PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with BIS Filters

chrishuey
03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Excuse me if this has been asked before, I searched but couldn't find it. If there is already a thread, could someone point me in the right direction?

I recently added my work email account to my cell phone. However, I don't need to receive every email - just from a select group of people, marked as level 1 message.

I tried going through T-Mobile's BIS set up, but I was unable to achieve this. What I'm looking to do is create a filter that says do not deliver emails to this device, unless it is from this or that person. All I can do is create a filter that says do not deliver emails.

Does anyone know a way to work the filters? It seems like BIS can only do primary filters, no secondary ones with the 'unless' part of the logic included. Am I missing something and is there a way to accomplish this, or is am I simply SOL on this one.

What I have devised is a gmail address that I can forward the emails from specific people to, which will then be delivered to my email address. The problem is, it'll be a pain to respond using the right address and the quoted email will be all messed up - plus I can't see in the regular messages view who the email is from, simply that I have an email. Failing the proper way with filters via BIS, is there a better way of doing this than the one I have just outlined?

Thanks for any help, it's appreciated!

jrusch
03-27-2008, 07:06 AM
How are you getting your work email sent to your BlackBerry?

I have an 8830 with BIS. I have four personal email address being sent to my BB. I use my BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.uscellular.blackberry.com/) page to create filters for them. At the bottom of the filter page is a choice for when no filters apply to either send or not send. I have mine sent and use filters to keep unwanted emails from being forwarded.

For my work email I use Outlook and Exchange. On my desktop at work I install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software. I installed it with the BES option for Desktop Redirector. Then using the "Email Settings" in Desktop Manager, I'm able to create filters for my work email.

option94
03-27-2008, 07:20 AM
If the filter is set to "do not deliver emails" you'll still get the emails to your account, but not on the Berry.

Klotar
03-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Probably the best way to think about it is to look at BIS filters as the opposite of what one usually does for filtering spam.

With spam, usually one wants to stop spam using filters but allow everything else through. Most of us all know how to do this.

However, what you want to do is the opposite. You want to allow mail through from certain addresses and stop everything else (if I understand the problem correctly). BIS filters can do this.

jrusch has given it to you; say you want all mail from joe@<hidden> and jane@<hidden> but don't want mail from anyone else.

Set up a filter for joe@<hidden>, set it as level 1 if desired and set it to forward to the handheld. Do the same for jane@<hidden>.

After you have set up all your desired filters, set the final filter "when no other filters apply" as Do NOT send to handheld.

Now, if you get mail from joe@<hidden>, it will get set as level 1 and sent to you phone. Same with jane@<hidden>. However, if you get mail from bob@<hidden> or sally@<hidden>, they will not get sent to your phone.

It's kind of a different way of thinking, but makes sense as to how it works once you think about it.

chrishuey
03-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Klotar, that did it! Thanks!

Klotar
03-27-2008, 08:03 AM
That's great news!

Also, once you have the basic filters set up, you can even take it one step further.

Email from bob is filtered out from coming to the phone by virtue that he isn't specifically set to do so. But suppose you want all emails that have a subject of "monthly sales report". You can set up a filter for that by specifying that for the subject instead of the address as the criteria. Then you won't get mail from bob unless his mail has "monthly sales report" in the subject.

However, if you REALLY hate bob and don't want to hear from him ever on your BB, then set up a filter for bob@<hidden> where email from him is specifically not sent to your phone (using Do Not Forward To Handheld).