PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Spill

ahc11
03-31-2008, 09:55 AM
My gf spilled coffee into her bb pearl and the Trackball Button stopped working. the trackball does move up/down/left/right but when we push the ball in, nothing.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

When i pull up the trackball out, i see a bronze colored bubble (http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/reddog187/BB8100%20Trackball%20disassembly/DSCF0208.jpg) which seems to be the contact for the trackball press. this is what doesnt work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

i did the following to try to salvage it:

1. Took Battery out immediately
2. Rinsed with distilled water.
3. Shaked Dry
4. Used Warm (not hot) air - from blow dryer
5. Packed in bag of rice
6. Let sit on top of cable box for 5 hours

ezrunner
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (blackberry 950)

Change 5 hours to several days!

John Clark
03-31-2008, 10:48 AM
^^ What EZ said.

The coffee likely corroded the contact inside. If you can carefully pry it up and clean it underneath you may be able to salvage it.

option94
03-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Rubbing alcohol should be used to clean the corrosion. I've read that distilled water is ok, but I dont like it.

ahc11
03-31-2008, 03:53 PM
^^ What EZ said.

The coffee likely corroded the contact inside. If you can carefully pry it up and clean it underneath you may be able to salvage it.

Do you have any suggestions for the best way to pry it up?

duckworth
03-31-2008, 03:57 PM
^^ What EZ said.

Does the whole button actually come off the board? I am looking at mine and it is hard to tell if the top plastic would pry up or not. Anyone have an old broken one as a guinea pig?

akosnitzky
03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Pardon me if this was addressed, but what about insurance?

ahc11
03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Pardon me if this was addressed, but what about insurance?

i was wondering this as well... she has the 5.99/month insurance. does it cover spills? the language says:

Total Equipment Coverage offers complete protection for your wireless equipment. It combines the benefits of Wireless Phone Protection (offered by a third-party licensed insurance provider) with the discounted Verizon Wireless Extended Warranty program. If your phone or covered accessories are inoperable for any reason-lost, stolen, accidentally damaged, or malfunctioning-you can be covered. Cost is $5.99 monthly per phone with a $50 non-refundable deductible for each insurance related claim.