PDA

View Full Version : Writing a Push Application

Spartan115
04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if in order to write a push application you need to have a BES server? Or can you just write your own?
Thanks in advance

simon.hain
04-16-2008, 03:13 AM
for a real push the BES is needed as only the BES can contact the device directly as there is nothing like a public ip-adress.
you can use mail-push, which means you implement a mail-listener that looks for certain mails, processes the information and deletes it.

jlangr
07-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the answer; I too am new to Blackberry development.

What about SMS-based messaging? I am building an application that would require sporadic but continual server push to a good number of registered clients. The messages would be small, under the limit of 160 characters.

My specific question is, what's required to be able to send SMS from an application server? A google search reveals a large number of SMS gateway providers--is that essential? I'm looking for a low-cost solution here--hopefully these aren't per-message costs.

Any downsides of this approach?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Jeff L.

MBW
07-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I trust you are - or soon will be - in the BlackBerry Alliance ISV support program. The info and other support from and through them is quite valuable.

For push applications, make a point of learning about their Web Signals API.

jlangr
07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I took a quick look at the Alliance ISV program--looks like there is no membership fee, correct? (I'm trying to do this first on a shoestring budget until I figure whether or not it's a viable product.)

Regarding Web Signals, I found very little on it, and clicking on a link at the BlackBerry site itself sent me to a nonexistent page. Looks like an API to allow automated notifications of application version updates--or is there more?

Regards,
Jeff