PDA

View Full Version : MMS on 7100t w/ 4.0.2

jibi
07-20-2005, 10:15 PM
I *may* be getting a little too excited right now, but here goes... For quite some time, we've known the 7100 to have MMS support, although no one has ever quite found out how to enable it. There has always been a COD file loaded the the handheld for MMS, but I personally never saw any options for MMS and a BlackBerry aside from the BES option to disable the functionality.

With that said, I completely wiped my handheld and reinstalled OS 4.0.2 w/o restoring any data (see below for instructions).

- Verify in Add/Remove Programs that 'BlackBerry v4.0.2 for the 7100 Series Wireless Handheld' is installed on your machine
- Connect your handheld to your Desktop/Laptop
- Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager
* Double-click on Backup and Restore
* Click on Backup and save the file to a safe location
* Click on Close
- Double-click on Application Loader
- Click on Next
- Click on Next (the selected applications should be what you have now; leave these, as the loader will use these same options to reload the OS software)
- Click on Advanced
- Select 'Erase all currently installed applications'; click Next
- Select 'Do not automatically back up and restore the handheld application data during the loading process'; click Next
- Click Finish

This will obviously remove ALL settings, data and 3rd party applications, so be careful of this.

After it came back online, I went into Settings/Options and I now have MMS as an option. I do not remember that option there before.

The options are as follows:

Multimedia Reception: Always
Automatic Retrieval: Home Only
Automatic Retrieval Limit: No Limit

Notifications:
Allow Delivery Notification (selected)
Allow Read Notification (selected)
Request Delivery Notification
Request Read Notification

Message Filtering:
Reject Anonymous Messages
Reject Advertisements

I now also have the option for Compose MMS in Messages. Very nice! (y)

Anyone else seeing this, or am I just lucky to have stumbled on it? I'm thinking there are some issues with upgrading versus a completely fresh installation of 4.0 to 4.0.2.

jibi
07-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Well, now a drawback. When I try to send an MMS, it says "No MMS Service Record, message cannot be sent. You will only be able to Save Draft."

Oh well. Its a start.

redtruk
07-20-2005, 10:39 PM
I did a "register now" thru the host routing table setting a got an MMS service book updated into my list of service books.
I went into my picture album and found that I could send the pictures that I had downloaded onto it to other people. i get the "send as mms" option in the drop down menu.
I tried it and sent a picture to my wife's phone and it work!!!! YEAH!!!!!!

thriller
07-20-2005, 10:45 PM
wow this is breakthrough, why not enable it by default have to go through all of this. So my question is not a stupid one but with this work for all the 4.0 for rogers ?

redtruk
07-20-2005, 11:11 PM
i don't see any reason that your roger's bberry can't do the same. Although the MMS service book might be carrier dependent. I'm on T-Mo USA and it's working

Soapm
07-20-2005, 11:18 PM
I have it on my 7290 also. Progress!

jibi
07-20-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm guessing they just enabled the service book tonight, then...? I don't know. Oh well, good to hear others are getting it as well.

:-)

*Edit: I just rebooted my handheld and now everything is gone... hmm.

AgouraCAGuy
07-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Bingo!!

Just went to Host Routing table and registered. Thats it and it works!

pharma1
07-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Same here. Did nothing other than go to Host Routing Table and click Register Now. Man I love this site.

chapaj
07-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Cool this worked. I was able to email myself a MIDI file, and it gave me the option of saving as ringtone. I'm going to try an ADP file soon.

chapaj
07-21-2005, 10:23 AM
I got an attachment dropped error when sending an ADP. :(

Grammer
07-21-2005, 11:32 AM
All right, I have the MMS working after a new register, but I was wondering where the MMS charges would apply? Would they be purely data, or would they apply as something else?

jibi
07-21-2005, 01:06 PM
okay, someone post up which HRT they are registering to in order to get the MMS on there. I have registered and registered, but I'm not getting the option anymore (since it went away)... :-/

redtruk
07-21-2005, 01:09 PM
I was able to to choose the first one on the list in the HRT.

jibi
07-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Nevermind. I think my IT Policy screwed with it. I disabled it and now I've got the option. :-)

redtruk
07-21-2005, 01:24 PM
(y) Sweet!

Soapm
07-21-2005, 04:44 PM
You guys just getting on option not a service book, correct?

redtruk
07-21-2005, 05:18 PM
It is an option, but we also have a service book. My service book says
MMS Config [WAP]

camerch
07-21-2005, 06:31 PM
It is an option, but we also have a service book. My service book says
MMS Config [WAP]

That's what it should say because MMS is data and runs through your carriers WAP Tunnel. Also it doesn't matter which HRT you select it's just a tower, register now re-downloads your carriers PLMN (Tower Listing)...

jibi
07-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Now who wants to contact TMO to find out if they are charging us for this new feature? :-)

jibi
07-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Now who wants to contact TMO to find out if they are charging us for this new feature? :-)
nm. it looks like they are charged as an SMS message. i'm looking at my current unbilled minutes for messaging services, and it appears (although the time is off 3 hours) that the only message that shows up that looks like the MMS was received at that time.

...someone may want to verify though. my SMS messages are also now showing up as MMS messages as far as the icon is concerned (the ones sent to my tmomail.net address).

Soapm
07-21-2005, 08:19 PM
got it, I was looking for a service book ending with [MMS] but I do have the MMS config [wap]. Now I guess I should get a SMS plan before i blow my budget...

Soapm
07-21-2005, 08:34 PM
How do I send a picture to myself and distinguish it as MMS as opposed to SMS? I want to make a gif file my wallpaper...

redtruk
07-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Your messages menu should give the option to "compose mms".

Received MMS messages have a little box with an arrow in it for you to know it's an MMS

Soapm
07-21-2005, 08:43 PM
How can I send a picture from my puter using mynumber@<hidden>? That's what I'm trying to do. How do I make it MMS and not SMS?

redtruk
07-21-2005, 08:47 PM
send to your 10digitnumber@<hidden> address and just add the picture as an attachment. It worked for me

idealist
07-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks you guys! Did exactly as you said and now I can email pics. Will this work in forwarding emails with pics attached to them?

Soapm
07-21-2005, 09:04 PM
I'll have to play with it, it's not working for me. Could it be that I don't have a MMS or SMS plan?

jibi
07-21-2005, 09:16 PM
probably your IT Policy at work :razz:

(but seriously, the policies I had enabled for my phone had NOTHING to do with MMS or SMS, so I'm not sure what was disabling it for me)

bjallen2880
07-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Looks like it might only work with the very latest firmware version too. I had one peer attempt to register the Host Routing Table and it would not show up, but after updating the handheld it downloaded.

Not sure if this is fact yet, still have some testing to do.

Pylon
07-22-2005, 09:41 AM
I tried this on my 7100t and it worked, but the MMS menu in the setting did not come up right away. Once I went into my messages and tried to compose, the Compose MMS option cameup. Then it was in my Settings list as well.

BoehT
07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
*Edit: I just rebooted my handheld and now everything is gone... hmm.

i rebooted too, and everything vanished.

then i reregistered on HRT, and now its back!

wonderful!

BoehT
07-22-2005, 12:18 PM
when i send an MMS to myself, i get an SMS from tmobile saying that i have to go to the tmobile pictures website to view the pic.

how do i get the MMS to be sent directly to me?

redtruk
07-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Try sending it to a seperate email address first, then after that goes thru send one to your own phone number

camerch
07-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Do a Rgister Now in Options | Host Routing Table

BoehT
07-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Try sending it to a seperate email address first, then after that goes thru send one to your own phone number

that worked perfectly! thanks!

Soapm
07-22-2005, 04:31 PM
probably your IT Policy at work :razz:

(but seriously, the policies I had enabled for my phone had NOTHING to do with MMS or SMS, so I'm not sure what was disabling it for me)

Sick sense of humor (y) It took a while but I got the joke... I gave up on the MMS cuz you're right, it just isn't that important ;-)

Soapm
07-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I had time to fiddle and made a break through, I can receive and add a JPG file to my library if I send it through one of my BWC/BIS accounts. I got my picture of MLK as my wallpaper. Thanks...

HouckLaw
07-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Sorry, but could someone explain what MMS stands for - what it does - and the advantages of using it? :oops:

camerch
07-23-2005, 01:25 PM
multimedia messaging service - MMS - The ability to send messages consisting of a combination of text, sounds, images, and video to MMS-capable handsets.

HouckLaw
07-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks. Now I will have to figure out how I can use it to send myself .jpg files.

speedsk8berry
07-25-2005, 03:47 PM
I know MMS is a vanity option added on but it is a nice feture it will make it more of a choice to non-corperate user wich means more 3rd party applications possibly coming around the horizon cause the phone whould be come slightly more popular cause it is finally showing feature current phone have the 7100 series has been one of there fastest "evolving" (is that the right word not sure but it fits) device from having Voice quility ringtones and now finally native MMS suport instead of having to run it through email off your computer. but it does seem to after the upgrade have a few bluetooth bugs still and the reset problem is still there not as bad i think the reset problem has something to do with the suretype cause it only appears on my unit when i type faster than the unit can display it will reset and i have crashed and returrned 3 of these units till i just started using javaloader to fix my problems, but my question is will the 7100 getting MMS hinder its stabilty and security or does this feature addition possibly mean the addition of a camera to a later model of the 7100 series. which would be intresting but i don't know if it would be all that of a great idea at this current time. I would suggest they make this unit just a hair more stable before making additions. don't get me wrong mms is showing a promising advance putting them more in to the cellphone market not just the webclient/pda market. i have been seeing more blackberry wich is a nice thing.

cme100
08-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi!

I've got a 7100v (vodafone).
I've upgraded to new OS. Can't send or receive any MMS.
I've tried to re-register HRT... nothing... i contact vodafone contact center and they just told me that MMS is not supported in BB 7100v! (vodafone in this country really sucks! (n) :x )

When try to send an MMS allways appears a red X opening the message I can read "Failed to send message".
When receiving (yes, I try to send one MMS from another mobile phone to BB) I receive the message but when opening it says "Could not retrieve message content. Try again later." and
"*** Not Retrieved Yet ***
Estimated download size = 9K
Expires: Aug 24, 2005 20:49"

If I press the track wheel I've got the option to "Retrieve Now" but when retrieving message appears "Could not retrieve message content." :sad:

In Service Book I just got this related to MMS "WAP MMS Transport [WAP]"

Any ideias?
Thank you. :smile:

jibi
08-23-2005, 02:00 PM
sounds like something vodafone is doing. heck, they even allow a service book to be pushed down, so i would imagine they have, at the very least, provisioned it on the network. i'd just wait a bit or keep calling into their customer support. if they don't support MMS for the 7100v, why are they sending you a service book for it? its coming from their network not RIM's. i'd mention that to them. perhaps they haven't yet rolled it out, or will be rolling it out to the public when they release 4.0.2.

dyzs
08-26-2005, 01:18 AM
sounds like something vodafone is doing. heck, they even allow a service book to be pushed down, so i would imagine they have, at the very least, provisioned it on the network. i'd just wait a bit or keep calling into their customer support. if they don't support MMS for the 7100v, why are they sending you a service book for it? its coming from their network not RIM's. i'd mention that to them. perhaps they haven't yet rolled it out, or will be rolling it out to the public when they release 4.0.2.

The MMS APN may need to be added to his SIM's profile. Call voda customer care/tech support.

cme100
08-26-2005, 02:21 AM
The MMS APN may need to be added to his SIM's profile. Call voda customer care/tech support.

voda customer care/tech support keeps saying that BB's doesn't support MMS!

codyman
08-26-2005, 11:00 AM
I tried to send an mms e-mail (I'm on t-mo, 7100t and just upgrade to 4.02) to my wife's phone, my corp e-mail account and my hotmail account. I looked like it got sent but it did not get delivered anywhere. Any ideas?

p.s. Since the upgrade I do have a compose mms option in messages. I did a push of the service books to my phone after the upgrade.

dyzs
08-26-2005, 11:03 AM

Generally, every carrier uses a different APN for each application. WAP = wap.carrier.com, internet = internet.carrier.com, MMS = mms.carrier.com, etc. You need to ask voda if they have separate APN's and then to provision your profile to give you access to this APN, unless it's still in the testing phase. This would explain the availability of the service books and your being blocked from sending.

codyman
08-26-2005, 10:52 PM
I think I solved my problem. I was in Canada the last couple of day roaming on the Rogers Wireless network. When I got home I was checking out my MMS options and noticed it was set to home system only. So, I expect I couldn't get it to work from Canada as I was roaming.

tinkerhell
08-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Now aren't you the poster who wasn't getting the MMS legacy messages from vodafone, and I suggested you call vodafone and deactivate the MMS feature on your account? If you get legacy messages when someone sends you an MMS, then MMS isn't enabled on your account. And we know they can enable your account for MMS regardless of whether they reckon the device will work for them or not.

glennjr15
08-31-2005, 12:00 AM
Followed directions, but can't get MMS to show up... Firmware v4.0.2.32

jibi
08-31-2005, 08:10 AM
assuming you're on TMO, did you do the Host Routing Table registration?

glennjr15
08-31-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm in the U.S., and have T-Mobile as my carrier. I did the Host Routing Table registration, and it says "Registration message sent!", but nothing else happens. I don't have internet on my phone, but do have T-Zones on my account. (from when I had T68I)

gLeNn

jibi
09-01-2005, 03:35 AM
do you have a BlackBerry data plan? if not, then you won't get it. the functionality is delivered via a BlackBerry service book. no BlackBerry plan equals no MMS.

glennjr15
09-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Ah, ok. That must be why. (I guess). I thought I had seen compose MMS on my phone before, though. Even though the HRT request wouldn't work, shouldn't the Compose MMS option show up after I followed the entire wipe of the apps/reload?

Thanks anyway,

gLeNn

TimW
09-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Is this something that is restricted to BES users?

So far, knock on wood, I've had NO problems with the old 4.0 OS and am hesitant to upgrade to 4.0.2 to fix issues I don't have.

I haven't done the wipe-out thing, since I am lazy and don't want to reinstall 411Berry and the 2 other non-standard programs. :)

jibi
09-06-2005, 02:26 PM
glennjr15, as i stated, the option is enabled via service book from the carrier. this is a blackberry-specific service book. if you do not have a blackberry data plan, then the service book will not be sent. simple as that, to be honest.

TimW, the BES administrator does have the option to disable MMS.

Specifies whether Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) is permitted on the handheld.

If this rule is set to TRUE, the functionality is hidden from users.

This rule applies only to BlackBerry handheld models 7100 and 7290.

In the absence of this rule, a default value of "FALSE" will be used.

This rule applies only to Java-enabled handhelds versioned 4.0.2 and higher.

Jay2
09-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Just to let any U.K. guys know; I've it working with a 7290 on O2 in the U.K., upgrade to a U.S. networks' OS 4.0.2.xx to get it and O2 will send out the Service Book.

xombi
09-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Just to let any U.K. guys know; I've it working with a 7290 on O2 in the U.K., upgrade to a U.S. networks' OS 4.0.2.xx to get it and O2 will send out the Service Book.

Interesting to know is that both sending and receiving?

Also does anyone know if TM in the UK support it, I know Voda don't as I have tried it! :(

Krubs
04-27-2006, 03:22 PM
glennjr15, as i stated, the option is enabled via service book from the carrier. this is a blackberry-specific service book. if you do not have a blackberry data plan, then the service book will not be sent. simple as that, to be honest.

So thatīs why i cant send any mm in my 7290. I didnt think that was the reason. Thereīs no logic in it. MMS, should be available without a bb data plan! (n)

It really sucks, because vodafone here in portugal does not allow "prepaid" (dont know how to call it...itīs the plan where you charge your phone number trough the bank) sim cards to have a BB data plan activated! (n) (n) (n) I would have to change to a signature plan (a plan that you pay in the end of the month by the minute).