PDA

View Full Version : Syncing calendar while preventing email access.

professorguy
03-25-2008, 02:19 PM
HIPAA requirements mean that no email may leave our hospital which has both patient identifying info and medical info. To prevent that, we do not allow any machine but our Exchange server to send or receive official hospital mail (it has special compliance-assurance software).

And because we have too few BBs on the floor to justify a BES, and having medical mail sent to or from an external, uncontrolled Blackberry Server is illegal, we will just disable mail on the BBs. But the users would still like to sync calendars, notes and contacts.

How can you sync a BB to the calendar, but also NOT sync the mail (in fact, NOT allow any access to mail). Specifically, I want to make sure a user who has his calendar synced absolutely CANNOT receive their internal email EVEN IF THEY WANT TO. That is, I want to prevent a user from getting or replying to some internal mail via an internet blackberry server which is a violation of federal law.

[I understand that with a web client and an appropriate web-based mail service, they could do an end-run, but that has been determined to be not my problem since that is personal mail and not hospital mail and also could never be accidentally triggered with a simple reply to internal mail.]

I admit that I do not own (nor do I have use for) a Blackberry. How would this work?