PDA

View Full Version : Tore LCD ribbon :(

sublimee
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
I dropped my Blackberry in milk this morning so as I was removing the screen I tore the LCD ribbon so I guess this means the screen won't work? Is there any way you can just replace the ribbon and not the screen?

ezrunner
03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (blackjack IV)

I doubt it! Would need the correct ribbon and some good skill! Better of buying new lcd

John Clark
03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Not that I'm aware of. However, contact HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center ß (http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com) (BBF member ShapelessBB) I'm sure he can help you out.

sublimee
03-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks! Also...since I dropped it in milk and not water like most people, does putting it in distilled water get rid of the milk or no?

ezrunner
03-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Wow JC

I was just coming back to recommend them

Fast man

ezrunner
03-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Thanks! Also...since I dropped it in milk and not water like most people, does putting it in distilled water get rid of the milk or no?

Distilled water would do just that!

Remember generally after that you would need to "bake" to ensure all moisture is gone

John Clark
03-27-2008, 06:01 PM
If you have it apart, a few days to let dry would likely be sufficent (maybe even less.) The LCD and keyboard are what take a while to dry and will kill the device if wet and energized.

However, I would say, you dropped it in milk and then tore the ribbon for the lcd. The lcd's run around $50-$60. You may be better off just finding a new/used device. What if you spend the money on a new lcd only to find the device is fried from the milk?

sublimee
03-27-2008, 09:15 PM

Distilled water would do just that!

Remember generally after that you would need to "bake" to ensure all moisture is gone

Oh yay! When I took it out of the bowl of distilled water there was all this crap in there..nasty. It is baking as I type!

If you have it apart, a few days to let dry would likely be sufficent (maybe even less.) The LCD and keyboard are what take a while to dry and will kill the device if wet and energized.

However, I would say, you dropped it in milk and then tore the ribbon for the lcd. The lcd's run around $50-$60. You may be better off just finding a new/used device. What if you spend the money on a new lcd only to find the device is fried from the milk?

Yeah that's what I was thinking..if the ribbon's torn in half does that mean the screen will be completely black?

GotGadgets
03-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Depends which connections in the cable are actually broken, but odds are yes, completely black. May light up white if the power circuit wasnt damaged. If you are thinking of firing it up to see what happens though, you may do damage that way... if it hasnt already been done that is.