PDA

View Full Version : blackberry messenger

eve@williamgoldberg.com
03-27-2008, 03:52 PM
i keep trying to add contacts to blackberry messenger and they stay at "pending". what am i doing wrong?

eve@williamgoldberg.com
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
this is the message i get: <$RemoveOnDelivery,SuppressSaveInSentItems> BLACKBERRYMESSENGERINVITESTAGE2

crackberry.addict
03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
how are you adding people?

you can only add via 1 of 2 ways.

1) pin # of device
2) blackberry.net email address (att.blackberry.net | tmo.blackberry.net | etc)

if you're trying to add them via an actual email addres (user@<hidden>), you'll get that error message back in your email.

ezrunner
03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (blackjack IV)

Or they haven't accepted the invitation yet

bb-mike
03-27-2008, 04:02 PM
There is some serious problems trying to add people to BBM via e-mail. I used to do it all the time and it worked great - now it doesn't work at all.

I have found the only way to do it successfully is to do it by PIN.

eykhong
03-27-2008, 04:45 PM
There is some serious problems trying to add people to BBM via e-mail. I used to do it all the time and it worked great - now it doesn't work at all.

I have found the only way to do it successfully is to do it by PIN.

I agree. Adding people to BB Messenger via email is pretty sketchy. I have sent out requests that never seem to make it to the requestee.

ezrunner
03-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (blackjack IV)

I always use pin much easier

VirexInc
03-27-2008, 11:10 PM
if you're trying to add them via an actual email addres (user@<hidden>), you'll get that error message back in your email.

actually i have added someone through a gmail account and it worked, but i def prefer using PIN instead.

Sith_Apprentice
03-27-2008, 11:19 PM
its any email address currently linked to the BB, that is NOT forwarded by Redirector.

VirexInc
03-28-2008, 12:02 AM
its any email address currently linked to the BB, that is NOT forwarded by Redirector.

you took the words right out of my mouth 8-)

crackberry.addict
03-28-2008, 07:18 AM

no shit?

every time i've ever tried to add via a non bb.net email address, i'd get errors up the ying yang.

oh well, i won't test the theory, i'll only add via pin lol

Dawg
03-28-2008, 07:21 AM
no shit?

every time i've ever tried to add via a non bb.net email address, i'd get errors up the ying yang.

oh well, i won't test the theory, i'll only add via pin lol
I always add via PIN and I usually dont have an issue that way. The few that I have tried to add via email always get fouled up.

bb-mike
03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
The frustrating thing is it used to work via e-mail just fine.

I disagree PIN is easier. Most people have everyone's e-mail in their address book. They don't have other people's PIN very often. Ask any of the sales people in our office what their phone's PIN is and you will get a blank stare back. A lot of newby users don't even know how to look up their phone's PIN.

Dawg
03-28-2008, 04:55 PM
The frustrating thing is it used to work via e-mail just fine.

I disagree PIN is easier. Most people have everyone's e-mail in their address book. They don't have other people's PIN very often. Ask any of the sales people in our office what their phone's PIN is and you will get a blank stare back. A lot of newby users don't even know how to look up their phone's PIN.

Then thats a failure to know their device. So I stand by my statement that PIN is always best. all they have to do is look in status and its right there for them.

VirexInc
03-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Then thats a failure to know their device. So I stand by my statement that PIN is always best. all they have to do is look in status and its right there for them.

yea because emails can change. or at they could add or change the email service books on their device. the PIN however doesnt ever change unless you get a new device.

bb-mike
03-30-2008, 08:24 PM

A failure for them knowing their device or a failure of RIM to explain to new users what a PIN is and to make it more user-friendly to use for the non-techy?

I agree that if you know how, it's not hard to use a PIN. However, look how many questions are on these forums about BB Messenger and how it works or how to even add people via PIN. I don't think it's a user failure, I think it's a RIM failure. They could do a lot more on this front for the less savvy users.

Dawg
03-31-2008, 06:39 AM
With the information that is out there. I disagree with it being a RIM issue. People fail to research is the reason for so many questions. Its easier for people to be spoon fed than to do it themselves. I had never used a BB before when I bought my first 6510 for Nextel, it didn't come with a manual as i bought it second hand. This was the first place I discovered. I didn't come in asking a bunch of questions.

I started reading and learning and using the search feature. If I couldn't figure it out after several hours I then asked.
The problem is that RIM has made it a more consumer friendly device and easier to get. So you are getting people who don't have a clue what a powerful device they have. They buy it because they think its cool. Now this is just my opinion.

rDeuce
03-31-2008, 08:40 AM
how are you adding people?

you can only add via 1 of 2 ways.

1) pin # of device
2) blackberry.net email address (att.blackberry.net | tmo.blackberry.net | etc)

I can add people with a regular email address...8-)

Dawg
03-31-2008, 11:25 AM
I can add people with a regular email address...8-)
So can I