PDA

View Full Version : no data plan unable to access web

technovice
04-19-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi All

I have a 8100 and using my O2 sim. I have access configured in the contract but unable to access internet on blackberry. i donot have any icon to launch the browser. i did try going to options -> advanced options to browser but a blank screen and nothing. got some info on web regarding APN and fed that info into TCP settings but no success still got the same message " data connection refused" I called the service provider(O2) was told to register blackberry with them at a monthly charge. I have read a lot of threads on this forum but unable to find with a similar problem.
Please help
Thanks.:-(

akosnitzky
04-19-2008, 06:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

By reading your title, understand that you will not be able to access the web without a data plan.

ezrunner
04-19-2008, 06:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (life goes on! yes it is tough)

You can try loading opera mini using app loader in DM. And may be able to use limited internet access

But as stated aove you really need BB data plan

akosnitzky
04-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

See link
http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F

Foxglove
04-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Hello

First BB's do not work on pay and go sim cards if you are looking for all the Blackberry Features. As someone else said you may be able to get Opera Mini to work but there is no quarantee of that.

Cheapest way to get an o2 Blackberry Tariff is to get a simplicity sim card ( this is a pay monthly sim whith only a minimum of 1 month contract) add to this o2's £10 Blackberry Internet Service Plan (this is for a minimum of 6 months so really you have to keep the simplicity sim for the duration of this contract).

Simplicity sim's start at £15 for 200 mins & 200 texts.

technovice
04-19-2008, 06:54 AM
but some threads say that it is possible to access internet w/o data plan although email might be a problem.
Like this one from Jsanders
" 04-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Without a data plan, you won't get BlackBerry push email, you will have the Wifi browser.
What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ"

Do i need to tweak the system a bit to get it working. How do i open the web browser. there is no icon in apps. i do get the gprs and edge icons on the top right corner but just below it says data connection refused. do i need to install a browser in first place.
really do not know.
also the maps do not work. all i see is grey diagonal lines.

technovice
04-19-2008, 07:05 AM
hi foxglove
you are right. i have a post paid contract with O2 and it includes web access. I intially had an XDA but bought an unlocked 8100 and put the O2 card in. is there a default BB browser ? what is the pathway for opening a browser?
its a shame despite the advanced machine i am still using it for making and receiving calls only.

Foxglove
04-19-2008, 07:06 AM
You will not get the BB browser without a data plan.

Try downloading the Opera Mini Browser as this is the only way you may be able to do it with out a data plan. It may or may not work and you will still need a general o2 data plan otherwise you will be charged per mb.

Opera mini will need o2's mobile web apn settings entered onto the BB. You will proablaly still need a pay monthly sim card not pay and go.

to do this go to options > advanced options > TCP and enter:_

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Username : mobileweb
Password: password

there are also 02 wap settings but I am not sure that Opera works well on this:

APN : wap.o2.co.uk
Username: o2wap
Password: password

Usinjg Opera Mini means you will have to access your email online, you will be unable to use other Bb features such as E mail PIN messaging or BBmessenger. You will have to do most of your downloading of applications by the Desktop Manager. Indeed you will have to install opera mini this way.

The maps will not work without a data plan as it downloads maps from the interent. Not sure if BB maps will use Opera Mini.

technovice
04-19-2008, 07:21 AM
i presume apn settings are of no use w/o a browser installed. last week i got O2 wap settings from the web and updated BB apn settings but no success. i have downloaded the mini browser just now its a zip. how do i get it to DM.
I am on a monthly plan with unlimited internet access so presume will be able to get the maps once installed.
how do you access the micro data card.i have a micro card in the device.
Asking too many questions i am . hope not bothering you.

Thanks

Foxglove
04-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Ask me anything you want.

The micro sd card goes under the battery, weird I know!

Loading via Desktop manager you need to unzip the file, either right click and select unszip or double click the file and it will unzip. This will give you an alx file.

Now plug in BB, open desktop manager, select application loader then select add. go find the alx file and click it, this puts it in the list on the screen, click next and then maybe next again too (can'tremember) and the file should be loaded to the BB.

With a BB the apn settings need a browser (Opera mini) you will NOT get the BBbrowser to woek at all without a BB data plan.

The 8100 does not a have wifi, If you had wifi things would be easier maybe.

technovice
04-19-2008, 07:52 AM
actually i wanted to know how to access the card electronically. like viewing contents etc. Is it possible to transfer applications to the card and install from the card. don't know.
I have installed mini but it is asking about some mass storage mode
any ideas?

cheerio

Foxglove
04-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Applications do not go on the sd card . sd card is for media/music etc only.

You can plug in your BB to the pc and use it much as you would a USB key to drag and drop your music, or use the media manager on Desktop Manager.

I will have to have a look for a link for you as I do not fiddle about with music much but you do have to turn your mass storage mode to on when plugged into the pc. Go to options > advance options> media card & turn media crad support to on and auto enable mass storage mode when connected to on.

If you have a password on the BB you will need to put that in if requested.

How do I add media files to my microSD card? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_add_media_files_to_my_microSD_card%3F)

technovice
04-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Gr8 guys on this forum
i haev succesfully installed opera mini and now able to browse internet.
Thanks to you all.
any idea or link on how to download maps e.g telenav or google. I know 8100 does not have gps so will have to use the internet but thats ok.

cheerio

Foxglove
04-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Mobile (http://www.google.com/mobile) - go there from your BB and see if you can download it via opera. You may have to use Desktop Manager, not sure.

For telenav, here is a link to a 30 day trial.

Voice directions on your GPS phone: TeleNav (http://www.telenav.com/)