PDA

View Full Version : Require assistance with Blackberry 8800 & 8310

djk0ng
04-19-2008, 05:49 AM
Hello All ,

Firstly id like to say this is a great forum with alot of great info. I am hoping someone with some experience and knowledge can help me out because im going crazy.

The company i work for purchased a large number of blackberry units from our Global IT Team. The Global Team has given me in Australia approximately 20 units to use. I have given a unit to a relative of mine & have done the following but no one can assist me & im going in circles.

* The Blackberry units maybe from any telco worldwide.

* I contacted blackberry in canada via phone & they advised me some of my handsets where registered to T-Mobile in Germany , when i asked to have them removed they advised me since i was not a RIM supplier they would charge me 39 Euro per handset to have them removed from there DB. I was advised if i went to a Australia telco , voda , optus , telstra that once i purchased a data plan for a blackberry device that it would just work. Also some other info i was told is the Telco in Australia can ask RIM to remove it from the db hence saving me 39 Euro since they have a support contract.

* When i reset the handheld & do a factory reset i get a msg to register my blackberry at the following link

BlackBerry Internet Service

I try my imei & pin to get this device is currently with another service provider.

* I went to the blackberry wiki which showed me how to see if your device is locked....when checking these unit they are unlocked.

The IT guys overseas have told me that due to them running GSM overseas they dont have this issue but becoz we in OZ r using CDMA this maybe a issue down under is this true ??

These devices will require to be used for personal email as i know if i was using a Enterprise server this would not be a issue...is that correct ??

Any help will be greatly appreciated as im hoping all these devices dont end up being door stoppers.

JSanders
04-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Welcome to the Forum.

It appears you are mixing a couple issues, but first--you failed to state what BlackBerry model it is you are tying to activate (the unit you gave to your relative?)?

a. If the PIN and IMEI is registered to another carrier, that means that BB was never removed from the former carrier. That has nothing to needing the device "unlocked" to be used on a carrier other than for which it is branded.

b. GSM devices will ONLY work on GSM networks, and CDMA devices will only work on CDMA networks. That cannot be "unlocked". You cannot unlock that. It is like coal in a steam engine and jet fuel in a jet--you can't mix the two.

If it has an IMEI #, then it is a GSM device. You can ONLY activate it on a GSM carrier.

djk0ng
04-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi JSanders ,

The models i am trying to activate are blackberry 8800 & 8310.

a ) Yes the IMEI & PIN is registered to another network i need to get it removed from the network. When i reset the device to factiry default i get a message from t-mobile telling me to register at BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.instantemail.t-mobile.de)

b ) In AUstralia i am trying to register at BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.telstra.blackberry.com)

What must i do to get the email on this device working as i have signed to a data plan & am still having no luck registering to BIS.

ricpac
04-19-2008, 10:47 AM
djk0ng, both devices you mentioned are GSM BlackBerrys and will work on any GSM carrier. And since you mentioned they're unlocked, then they should work--except that, you need to get the PIN removed or "unhooked" from the previous carrier say T-Mobile in Germany. And for having that "unhooked" from their system, I would follow this line on your first post: Also some other info i was told is the Telco in Australia can ask RIM to remove it from the db hence saving me 39 Euro since they have a support contract.

djk0ng
04-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Hello Ripac ,

I tryed as you are suggesting above but the telco was no help. I have 20 or so more of these units & am unsure of what telco some of them are hooked to ( units where sourced globally ). Is there any method i can use to make these units register to any provider worldwide.

I have had these devices for sometime & ever telco etc i ask i get a different story or method.

ricpac
04-19-2008, 07:37 PM
The best way is to contact RIM then as I'm sure they can do a PIN lookup and they could just check it out with whichever carrier like what you said:
I contacted blackberry in canada via phone & they advised me some of my handsets where registered to T-Mobile in Germany , when i asked to have them removed they advised me since i was not a RIM supplier they would charge me 39 Euro per handset to have them removed from there DB.

jonjay7072
04-20-2008, 04:02 AM
HELP
I am getting an error message on my 8800

Uncaught exception:
java.lang.classcastexceptio

and i am unable to update to the lasted OS as this message stops me from use my Blackberry cant download call or do anythink is therer a way i can download the new OS via the USB i am unable to file the file and am only able to upload .alx file to my Blackberry,

can anyone please help me

JSanders
04-20-2008, 07:47 AM
You can ONLY load or upgrade the OS to your device via the USB, not over the air.

This is the latest OS for your 8800. Follow the instructions there to re-load the os:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/122972-latest-8800-os-4-2-1-193-4-2-1-115-multilanguage.html

or this if you need:
How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.net/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F)