Provider Unknown
Corporate Unknown

does this mean it is unlocked?

NJBlackBerry
08-08-2005, 10:15 PM
my BB 7280 has an icon with a circle around it and a line across it and say 507 at the bottom. any ideas? that mean it's locked? cuz the thing won't do anything besides turn on the light.
No, it means that it has no operating systems on it. Download the latest OS from your carrier, execute the download, connect the BB and start Desktop Manager.

NJBlackBerry
08-08-2005, 10:15 PM

I need to acquire some samples of matches " imei " number to unlock code you were provided from carrier with to help understand unlock code sequence generation !!! Also , might have unlock fix for all blackberrys within a week and charges $ 50.00 US for service plus shipping !!!! 8-) (y)
So, how are you doing with this?

tfalpha
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
ok, I had a problem with my 7520. called support and they said it was locked. they had me enter some numbers and reboot. below is what my screen now says:

Personalization:
SIM Unknown
Network Unknown
Network Subset Unknown
Service Provider Unknown
Corporate Unknown

Mine says the same thing as this. I also have a 7520 with nextel, im not sure what you mean though by no OS. Are you referring to the OS nextel provides for the BB? Cause my BB still has the OS that it was shipped w/ from Nextel.

dhudgins
08-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7100t Enhanced: BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I have 4 valid unlock codes for 4 blackberries PM me and I'll send em to you

dhudgins
08-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7100t Enhanced: BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

dhudgins
08-11-2005, 05:51 PM

dhudgins
08-11-2005, 05:53 PM

NJBlackBerry
08-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

** UNLOCK CODES ARE UNIQUE TO EACH BLACKBERRY **

YOUR CODES WILL NOT WORK
YOUR CODES WILL NOT WORK
YOUR CODES WILL NOT WORK
YOUR CODES WILL NOT WORK

Windy
08-30-2005, 11:09 AM
I have found both Cingular and T-Mobile willing to unlock the SIM as long as you have had the phone for a while. The reason I gave, truthfuly, is that I travel internationally and want to use a pre-paid SIM with a local number rather than pay expensive international roaming rates. There is a unique unlock code for each phone based on the IMEI number. T-Mobile says they get this code from the manufacturer once requested by the customer.

Below are the instructions from T-Mobile for the 7100 - just so everyone knows what the process is. Note that you only get 10 attempts to unlock before the SIM is permanently locked, so be careful - stop before step 5 unless you have an unlock code.

This posting does not include the unlock code - you will have to contact your carrier for this and they will send you the information or help you do this over the air. Note that both Cingular and T-mobile wanted to do this from a land line with your mobile available.

You can follow steps 1-4 without any danger to find out if your SIM is locked or not. If unlocked for T-Mobile, the Network is "inactive" rather than "active" in step 4.

----

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Below you will see the Instructions for unlocking your Blackberry 7000 Series.

NOTE: If you receive an error message while performing the instructions below, stop. Please be aware that if an excessive amount of incorrect attempts are made, the phone will be permanently locked. Verify the IMEI by pressing *#06# and submit a new request. You have 10 attempts to enter the correct code.

To Unlock:

3. Scroll to SIM Card and select it. You should see the phone number and the SIM ID number.

4. Type 'mepd' to display the first five levels of SIM locking. T-Mobile uses network locking so the Network should display Active. All other states should display Disabled

Please note: For the Blackberry 7100t you will hit the "P" twice when entering the 'mepd' and 'mep2' for steps 4 & 5.

5. Type 'mep2' to display the dialog box asking for the unlock code (Press the Alt + 2 key to get the number 2)

I followed these steps on my Cingular-branded 7290, and here's what I got:

SIM: Disabled
Network: Disabled
Network Subset: Disabled
Service Provider: Disabled
Corporate: Disabled

Does this mean my BB is unlocked?

Thanks,

Windy

sn00py
08-30-2005, 12:51 PM
make sure that your new provider uses the same band as your blackberry.

I tried unlocking a tmobile BB when my company switched to Cingular, and a tech guy I know in Cingular told me that the phone would not work anyway. it would be a total waste or make an expensive paper weight.

NJBlackBerry
08-30-2005, 12:56 PM
sn00py - that is a load of crap. T-Mobile BlackBerrys work fine on Cingular and vice versa. The "tech guy" you spoke too is 100% incorrect.

corey@12mile
08-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Here's the way I see it... There are only 3 ways to get a blackberry unlocked.

1. From you carrier. Some do it, some don't. Some charge, some don't. Either way, the carrier can send you a code, based on your IMEI number that will unlock the device.

2. From someone who works for a carrier or knows someone who works for a carrier. These people do the exact same thing as option 1, but without the knowledge of the carrier. These people apparently don't mind risking their jobs for a few hundred extra bucks.

3. Bongo Wireless. Kevin has an interface cable (for lack of better term) that will read/calculate the unlock code from the device's ROM. For him to do this, he needs the actual unit.

My take on the whole thing is that if your carrier will give you the code, cool... get it. If not and there is a crooked carrier employer who hasn't gotten caught yet, what the heck, the worst they are going to do is steal your 50 bucks. Once you have exhausted all options and are ready to deal with the only 3rd party who can reliably unlock your blackberry, you are going to call Bongo.

People complain that $100USD is too much, well look at your alternatives... there are no other reliable alternatives if your carrier won't do it. $100 is more than reasonable if you ask me, considering nobody else can actually unlock a blackberry regardless of the carrier. Rogers charges $250 to unlock a blackberry, and I am not even under contract... I own all my blackberries outright, that's something that is unreasonable. I guess my demo voice and data lines kinda make up for it though.

cd.

kartooz
09-02-2005, 12:04 PM
the wait is over. ofcourse somebody not going to like this. (There is time to make good money and time is up.......) BLACKBERRY unlocking CLIP is OUT. now i will only disclose this . this clip's founder is in canada more presicely in TORONTO. STAND ALONE CLIPS and only availble to dealer's. at this moment no REMOTEUNLOCKING service is available only POSTAL or WALKIN. I HAVE ONLY POSTED this info on 2 fourms. GSM-FOURM and on this blackberry fourm.com...... SEPT 12 is the RELEASE DATE so sit tight. KEEP you guys POSTED>>>>>>

kartooz
09-02-2005, 12:08 PM
BLACKBERYY UNLOCKING SOLUTION DATE IS SEPT 12 .... more info will be posted on sept 12......2005....

LovaDaBB
09-02-2005, 06:44 PM
unlocking clip?

idle0095
09-02-2005, 09:36 PM
can this even be done?

GadgetJunkie
09-03-2005, 03:18 PM
the wait is over. ofcourse somebody not going to like this. (There is time to make good money and time is up.......) BLACKBERRY unlocking CLIP is OUT. now i will only disclose this . this clip's founder is in canada more presicely in TORONTO. STAND ALONE CLIPS and only availble to dealer's. at this moment no REMOTEUNLOCKING service is available only POSTAL or WALKIN. I HAVE ONLY POSTED this info on 2 fourms. GSM-FOURM and on this blackberry fourm.com...... SEPT 12 is the RELEASE DATE so sit tight. KEEP you guys POSTED>>>>>>

When you say "... only to dealers..." do you mean Cingular, or Momma Mildred's Mobile Madhouse? What level dealer? Cingular? Circuit City? HUH?

vnick76
09-03-2005, 06:19 PM

The offer is still available ?

vnick76
09-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Who know to explain exactly the pricedure to insert the unlocking code on the BBERRY device.
I tryed this; but was function only "mepd" and got the status of the sim card, never get the dialog box for unlock code.

To Unlock:

Thank's alot.

kartooz
09-06-2005, 10:44 AM
from SEPT 12 2005 ANY BLACKBERRY CAN BE UNLOCK UNDER 50 USD....... wait for more info.

corey@12mile
09-06-2005, 11:34 AM
from SEPT 12 2005 ANY BLACKBERRY CAN BE UNLOCK UNDER 50 USD....... wait for more info.

what a load. do we kick yer bum bum now, or on SEPT 13 2005 D00D?

BongoWireless
09-06-2005, 12:30 PM
It's true, but it's no big secret...Griffin Team has made a clip that will unlock all Blackberry's. Soon to be released.

vnick76
09-07-2005, 01:28 AM
That's a realy good news !!!
I am eager to unlock my Berry...
I will wait details about this starting on 12 September.
Thank's ALOT !!!

LovaDaBB
09-12-2005, 04:45 PM
It's Sept 12'th.....any more info?

hadji
09-13-2005, 05:22 AM
we are now the 13 september...any news?? :oops:

CatScan29
09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Instead of just sitting here complaining / inquiring about it has anyone thought that maybe it is time to start a class action suit against these companies.
We have paid for a device and expect to be able to use it. I know I was not informed that the device would be locked to a single network and now through no fault of my own I can no longer use this device due to the merger and the lock that is placed on the device. It's time for us consumers to stand up for our rights. We hold the almighty dollar, without our money these companies wouldnt survive. The only way they are going to listen is if we hit them and their shareholders where it hurts, the pocketbook.
I have already drafted a letter to AT&T / Cingular and forwarded to my lawyer so they can put in on their letterhead and make any reasonable changes.
Let me know if you are interested. If there is enough interest then it's time to take action.

crashnburn
10-13-2005, 07:26 PM

----

To Unlock:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?p=111657&posted=1#post111657

I used the procedure here which is different from the one here and I dont see anything so far. Please do let me know.

crashnburn
10-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Ok an update I just put in a Telefort (Europe - NL) prepaid card in and it did not say anything to the tune of SIM related issue. When I got into the SIM section it shows:

SIM Card: Security Disabled
ID 2939283928932893829832? (some long number with ? at the end).

Can someone verify if their unlocked phones would show the same with other SIMs?

roofus
10-14-2005, 06:17 AM
Can CDMA Berries be unlocked?

stan_etcetera
10-14-2005, 10:45 AM
That's rigth. Beside, you still have to send it to them...when you're in europe...not an inexpensive task.

Stan

stan_etcetera
10-14-2005, 10:51 AM
What about that clip. I am really interrested in it. How can I buy one? Will it be able to unlock the BB 5820 ?

Hot! Hot! Hot!
Stan

stan_etcetera
10-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Still waiting for Griffin!!

stonent
10-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Can CDMA Berries be unlocked?

I heard... and I don't know for sure if this is true... That Verizon doesn't lock them.

tathepilot
10-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (My sword: BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Hey 'catscan' I understand your anger. But before you start sending letters you should read you 'terms of service'... You pretty much give up all your rights and indemnify the carrier by signing

wmagb
10-22-2005, 08:26 PM
I heard... and I don't know for sure if this is true... That Verizon doesn't lock them.

I work at a Verizon Wireless store, and as far as I can tell, no Verizon Wireless phone is locked (sine the lock code for all phones is 000000). However, I know that if you try to activate a Verizon Wireless phone on SprintPCS, they won't let you because the SprintPCS billing system only allows ESNs that were originally intended for SprintPCS. I don't know if this is the case for other providers (Alltel, Bell Mobillity, Telus Mobility, etc), does anyone know? Thanks.

jdisauwg
10-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Just got back from Europe, and before I left I called T-mobile and they simply gave me the code. Ask and you shall recieve! Love their Customer Service!

Below is the email they sent me:

-----

To Unlock:

scpanj
11-13-2005, 11:41 AM
If you have locked Tmobile BB, and have any friend using Tmobile service, you can ask them to help you get unlocked code. I have just got one BB 7290, and before I even use it I got the unlock code from tmobile. Just another option.

-- steven

gbrudy16
11-15-2005, 03:13 AM
I work at a Verizon Wireless store, and as far as I can tell, no Verizon Wireless phone is locked (sine the lock code for all phones is 000000). However, I know that if you try to activate a Verizon Wireless phone on SprintPCS, they won't let you because the SprintPCS billing system only allows ESNs that were originally intended for SprintPCS. I don't know if this is the case for other providers (Alltel, Bell Mobillity, Telus Mobility, etc), does anyone know? Thanks.

that code you are refering to is the MSL code... not the lock code two seperate things. The lock code doesn't exist on most sprint phones because there is NO SIM CARD. Sprint uses the MSL (master Sub lock) to program the phones and the msl goes with the phones ESN# thats why if you ever switch to sprint/nextel from cingular or someone and you use a phone with a SIM it won't work on their network.
Work for Sprint I apologize

TEASWORLD
11-18-2005, 12:43 PM
No, this isn't going to be a commercial post about how to, or me offering to...

I'm just curious how the few commercial firms out there unlock the devices, afaik you need to send it in, do they have some kind of bootloader that removes the lock? Or do they really open them up and do some kind of work inside them?

TEASWORLD
11-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Honestly Just Call Your Providers And They Will Provide You W/ The Unlock Code. And By Chance Does Anyone Know The Procedure Or Steps To Et To The Particular Area To Put The Unlock Code In For The Blackberry 7520

NJBlackBerry
11-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Honestly you do not know what you are talking about. This has been documented thousands of times.

The 7520 is a Nextel device. Why do you need an unlock code?

GeneAlexander
12-12-2005, 05:38 PM
so, i take it that unlocking a 7100i from nextel would be pointless?

does unlocking a device open up any features on the device?

stonent
12-13-2005, 05:42 PM
You could use it on Southern Linc if they allow 7100i phones or blackberries for that matter (I don't think they have them) possibly Telus (but i've heard they imei lock their network)

mojo85
12-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Finaly blackberry unlocking is available from other place other than bongo, but not much cheaper, but at least we can choose someone else. 8-)

SMorganPhoto
12-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Can some one explain to me what I am seeing?

I see:

Personalization:
SIM - Disabled
Network - Active
Network Subset - Disabled
Service Provider - Disabled
Corporate - Disabled

wuberry
12-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Can some one explain to me what I am seeing?

I see:

Personalization:
SIM - Disabled
Network - Active
Network Subset - Disabled
Service Provider - Disabled
Corporate - Disabled

I think "Network - Active" means it's locked to your current carrier's network. (Mine -- on Cingular -- says the same.)

SMorganPhoto
12-26-2005, 01:02 PM
I think "Network - Active" means it's locked to your current carrier's network. (Mine -- on Cingular -- says the same.)

Hmmm, I guess I will have to change this in before my vacation next year

wuberry
12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Hmmm, I guess I will have to change this in before my vacation next year

Well, this one could get me a "you don't know what you're talking about," but I'd suggest thinking hard about whether getting the BB unlocked is really worth it to you.

For me, having my BB 7290 locked to Cingular is no big deal. Paying $100 to get it unlocked isn't worth it. There are two characteristics that make it that way.

1. I hardly ever use the BB as a phone. I carry a separate cellular phone that came unlocked from Cingular -- really, it did.

2. I travel internationally only occasionally.

When I travel internationally (maybe once a year), I pay the extra $20/month to change from the Cingular domestic unlimited data plan to the international unlimited data plan. And I can get a local SIM card for the (already unlocked) phone to avoid the exorbitant international roaming voice rates that Cingular charges. So for about $20/year, I get what I want. Do I think I'll have the BB 7290 for five years to make unlocking it pay off? No.

SMorganPhoto
12-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Well, this one could get me a "you don't know what you're talking about," but I'd suggest thinking hard about whether getting the BB unlocked is really worth it to you.

For me, having my BB 7290 locked to Cingular is no big deal. Paying $100 to get it unlocked isn't worth it. There are two characteristics that make it that way.

1. I hardly ever use the BB as a phone. I carry a separate cellular phone that came unlocked from Cingular -- really, it did.

2. I travel internationally only occasionally.

When I travel internationally (maybe once a year), I pay the extra $20/month to change from the Cingular domestic unlimited data plan to the international unlimited data plan. And I can get a local SIM card for the (already unlocked) phone to avoid the exorbitant international roaming voice rates that Cingular charges. So for about $20/year, I get what I want. Do I think I'll have the BB 7290 for five years to make unlocking it pay off? No.

I use my BB as a phone as well. From what I understand TMO will unlock it for you after being a "loyal" customer for a few months for free. So if that's the case I should be ok.

But, I belive NJ said he picked up a GSM phone that he only uses when he goes international. He just picks up a local SIM, uses the BB for email on his US SIM and uses the phone with the INT-Local SIM.

Maybe I can find a cheap one online some where so I can do that.

Who knows, I have a while to decide, just letting my excitement of travelling get to me. :D

dmoney5150
01-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I will unlock any Cingular/AT&T Phone

I will unlock any Cingular/AT&T Blackberry for a small fee ($25) (PAYPAL ONLY!) Please email me with any questions.
prices vary on normal phones not blackberrys!

Blackberry Unlocking For Cingular and AT&T Blackberrys also any Cingular/AT&T Mobile phone on the planet!!
I can unlock your phone using the IMEI to Access your IMEI#, from your main screen press *#06#
copy that number without any dashes or spaces and please double check the IMEI before sending.

Models: 7100g, 7280, 7290, 8700c and Any other Cingular/AT&T Phone on the planet!
(our service does not support 8700c from Cingular launch Party).
If your GSM model is not listed I Can help, Email me please... Bundys@<hidden>
Please allow 24 hours for a reply at the most!

i dont run a business nore do i have a program. i just work for cingular. :)

NJBlackBerry
01-03-2006, 10:39 PM
dmoney5150 - you have made your point. Many, many times.
Enough.

dmoney5150
01-03-2006, 10:50 PM
i have to get the word out there :/

Lex Luthor
01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I just wish the 8700r could be unlocked already.

dmoney5150
01-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Which provider?

Lex Luthor
01-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Well email me your IMEI and ill see what i can do. bundys@<hidden> i will do it for free. just for a test of my skills :) must be cingular or at&T

8700r is for Rogers Wireless in Canada not Cingular or AT&T in the U.S.

dmoney5150
01-04-2006, 12:27 AM
they have the 8700r for business accounts

Lex Luthor
01-04-2006, 02:04 AM
they have the 8700r for business accounts

I can send you the imei then... I'll send you a pm

Chiney
01-16-2006, 07:16 AM

Hey i have a 7290 and its with Cingular wireless, I need to unlock it so i can use it on Rogers Wireless here in Canada, do u have an unlock code for it...all i really need is the MEP code seeing how i already figured out how to unlock it partially.....any help would be greatful....thanks...

Chino.

Chiney
01-16-2006, 07:29 AM

I will unlock any Cingular/AT&T Blackberry for a small fee ($25) (PAYPAL ONLY!) Please email me with any questions.
prices vary on normal phones not blackberrys!

Blackberry Unlocking For Cingular and AT&T Blackberrys also any Cingular/AT&T Mobile phone on the planet!!
I can unlock your phone using the IMEI to Access your IMEI#, from your main screen press *#06#
copy that number without any dashes or spaces and please double check the IMEI before sending.

Models: 7100g, 7280, 7290, 8700c and Any other Cingular/AT&T Phone on the planet!
If your GSM model is not listed I Can help, Email me please... Bundys@<hidden>

i dont run a business nore do i have a program. i just work for cingular. :)

Hey i need to unlock my 7290 its with Cingular and i need to unlock it so i can use my Rogers Wireless...im willing to pay...email me chineywun@<hidden>

thanks,

Chino.

jepone
01-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey i have a 7290 and its with Cingular wireless, I need to unlock it so i can use it on Rogers Wireless here in Canada, do u have an unlock code for it...all i really need is the MEP code seeing how i already figured out how to unlock it partially.....any help would be greatful....thanks...

Chino.

jepone
01-25-2006, 07:47 PM
How do i email the guy who unlocks the bb 7290 for $25.00

hbomb341
01-25-2006, 10:13 PM
YA ... Cinguler just gave me the unlock code for my wife's 8700C Blackberry so both of mine are unlocked. I am two for two on getting cingular unlocking them for FREE.

ytay85623
01-31-2006, 03:01 AM
Need to unlock my Cingular BB 7290 as well. Willing to pay anyone who can provide remote unlock code. PM me

ALLBLACKBERRYUNLOCKER
02-03-2006, 12:20 AM

Fonedeals4u@<hidden>

I will unlock any Cingular/AT&T Blackberry for a small fee ($65) Please email me with any questions. prices vary on normal phones not blackberrys!

If your GSM model is not listed I Can help, Email me please... Fonedeals4u@<hidden>

BBAdmin
02-03-2006, 04:19 AM
Now that's a sly bit of advertising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dsstroyer
02-09-2006, 11:41 AM
dmoney5150 I sent you PM, are you still unlocking BB's?

semen
02-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Honestly you do not know what you are talking about. This has been documented thousands of times.

The 7520 is a Nextel device. Why do you need an unlock code?

would i need to unlock my BB 7520 for nextel if i want to put a boost mobile sim card

semen
02-10-2006, 09:00 PM
e mail me if any one could help me with my question

lgreenberg
02-10-2006, 09:55 PM
would i need to unlock my BB 7520 for nextel if i want to put a boost mobile sim card

Nextel phones do not need to be unlocked to work with Boost SIM cards. However, the Nextel Blackberrry will not fully function with a Boost SIM inserted. DC, phone and the browser should all work. However, e-mail and PIN will not.

sriraj
03-01-2006, 06:02 AM
Please help:

1. I have got the UNLOCK code from TMobile
2. When i type MEP2 it asks for "Enter Network MEP Code" instead of Unlock Code
3. I do not have the MEP code. How do i get this.
4. I am unlocking the phone outside of Tmobile network

Please help.

regds

vivek_cbe
03-08-2006, 08:20 PM

----

To Unlock:

Please note: For the Blackberry 7100t you will hit the "P" twice when entering the 'mepd' and 'mep2' for steps 4 &amp; 5.

when i press mepd on my 7780 i get the following :

sim card security : disabled
id : ( one big number )
personalization
sim : disabled
network : active
network subset : disabled
service provider : disabled
corporate : diabled
phone number : ( number )

does this mean my phone is locked or open ?

Rubicant
03-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Locked.

Gettingthat
03-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know if theres a way to find the unlock code in Cingular's POSII system or do they go through RIM.

quailallstar
03-11-2006, 08:04 PM
:bb:

Hey guys im new here. Nice forums.. :smile:

I took all your advice and I called up T-mobile just now and they unlocked my blackberry. Now im going to cancel my Tmobile service and stick with Cingular. (y)

Fireproof
03-11-2006, 09:23 PM
what the hell is it with this thread - every other post is from someone with less than 5 posts SPAMMING their unlocking service or device!!

Not one post (well, except for a couple coming close) even come close to addressing Scooby's original post.

coreyg510
03-11-2006, 09:26 PM
NOTICE:

please stay on topic. I believe there are enough links to unlocking sites on this thread now. Any further posts soliciting unlocking sites should be deleted by a Moderator.

Thanks,
your friendly neighborhood moderator

stellair777
03-13-2006, 09:28 PM

I would like to give you my IMEI # and see if you can do something and I will gladly pay the $50

Stella

stellair777
03-13-2006, 09:30 PM
NOTICE:

please stay on topic. I believe there are enough links to unlocking sites on this thread now. Any further posts soliciting unlocking sites should be deleted by a Moderator.

Thanks,
your friendly neighborhood moderator

But we still have no solution, at least I do not for the AT & T locked BB7280...are you saying that your cheat sheet link will solve our problems?

Stella

coreyg510
03-13-2006, 10:22 PM
But we still have no solution, at least I do not for the AT & T locked BB7280...are you saying that your cheat sheet link will solve our problems?

Stella

No.. I am saying there have been many links to unlocking sites posted on this thread and others. Just because you have not found an answer to your problem does not mean that this thread should become overrun with links to unlocking sites. As i stated before, any posts containing links to other unlocking sites will be considered spam and deleted immediately.

vivek_cbe
03-14-2006, 07:21 PM
when i press mepd on my 7780 i get the following :

sim card security : disabled
id : ( one big number )
personalization
sim : disabled
network : active
network subset : disabled
service provider : disabled
corporate : diabled
phone number : ( number )

does this mean my phone is locked or open ?

is there a way to unlock this phone??

i called cingular and at&t , each say that its not there problem !!

NJBlackBerry
03-14-2006, 07:25 PM
If the carriers will not help you, you will have to contact one of the fee based unlockers. Check out bongowireless.com or gsmphonesource.com and see if they can unlock it for you.

nb_mitch
03-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Today was a good day for Cingular.

I got my BB unlocked for free instantly by calling the International CS, he gave me the code over the phone and stayed on the line while I entered it to make sure it worked.

I then called the other CS to get my credit for the 7290 I returned, and after about 5 minutes my balance online is now negative.

This is the first day I have been happy to be a Cingular customer :)

Mitch

Microse
03-18-2006, 03:05 AM
If I recall from the the BB 6210 I had unlocked for a client there was a cable connected to a loader device which seems to flash the device to unlock it.

I need software for unlocking 7100t please
ntambim@<hidden>

astcell
03-23-2006, 08:45 AM
This is the first day I have been happy to be a Cingular customer :)

Mitch

That deserve an entire thread to itself. Too many horror stories?

astcell
03-23-2006, 01:44 PM
As for all these unlocking codes being given away....

That's the problem with things that are free -- they are usually overpriced.

mbay2002
04-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm traveling overseas from the U.S., so I called Cingular and asked for the unlock code. They emailed it to me after a few days (though their instructions were incorrect, they said to type "MPED" rather than "MEPD" which makes a big difference).

Anyway, the phone is now unlocked. But I'm wondering:

1. is there a way to reverse this, i.e. can I re-lock my phone?
2. under "enable security" it asks for a PIN code, with 3 tries. What is the PIN code? Is this the same as the PUK code?
3. there is an option for "change PIN2 code". What is this code, and how is it used?

yunone
04-11-2006, 12:53 PM
those are for sim related stuff..... you can put a pin code on your sim card for security

A PUK (Pin Unlock Key) is required when a customer enters an incorrect PIN 3 times. After entering the wrong PIN 3 times, the card will be locked and the customer will need to get a PUK from Cingular to unlock it. Once a PUK has been received it will need to be entered to set a new PIN code.

The phone will display "PUK blocked call operator" when the PUK has been exceeded in failed attempts and the SIM is unusable.

mbay2002
04-11-2006, 04:25 PM
I found some additional info after reading the manual and calling up Cingular (though Cingular seems very clueless, as usual):

1. Cingular said that once my phone is unlocked, it cannot be re-locked.
2. As yunone said in the previous message, PIN code is for adding a security code to your SIM card (not sure of any additonal details, and there is not much in the manual on this). I didn't try it, but apparently if you enter 3 bad PIN codes, it will ask for your PUK (personal unlock) code, and then you can enter a new pin. You can get the PUK code from your service provider.
3. The PIN2 is discussed in the manual, and is used to enable the FDN (fixed dialing number) option, which will allow your phone to only call numbers that are contained in your personal phone book. Cingular gave me a PUK2 code that they said I would need if I enter 3 bad PIN2, then I'll be asked to enter the PUK2 code. Again, I have not tried, but this is what I was told.

bluepills
04-26-2006, 03:40 PM
you are right. each unlock code is unique for each blackberry. i got mine done remotely from cellularclinic.com no need to send in blackberry.
did my self.

bbclub
05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I recently followed a tutorial on unlocking my Treo, but there is also a blackberry online. See fasttutorial.com

NJBlackBerry
05-01-2006, 03:55 PM
From superunlock.com...

"The blackberry server is under maintenance and will be ready tomorrow. We will keep posted of any changes. The new upgraded software will also be issued at the same time."

kartooz
05-02-2006, 03:03 PM
lot of people doubted me and throw trash.. ok sorry for delay but here i finally claimed blackberry unlocking CLIP is released. or more info PM me or email me
kartooz@<hidden>

neale
05-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Hello all,

You can unlock your BlackBerry at phunlock.com
:smile: 6xxx and 7xxx series supported. the 87xx series support will be available in the next few weeks.

Hope this helps a lot of you looking to do this without sending your phone away.

-Neale

NJBlackBerry
05-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Always willing to trust someone with one posting...

rule35
05-04-2006, 12:50 PM
I have two BB that I would like to have unlocked has anyone ever heard of "phunlock.com"? I don't want to get ripped off!

bluepills
05-04-2006, 11:13 PM
yes they are good. also check cellularclinic.com they are in canada.
i got mine done remotely from them. i have posted this before.

rule35
05-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks I was able to get my BB's unlocked yesterday.

sakito
05-08-2006, 06:47 AM

sakito
05-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Is possible to unlock the 7100t without sim card?

thefonedoc
05-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Yes it is
Once you get your MEP code, you can enter it with or without your sim card in the phone

Jaguarandine
05-15-2006, 12:39 AM
So I take it that all BlackBerrys (regardless of carrier) can now be unlocked via software of some kind? It's a little unclear from looking at this thread..

thefonedoc
05-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Except the 8700
It can still only be unlocked via codes from the carrier/database

Jaguarandine
05-18-2006, 02:04 PM
How do you know which one is reliable? There are so many different ones at different prices, that it's hard to know. Trustworthy places like bongowireless and gsmohonesource aren't doing this yet either. How was the method for unlocking the BlackBerry in this way discovered?

This is pretty much the main unlocking thread, but any newbies would be utterly confused. I think it should be stickied with something explaining how it works, and who are the available options. I don't think it would be a wasted effort. Just my opinion though.

henroc725
05-19-2006, 08:41 PM
I have an unlocked 7230 but it still won't recognize my Cingular sim card. The dude at cingular told me that I needed to get a new blackberry. Any suggestions?

KonTiki
05-20-2006, 07:17 PM
I have a few questions about unlocking. I own a Verizon 7250 and they do need to be unlocked so I have no experience doing this.

Now my problem and subsequent question, I picked up a Cingular 7290 that is locked to Cingular obviously. I obtained the unlock code for it. Now I do not have a SIM card so the questions are, do you need a SIM card in the device in order to apply the code, if so and i go to ebay to buy one, which kind do you buy? Does it matter if it is Cingular or T-MO, I see 3G cards, 64 mb, etc. Any help in this matter will be appreciated. I believe from an earlier post I have the procedure, that is why I am asking about the SIM.

.:hack3r2k:.
05-20-2006, 07:39 PM
I have a few questions about unlocking. I own a Verizon 7250 and they do need to be unlocked so I have no experience doing this.

Now my problem and subsequent question, I picked up a Cingular 7290 that is locked to Cingular obviously. I obtained the unlock code for it. Now I do not have a SIM card so the questions are, do you need a SIM card in the device in order to apply the code, if so and i go to ebay to buy one, which kind do you buy? Does it matter if it is Cingular or T-MO, I see 3G cards, 64 mb, etc. Any help in this matter will be appreciated. I believe from an earlier post I have the procedure, that is why I am asking about the SIM.

You dont need a SIM to get it unlocked. You simply go SETTINGS/SIM CARD. There you type MEPD and if typed properly the locks status will appear. AFter type MEP2 and enter code u got and press enter. See ur mail also. You account was empty maybe becuase readed 7290 allready. Added 2 more credits anyway.

For full tutorial u can look here :

ww w.bb-server.eu/index.php?page=news

Br;)

.:hack3r2k:.
05-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Is possible to unlock the 7100t without sim card?

Yes offcourse.

Br;)

PolishPanda
06-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Wait...

How are unlock numbers generated? How does your carrier provide it for you? I'm wondering because I want to buy a BB off eBay and get it unlocked.

Postalrecon
06-19-2006, 05:51 PM
sn00py - that is a load of crap. T-Mobile BlackBerrys work fine on Cingular and vice versa. The "tech guy" you spoke too is 100% incorrect.

NJBlackberry is right, i have an unlocked 8700g on cingular

csurfr
06-21-2006, 10:12 PM
I called Cing's International CS tonight, and within 5 minutes had the unlock code for my 8700c. Now to find an a decent carrier to buy time with when I go overseas. Any recommendations for Europe?

Thanks!

14pups
06-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Pray that your US carrier sim card never goes bad in Europe because it's a friggin nightmare to get a replacement.

The same can be said if your BB battery goes bad. BB customer service (from TMO anyway) is an oxymoron in GER at least.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS bring a spare battery and ALWAYS bring an extra provisioned sim card from your carrier with you before you head overseas..

TeckniX
07-29-2006, 12:15 AM
So I ve been reading a few post on the bb unlocking and it seems that many companies are now offering it -
Coming from the Nokia community, it is obvious that a similar IMEI calculator is used and simply provides an unlocking code -
What I dont get though, is how come no free downloadable software for unlocking the bb is available.
I mean obviously the owners of such software are wanting to keep it their own and still make money, but there is also a huge price difference between all of them - and surely all they do is take your $50, put your IMEI in their calculator software, copy and paste the unlock code and email that to you.

So what gives? How come nothing can be downloaded and enjoyed or shared by the community?

I just got my BB and this is already anoying me, compared to the support I usually get from all the Nokia guys.

Anyone care to chime and and enlighten me?

Spamdumpster
07-30-2006, 06:06 PM
I called Cing's International CS tonight, and within 5 minutes had the unlock code for my 8700c.

What's the number for Int'l CS? I heard a rumor (here or on pinstack) that, if you paid full price for your BB, they would unlock it. So I call Cingular and the woman with whom I stock told me that Cingular doesn't even have the capacity to unlock my phone -- they won't do it and can't do it. I tried to politely call BS on her, but she kept telling me the same thing.

So, what's the story? Will Cingular unlock my 7130c for me? I've been a customer (in good standing) for 10 months, but I only added the data plan about a month ago. Any advice?

binsted
08-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Pray that your US carrier sim card never goes bad in Europe because it's a friggin nightmare to get a replacement.

The same can be said if your BB battery goes bad. BB customer service (from TMO anyway) is an oxymoron in GER at least.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS bring a spare battery and ALWAYS bring an extra provisioned sim card from your carrier with you before you head overseas..
OK...so once the phone is unlocked and a SIM card is purchased in your destination country (i.e. orange for the UK), what functionality is kept/lost. For example, I do not get my email via BES, will my emails forwarded to my server still reach me via TCP?

Cheers

option94
08-07-2006, 04:45 PM
they sent me the unlock code for my 7130c. Took them 4 days to send it but they did.

carlogero
09-13-2006, 04:00 AM
hi how do i get the unlock code for BB 6210 locked to T-mobile just bought it?

regards,
carlogero

carlogero
09-13-2006, 04:24 AM
hi there,
i hav BB 6210 locked to T-Mobile can you help me?:???:

rgds,
carlogero

macgyvr64
09-21-2006, 11:52 PM

Do you (or anyone) know what BongoWireless does to unlock the phone? Do they have contacts at major wireless providers who will provide unlock codes?

As you can see by my post count, I'm new to the whole BackBerry scene. As a computer enthusiast, open-source advocate, and perpetual hardware tinkerer, the fact that information about unlocking is limited to an elite, entreprenurial few really irritates me. How is it that only a small few managed to gain access to the software and/or information, and are only willing to use it for ridiculous prices?

Enough ranting, though. What I'm really interested is the technical side of the unlocking process. It seems as though most unlocking companies only need the IMEI number to get your unlocking code. Are they calculating the unlock code, or simply accessing a huge table of codes somewhere (perhaps through a third party)?

I ask because I have a bunch of BlackBerries (legitimately acquired) that need to be unlocked, and paying anyothing over $5 each would be a waste of money for me.

There's got to be some way to do this. The device must have the number stored somewhere, otherwise it wouldn't be able to verify if you've properly entered the code. Although, it could just store a hash of the number, and we'd be totally out of luck on that front... Even so, could this hash be replaced by a pre-calculated hash of a known number? I really don't know how these things work internally, but I'm sure they have some sort of nonvolatile flash memory to store long-term information like the IMEI number, serial, etc.

white8785
10-11-2006, 03:50 AM

Personalization:
SIM Unknown
Network Unknown
Network Subset Unknown
Service Provider Unknown
Corporate Unknown

i'm wondering the same thing.

i've seen where some are saying since it's a nextel phone it doesn't need to be unlocked, why is that? i'm getting ready to sale my 7520 because i'm going to the 8703 so if unlocking would help sale then that's why i'm interested.

any help/info?

tinabeana
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to unlock a Verizon 7250 to work with Cingular?

I currently have a plan with cingular and someone gave me this phone and I would really like to use it but I'm confused about the whole iDEN thing.

wireless
10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to unlock a Verizon 7250 to work with Cingular?

I currently have a plan with cingular and someone gave me this phone and I would really like to use it but I'm confused about the whole iDEN thing.

Cingular uses GSM as their technology. Verizon uses CDMA. (Not even sure where IDEN came into conversation, that is solely NEXTEL). You cn not, in anyway use that phone with Cingular. Period, Sorry.

phungy
10-21-2006, 06:18 PM
^^lol.

stealths2k
10-23-2006, 05:16 PM
cheapest place I've found to unlock a BB is unlocktotalk.com
I know that my post count is 1, but I've been lurking the forums for awhile and I have a 7290 that I got unlocked from them. Cheapest way to do it is through a cable. Getting the actually code still seems to be expensive...Not sure why....since all they need is the IMEI. I've searched all over, and also have a few friends who work at cell phone stores and they say that BBs are harder to unlock....no idea why....

phungy
10-25-2006, 08:52 AM
^^I'll probably just unlock mine via T-Mobile.

hiisi
10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Hello,

I tried to unlock the bb 8700v , price $55.00. However, they were unable to unlock mine.
I paid and they say, "thank You" and good bye.

Unfortunatelly, i`m in trouble.
I bought BB 8700v in London, i live in Poland, i can`t unlock it.

Could You be helpful?
My email: hiisi@<hidden>

I dont know how to unlock it - where do I have to insert that unlock number - if You could help me and send it?

My bb IMEI I send via mail

Thanks
Peter

tommy5885
10-26-2006, 10:08 PM

THERE IS A SITE: cellularlocksmith.com where you can buy the software to unlock your blackberry and other brands of phones. i already purchased and unlocked 2 phones (Treo 650 and Blackberry 7230) using their software and have no problems. everything is normal on both phones. you can also find his softwares that he has posted on ebay for a few dollars cheaper (i paid 18.00 on ebay and his site its 21.99for the blackberry and the treo was 15.00 on ebay and his site 21.99) whatever is best for you all i know it beats paying 50.00-100.00. once you purchase the software you will receive it a few minutes to a few hours later via email with a user name and password and drivers if needed. this will solve all of everyones probs in here.

tommy5885
10-28-2006, 08:21 AM
T-mobile can't unlock another network's units and vice versa, they don't have access to the codes. Good luck finding one for under $250.00. You may be able to find one in that range with a new subscription or an upgrade (I'm not really sure how those work), but if you are buying it without the activation or contract, expect to pay a little less than double.

GO TO CELLULARLOCKSMITH.COM AND YOU CAN BUY THE SOFTWARE TO UNLOCK YOUR BLACKBERRY CELL PHONES FOR UNDER 25.00. I ALREADY PURCHASED 2 OF HIS SOFTWARES (1 FOR BLACKBERRY 7230 AND 1 FOR PALM TREO 650) AND IT WORKS GREAT NOW BOTH PHONES ARE UNLOCKED WITH NO PROBLEMS. THE SOFTWARE WORKS GREAT ON ANY GSM NETWORK.

fran_cortina
11-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Hello I,m A New User. I,m Spanish And I Do Not Speak English Very Well But I Try To Do It. Jajaj....well I Have 20 Bb 5820 (i Think....back I Can Read 900/1800 G-2/1-4) All From O2...
I Need To Unlock Its But Is An Old Model And Nobody Talk About
Somebody Can Help Me?

Darek Stanczuk
12-28-2006, 11:41 AM
pLEASE SEND MI UNLOCK CODES FOR BlackBerry 7290.
I GET IT FROM UK AND TRYING USE IT IN SOUTH AFRICA
DAREK

RoadRider
12-28-2006, 12:15 PM
Unlock codes are specific for each IMEI number. You will not find anyone that will just send you the code, even if you provide the IMEI from your phone. Unlock codes are sometimes available from your carrier (call and ask them) or can be purchased from one of the on-line unlock sevices like gsmphonesource.com.

driftoholic
01-02-2007, 12:23 AM
just got off the phone with a T-mo rep and found out that they unlock phones for free as a courtesy service, I was told that it might take up to 2 days for me to recieve the code.

NJBlackBerry
01-02-2007, 06:18 AM
As has been posted here literally dozens of times (or more), T-Mobile will unlock one of their phones IF you have been a customer in good standing for some period of time, and they will unlock one phone per number every 90 days.

hypermaster
01-20-2007, 02:19 AM
i have a tmobile UK, SIM locked & it say Network : Active (which means its locked) when i type MEP2 it says "0 tries left"... but i can enter the unlock code.
My question, can the no of tries be reset somehoe. it has o be done somehow, after all its all software related.
By loading new OS will it help?

even if i have just one try, i can enter the unlock code.

The funny thing is if it was fully locked, then it should say NETWORK : BLOCKED & not NETWORK : Active... is'nt that true??

Any help????

megloman
01-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Had Very positive results here

unlockingblackberry com

and they showed me how to remove my security policy so i can disable my password if i want to.
Hope this helps -

cobaltblue
01-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been living in Japan for the last 6 months, and although I love my Japanese 3G cell phone (GPS, video calling, 3 megapixle camera), I miss the full keyboard on the blackberry!!!

Anyway, I'm going to Hong Kong tomorrow, and since they're GSM, I'd like to use my BlackBerry. I'm still under contract with Cingular, and I assume if I call they'll give me the unlock code. My question is do I need to be in the US or in an area with service in order to unlock the phone? If I get the code, can I unlock it in Japan even though there's no GSM service?

Thanks,

Alex

Sith_Apprentice
02-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Although you can wait a couple months before calling, I usually call the day I get the device and I receive and email from Tmobile with the unlock code and instructions on how to unlock the device. I have also had success speaking with certain customer service reps with Cingular inlocking phones and other days devices when they do not come unlocked. The key is to tell them that you use the phone for business and that it is a necessity that you be able to use the Phone unlocked when you travel. If they give you a hard time simply, but kindly, point out that you are paying them for their service and that their job as customer service reps is to help you have the best experience possible.

Hello ... I heard that T-Mobile will unlock it pretty easly. You said that you are traveling over seas and you want ot use your phone. If you have had service for a few months they will unlock the device.

Vinnie

jrsmooth
02-13-2007, 09:21 AM
All you need is the unlock code. As a matter of fact, Cingular's unlock instruction mandate you to turn OFF the wireless before entering the unlock code.

Here is a sample email from Cingular:

----------------------

Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 8:11 AM
To: Me
Subject: Subsidy Unlock Code

Below is your subsidy unlock code along with your instructions. I do want
to advise that if you enter the wrong unlock code five times the phone is
permanently locked to Cingular. If you have any problems with entering the
unlock code feel free to contact us.

SIM Unlock request REVIEWED and APPROVED by Subsidy Unlock Group/ IMEI:
357647xxxxxxxxxx / SIM unlock is 7659066100243706

BlackBerry device running handheld software version 3.8/4.0

For the device to display the software version, select "Options" then
"About"

Step

Action

Insert Cingular SIM into device

Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY
IMPORTANT.

Select "Options"

Scroll down and select "SIM Card"

Type "MEPD"

Type "MEP2"

Enter the Unlock Code

Press enter

Reboot device. Device is now unlocked.
-------------------

Hi Everyone,

I've been living in Japan for the last 6 months, and although I love my Japanese 3G cell phone (GPS, video calling, 3 megapixle camera), I miss the full keyboard on the blackberry!!!

Anyway, I'm going to Hong Kong tomorrow, and since they're GSM, I'd like to use my BlackBerry. I'm still under contract with Cingular, and I assume if I call they'll give me the unlock code. My question is do I need to be in the US or in an area with service in order to unlock the phone? If I get the code, can I unlock it in Japan even though there's no GSM service?

Thanks,

Alex

megloman
03-11-2007, 11:50 AM
why not just go to unlockingblackberry,com and be done with it.
its simple code reader then you just enter your code in your bb once you retrieve it. Done in minutes. I see people on here asking for codes and people sharing their codes but folks this wont work, every bb has its own unique unlock code.
hope this helps -

rakishi
03-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Is there any other way to unblocked 7290 that had entered 10 times wrong codes? Thanks for the advise....

hiisi
03-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Hello,
I finaly manage to unlock BB.
In Poland - 130 USD,
UK 90 GBP
Italy 100 EUR
US 100 USD
That how the prices were.
I found user on eBay - nhat.khoa -
myworld.ebay.com/nhat.khoa
I`ve send 30 USD using PayPal to Vietnam. Within 24h I received -
1) unlocked code
2) information HowTo
3) moneyback guarantee - if sth is wrong (video evidence required)

Everything is just fine.

megloman
09-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Go here Unlock BlackBerry IMEI Unlocking (http://www.newmobilefreedom.com/blackberry-imei-unlock-p-99.html)
24/7 server. has worked for me every time.
Hope this helps -

zakupka
10-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I can Unlocked any GSM blackberry, PM if anybody needs help

sanjoychy
04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
today i got ablackberry 8700g .but it shows handheld is locked.
but previous user forget the code. pls help me how i unlocked
my phone.....................pls
advance thanx to all

SKPhoton
06-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I've been a customer with Cingular/AT&T for a while now and got an 8100 with them with the 2 year contract. Later I just called them up and asked them for the unlock code and they gave it to me. Easy as pie.

jackpot
06-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Can someone help? I got the unlock code from the carrier, after entering MEPD the device shows
SIM Disabled
Network Blocked
Network Subset Disabled
Service Provider Disabled
Corporate Disabled
I assume that the unlock code was entered incorrectly toooo many times because it doesn't do anything when I enter MEP2 (or MEPP2). The device was given to me. I can't get it to work with my SIM! Please Help!!!

jabhayaratne
09-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi

I have a unlocked bb7290. Sometimes I'm getting an error "Device Error 400".

If I install the software again to the phone do I have to unlock the phone again?

BryanHarig
09-26-2008, 12:33 AM
No you dont. you can reinstall the os as much as you need to.

vi3tb0i
11-15-2008, 10:11 AM
ahaha of course the code wont work ahaha

but im positively sure that if u call your Service provider ex. T-mobile At&T or whoever that they will just unlock your phone for FREE thats right FREE all you need to do is provide your IMEI number and give them some security info and they will email you an Unlock code with directions on how to unlock your phone trust me it will work i have done it before many times

Jarrod623
11-15-2008, 04:46 PM
wow lol, Unlock codes are unique to the IMEI of your device. Nice try put non of thoose codes you have will work for any of our phones.