PDA

View Full Version : How to Copy BB Messenger messages to another handheld?

quresro
03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
I am running OS 4.2 on a Curve 8310. The trackball has failed and I am currently setting up a replacement handheld (same model and OS version).

I tried the following to copy the Blackberry Messenger messages to the new handheld, but was unsuccessful: Back up old handheld in Desktop Manager. Due to externally-imposed limitations, I was unable to do a Restore (of everything) to the new one, but I was able to go into Advanced and copy the "Blackberry Messenger" entries to the new handheld. Unfortunately, this did not transfer the messages over.

How can I transfer my Blackberry Messenger messages to the new handheld given that I cannot do a complete restore? Which (if any) of the databases in the backup contains these messages? FWIW, I am running the handheld on a BES 4.0.5 server.

TIA,
roshan

crackberry.addict
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
it's not possible. Simple as that.

sorry buddy.

VirexInc
03-27-2008, 10:51 PM

sorry buddy.

you would think it would be possible though. i mean when a conversation is open in bb messenger it shows in the open conversation in the messages folder. so that means it must be locally stored in the RMS database or content store, but it appears its set as a temporary store kinda like a paging file. so basically anytime the system is "reflashed" those files are deleted. :?

quresro
03-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Does any one know if a (complete) backup and restore would transfer the messages or not?

Sith_Apprentice
03-28-2008, 10:55 AM
you can try to copy the history and paste it but i think this requires a trackball to use

crackberry.addict
03-28-2008, 02:55 PM
you can try to copy the history and paste it but i think this requires a trackball to use

you'd be able to copy the conversation but it wouldn't show who sent what.

a back up and restore will not save up the conversations unfortunately. the only real way to "save" the conversation is to take a program that takes screen shots of your phone, and just start taking pictures of every part of the conversation and saving them as jpegs on your computer.

quresro
03-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the ideas, guys. It seems strange that BB Messenger data stored on one device cannot be somehow transferred to another, especially as Desktop Manager transfers pretty much everything else, but that seems to be the way it is.

Thanks again for the quick replies & clever suggestions.

rosahn

VirexInc
03-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the ideas, guys. It seems strange that BB Messenger data stored on one device cannot be somehow transferred to another, especially as Desktop Manager transfers pretty much everything else, but that seems to be the way it is.

Thanks again for the quick replies & clever suggestions.

rosahn

either way why not email RIM and ask them to make it that the convos get saved in a backup 8-)

suggestions@<hidden> USE IT WISELY ;-)

ricpac
03-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Why not copy the transcript, then send it via email?

VirexInc
03-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Why not copy the transcript, then send it via email?

bc he wants it back on his device in the bb messenger program

ricpac
03-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Not possible like what all the others have said.
Case closed. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Good luck on the replacement 8310!

VirexInc
03-29-2008, 02:37 AM

i thought it was case closed when i said it couldnt be done in my former post :shock:

crackberry.addict
03-29-2008, 07:16 AM
i thought it was case closed when i said it couldnt be done in my former post :shock:

ummmm

sorry buddy.

i said it first :-P

ricpac
03-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Yup, you said it first.
Was just reinforcing.
Thanks!

VirexInc
03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Yup, you said it first.
Was just reinforcing.
Thanks!

well then technically u said it 3rd. so i was reinforcing the initial and you were reinforcing the already reinforced