PDA

View Full Version : Google Map 2.0.3 Freezes Blackberry

kirtnc
03-31-2008, 06:31 PM
I have a 8703e and was prompted to update Google Map to 2.0.3 a couple of weeks ago. It used to work great but now freezes the Blackberry or just doesn't work. There are message on Google forum about others having a similar problem, but no fixes. Only reco is to download to earlier version of Google map. Anyone know how to fix 2.0.3 or download earlier version?

MrKyoo
03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
There is a link to an earlier version in this thread - http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-mapping/107012-google-maps-2-0-x.html?highlight=Google+Maps

hudres
03-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I think that you have the wrong version. As far as I know, with Verizon, you cannot use versions above 2.0.1. You may have been able to get it to workl but eventually you hit a bug and now you are frozen.

Remove the existing version using the desktop manager. Then do a battery pull reset. Then download the correct version from Google. Make sure that it is the correct version. It is not the one on the main page.

akosnitzky
04-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

If that does not work, make sure you use the stand alone download as opposed to the any of the aggregates it may have. I have found that to make a difference when I was using earlier bb models.

kirtnc
04-01-2008, 09:19 PM
So I've deleted Google Maps 2.0.3 (for the 5th time). What you say makes sense but how do I find a lower version of Google Maps. When I go to googl.com/gmm all they show to download is 2.0.3. I also tried google.com/glm and got the same thing. And I couldn't find the link to an earlier version in this thread - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...ht=Google+Maps). I'm new to this stuff so I don't know my way around this forum, or the Blackberry for that matter.

akosnitzky
04-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes. It is showing 2.03 at this time.

robertmcanally
04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I upgraded my 8700g to 2.0.3 two nights ago. (My 8700g OS is 2.3.084.) Everything was cool until today. This morning I opened it when I was driving to a client meeting, to play with it. So-so accuracy but no other issues.

Then when I tried to make a call, the "Calling" screen appeared for a few seconds then a popup text box opened and immediately closed, saying something like "Radio not available" or words to that effect, and the call cancelled.

I tried 3-4 times to make a call, to different numbers. I tried shutting off the radio itself, 2-3 times, still no joy. I opened google maps and made sure I did an "exit", vs just holding down the right/side button. No joy.

Finally I went into Options/Advanced/Applications and deleted google maps. It said I needed to do a reset, which I did. When the unit came back up, still no joy. I reset it a 2nd time, and finally I could call out. I have no idea if any calls tried to come in, but there were no voice messages indicated.

Anybody else have this happen? It seems pretty clear to me that 2.0.3 was the culprit. Perhaps it was just a giant coincidence, but I have too much gray hair to believe in such things.

I like google maps a lot, though "My Location" beta is still a bit flawed, maybe MORE than a bit... I will probably download and install 2.0.1.

Weird.

akosnitzky
04-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

I could send the link over but if you fo to Google Groups for Google Maps, you should be able to find what they refer to as an archived, older version. The 2.03 problem is a more widespread issue it seems.