PDA

View Full Version : Some general 8830 questions

TheNx
03-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new to BB. I havent actually bought one yet, but planning to get the 8830 World edition. I had some questions that I hope someone can answer. My provider is Alltel.

1. How is the GPS system? Like how detailed is it?
2. How fast is the internet on it?
3. Can you use AIM on the BB?
4. Is it easy to put your own custom ringtones on the phone?
5. What's the maximum size memory card that can be used in it?
6. Is the internet through satellite? What I mean is if I don't get cell phone service can I still access the internet?

Thanks, this forum rocks!

TheNx
03-26-2008, 06:42 AM
bump

juwaack68
03-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Hey everyone! I'm new to BB. I havent actually bought one yet, but planning to get the 8830 World edition. I had some questions that I hope someone can answer. My provider is Alltel.

1. How is the GPS system? Like how detailed is it?
2. How fast is the internet on it?
3. Can you use AIM on the BB?
4. Is it easy to put your own custom ringtones on the phone?
5. What's the maximum size memory card that can be used in it?
6. Is the internet through satellite? What I mean is if I don't get cell phone service can I still access the internet?

Thanks, this forum rocks!

1. It depends on which application you use. I use both TeleNav and Google Maps depending on what I want. TeleNav is a subscription service and provides great audio & visual directions, as well as maps. However, I've found Google Maps (free) better if I just want to do a quick search for something and don't need the audio.

2. AllTel is CDMA device (faster than, say, AT&T or T-Mobile), and surfing is pretty fast, depending on what type of page you're loading and the strength of your wirless signal.

3. Yes.

4. Not sure about this. I've downloaded several from TuneUsIn - Free MP3 Ringtones, Blackberry Wallpaper, Blackberry Themes - For Your Blackberry or Mobile Phone (http://www.tuneusin.com/mobile)

5. 4G for your device's OS.

6. The internet is thru your carrier's network. So no signal = no internet (or email/phone, either).

Welcome to the forums!

voyager9355
03-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Good morning!

Regarding ringtones...I have an 8820 with an SD card in it. Ripped some tunes off of some CDs onto my PC...put them on the SD card & set them as my ringtone/other notifiers. Pretty simple!

TheNx
03-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

More about the GPS. I have the service that comes with the phone (I dont have the phone YET but when i get it it will have that on it) How is the service that comes with the GPS?

Is AIM on bb free? I'm wanting to leave my AIM logged on while im away from home and still be able to answer messages when people want to talk to me.

djm2
03-26-2008, 09:35 AM
If you want to do a lot of IM work, I suspect that you will want to purchase Jive Talk. I leave mine on almost all of the time.

TheNx
03-26-2008, 03:56 PM
If you want to do a lot of IM work, I suspect that you will want to purchase Jive Talk. I leave mine on almost all of the time.

So JiveTalk is good? I saw it's 20 bucks (not that its a bad deal), but is there any free program that allows you to have AIM, MSN and Yahoo online on the BB?

djm2
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
So JiveTalk is good? I saw it's 20 bucks (not that its a bad deal), but is there any free program that allows you to have AIM, MSN and Yahoo online on the BB?

Get the $30 version so you can swap to a new BB in the future.

Some people swear by some freebie versions; I don't know what they are. They will probably chime in before too long, or you could search in the Aftermarket software forum.

CotaMark
03-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Get the $30 version so you can swap to a new BB in the future.

Some people swear by some freebie versions; I don't know what they are. They will probably chime in before too long, or you could search in the Aftermarket software forum.

Agreed, get the $30. I have it and it's pretty much amazing. Basically no difference between that and a standard IM app on your computer. YOu can customize to look like aim on a pc or ichat on a mac.

dope