PDA

View Full Version : Gmail - IMAP vs. POP and forwarding

RedSoxFan
04-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I currently have an 8703 and forward my Gmail account to my verzion.blackberry.net account. I do this so my Gmail is "pushed" to my phone instantly instead of the typical POP email whereas my account is polled. However, I am unfamiliar with the IMAP protocol. Gmail has adopted this and states that it creates a two-way communication between two programs reading the same mail; ie: reading/sending mail from both a laptop and a blackberry device. My questions is this, does IMAP provide true "push" email or is it just like POP where it pulls?

jeremyckitching
04-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Setting up a Gmail account in BIS should give you instant push e-mail. That is how mine works. I don't have to have IMAP enabled in order to do this. I do have to have POP enabled for some reason, though, or the mail never comes.

daveyola
04-04-2008, 07:36 PM
i've got the same setup- imap really won't matter much pushing through bis, BUT there have been numerous reports that it delays reconciliation (when you enable imap instead of leaving it on pop)

SteveO86
04-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I had IMAP on my 8830 for a little while, if you use IMAP between you BlackBerry, Web Interface, and Desktop client it will not sync from BlackBerry to Desktop or visa-versa.

However it will sync read/unread messages from Web Interface to BlackBerry, as well as deleted items. (Which we have already have, deleted items that is)

There was a delay of about 10 - 15 minutes with the IMAP.

I would recommend staying with POP, IMAP has no real advantages at this time. (There were a few threads in the general discussion forums, I would read threw that if you want more information on the BlackBerry IMAP configuration)

RedSoxFan
04-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks guys.

TravelinBri
04-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I disagree that IMAP had no advantages, especially with Gmail. Using POP settings, Gmail forwards ALL received email to the device, even email that doesn't hit the Gmail inbox due to user-defined rule settings. Personally, I rely heavily on Gmail's rule functionality to sort my email. All business related email is sorted into various folders, leaving my inbox for email from friends and family. The IMAP setting allows the forwarding of only the email I care to see on my BlackBerry, without all of the other junk mail.

Until very recently, by BB service was through T-Mobile, and I never had the problem I now have with my IMAPed Gmail account. Since I switched to Verizon, I've experienced a 5 to 60 minute delay in receiving Gmail on my BB.

I had IMAP on my 8830 for a little while, if you use IMAP between you BlackBerry, Web Interface, and Desktop client it will not sync from BlackBerry to Desktop or visa-versa.

However it will sync read/unread messages from Web Interface to BlackBerry, as well as deleted items. (Which we have already have, deleted items that is)

There was a delay of about 10 - 15 minutes with the IMAP.

I would recommend staying with POP, IMAP has no real advantages at this time. (There were a few threads in the general discussion forums, I would read threw that if you want more information on the BlackBerry IMAP configuration)

tate
04-21-2008, 02:29 AM
i'm using gmail with imap.. my BB has a direct access to the account and everything works fine. gmail also stores the blackberry-sent emails in its outbox so no message is lost at all.. there's a little delay of about 5 min, i'd say..
and since gmail got a quite good spam filter, there's not much waste traffic on my bb..

greez