PDA

View Full Version : Seeking personal email sending tips with restrictive BES

WildHare
04-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Hello! Looking for advice or suggestions.

I have a nice, new 8830 from my company, replacing my Treo where I did my personal email. With my new BB, I can still receive personal email in my inbox, but can't send/reply with the personal address because of our IT Policy. Can't install 3rd party apps either. No problems with the policy, just spelling it out, because I am looking for usage tips/pointers to make sending with the personal address as easy as I can make it.

Right now, if I get a personal email that needs a reply, I launch my browser and respond via yahoo that way. And, because the web-based email interface is kinda hard to use to address multiple contacts, I don't compose new messages if I can avoid it.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions how to better reply to or send messages from my personal email address, given these restrictions? Did a quick search and most posts seemed to be people trying to understand the IT had restrictions, not usage tips.

Thanks!

djm2
04-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Find out how concerned your IT staff/BES administrators are about infrequent personal emails being routed through the company email servers. Assuming they are OK with it on occasion, tell your personal contacts that you will reply only when necessary, and that they (your personal contacts) should be aware that replies are not necessarily confidential.

penguin3107
04-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Here's a thought... how about not doing ANY personal email on your corporate BlackBerry?
The IT Policy restrictions are in place for a reason. Clearly they don't want you using your device for personal reasons... so maybe you should respect that before you lose your job.

Additionally, I would imagine that your BES administrator is also auditing your web browsing, so it's probably only a matter of time before they find out that you're using the browser for personal email.

WildHare
04-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Penguin, I appreciate your concern about my employment. I am comfortable with and understand our IT policies, including monitoring.

Perhaps my question was an unreasonable one, in which case I will understand if no other suggestions come. Like I said, other threads I found delt with the debate about IT policy fairness or invasiveness, which I don't wish to debate. Simply looking for discussion with users having similar experiences.

djm2, good advice to let my friends and family know that our email is not confidential as a result of the device I use. I know I would appreciate knowing that if I were on the other end of the email, and I will do so.

To clarify, was just looking to see if anyone had any suggestions how to quickly switch to web browser and grab a bookmark - stuff like that. Not looking for suggestions how to hack a way to respond from my messaging application. Sorry that I wasn't clear - totally my fault on that one.

kjjb0204
04-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Agree with penguin. The IT policy is there so you CAN'T do what you're trying to do. So, just don't do it. It's not your blackberry and it's not your service.

Dubdub
04-12-2008, 01:54 PM
My suggestion is use another device for personal stuff.